Page 479 of 535 [ 8549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 476, 477, 478, 479, 480, 481, 482 ... 535  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 6:15 pm

CDC study shows 74% of people infected in Massachusetts Covid outbreak were fully vaccinated

Quote:
About three-fourths of people infected in a Massachusetts Covid-19 outbreak were fully vaccinated against the coronavirus with four of them ending up in the hospital, according to new data published Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The new data, published in the U.S. agency’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, also found that fully vaccinated people who get infected carry as much of the virus in their nose as unvaccinated people, and could spread it to other individuals.

“This finding is concerning and was a pivotal discovery leading to CDC’s updated mask recommendation,” CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said in a statement. “The masking recommendation was updated to ensure the vaccinated public would not unknowingly transmit virus to others, including their unvaccinated or immunocompromised loved ones.”

On Tuesday, the CDC reversed course on its prior guidance and recommended fully vaccinated Americans who live in areas with high Covid infection rates resume wearing face masks indoors. The guidelines cover about two-thirds of the U.S. population, according to a CNBC analysis.

A CDC document that was reviewed by CNBC warned that the delta variant sweeping across the country is as contagious as chickenpox, has a longer transmission window than the original Covid strain and may make older people sicker, even if they’ve been fully vaccinated.

Delta, now in at least 132 countries and already the dominant form of the disease in the United States, is more transmissible than the common cold, the 1918 Spanish flu, smallpox, Ebola, MERS and SARS, according to the document. Only measles appears to spread faster than the variant.

The data published Friday was based on 469 cases of Covid associated with multiple summer events and large public gatherings held in July in Barnstable County, Massachusetts, which encompasses Cape Cod and is just outside Martha’s Vineyard. The events were held in Provincetown, according to NBC News. Approximately three-quarters, or 74%, of the cases occurred in fully vaccinated people who had completed a two-dose course of the mRNA vaccines or received a single shot of Johnson & Johnson’s.

Overall, 274 vaccinated patients with a breakthrough infection were symptomatic, according to the CDC. The most common side effects were cough, headache, sore throat, muscle pain and fever. Among five Covid patients who were hospitalized, four were fully vaccinated, according to the agency. No deaths were reported.

Testing identified the delta variant in 90% of specimens from 133 patients.

The CDC also said the report is “insufficient” to draw conclusions about the effectiveness of the authorized vaccines against Covid, including the delta variant, during this outbreak.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 10:46 pm

Good to know that CDC has decided to stop playing games and follow the recommendations of WHO :roll:

Also this: Doctors Worry That Memory Problems After COVID-19 May Set The Stage For Alzheimer's

No surprises, here. Earlier studies were finding Lewy bodies in the brains of COVID victims...many Long Covid symptoms mirror those of Alzheimer's/dementia.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 5:53 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Good to know that CDC has decided to stop playing games and follow the recommendations of WHO :roll:

Also this: Doctors Worry That Memory Problems After COVID-19 May Set The Stage For Alzheimer's

No surprises, here. Earlier studies were finding Lewy bodies in the brains of COVID victims...many Long Covid symptoms mirror those of Alzheimer's/dementia.

It's too bad we still have to say this but COVID is not a hyped-up version of the common cold or flu. Mitigation should be much stricter than for the same amount of "typical flu"

Florida breaks record for COVID-19 hospitalizations
Quote:
A day after it recorded the most new daily cases since the start of the pandemic, Florida on Sunday broke a previous record for current hospitalizations set more than a year ago before vaccines were available.

The Sunshine State had 10,207 people hospitalized with confirmed COVID-19 cases, according to data reported to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.

The previous record was from July 23, 2020, more than a half-year before vaccinations started becoming widespread, when Florida had 10,170 hospitalizations, according to the Florida Hospital Association.

Florida is now leading the nation in per capita hospitalizations for COVID-19, as hospitals around the state report having to put emergency room visitors in beds in hallways and others document a noticeable drop in the age of patients.

Federal health data released Saturday showed that Florida reported 21,683 new cases of COVID-19, the state’s highest one-day total since the start of the pandemic. The latest numbers were recorded on Friday and released on Saturday on the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s website. The figures show how quickly the number of cases is rising in the Sunshine State: only a day earlier, Florida reported 17,093 new daily cases.

Throughout Florida, from Jacksonville to Miami to Tampa, hospitals have become overwhelmed.

Barry Burton, the Pinellas County administrator, told the Tampa Bay Times that some local hospitals are already having to divert ambulances to different locations because of capacity concerns.

There has been a startling rise in the number of children with the virus at hospitals in Miami, many of them requiring intensive care.

The Mayo Clinic hospital in Jacksonville said it had exceeded its capacity of 304 licensed beds due to COVID-19 cases and asked the Agency for Health Care Administration for permission to operate overcapacity until the current surge ends, First Coast News in Jacksonville reported Sunday.

At the UF Health North hospital emergency room in Jacksonville, COVID-19 patients once again were being put in beds in hallways due to a surge in visits.

Unvaccinated Covid-19 patients are filling up hospitals, putting the care of others at risk, doctors say
Quote:
Hospitals are surging with unvaccinated patients infected with the Delta variant -- which could affect car accident victims and other non-Covid-19 patients who need hospital care, doctors say.

"None of these patients thought they would get the virus, but the Delta variant has proven to be so highly contagious that even the young and the healthy, including pregnant patients, are now starting to fill up our hospitals," said Dr. Neil Finkler, chief clinical officer for AdventHealth Central Florida.

More than 90% of the hospitalized Covid-19 patients are unvaccinated, he said.
In Austin, Texas, "Our ICU capacity is reaching a critical point where the level of risk to the entire community has significantly increased, and not just to those who are needing treatment for COVID," Austin-Travis County Health Authority Dr. Desmar Walkes said in a statement.

In Mississippi, Covid-19 hospitalizations have increased significantly -- including among younger patients, State Health Officer Thomas Dobbs said. All 88 beds in the University of Mississippi Medical Center's intensive care unit had filled up by Friday, according to data from the state's health department.

And in Louisiana, "We're becoming victims of the unvaccinated," said Dr. Christopher Thomas, critical care physician at Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center in Baton Rouge.

"We currently are overwhelming our bed capacity. We're creating burnout for our teams. And honestly, we're beginning to impact the rest of the health care for the community."

As more Americans become educated about the Delta variant, vaccinations are increasing.
Nationwide, the rate of vaccinations this past week is up more than 25% compared to three weeks ago.

In Alabama and Arkansas, which both have about 35% of residents fully vaccinated, the rates of new doses given have doubled compared to three weeks ago.

Ohio has had "a significant increase" in vaccination rates, particularly in rural areas, Republican Gov. Mike DeWine said Sunday.

We have a lot of members in these states. To you, all I can say is stay safe as best as you can until Delta burns itself out which hopefully will be soon.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 5:25 am

And all over the world, too.

Indonesia is getting kicked in the butt, averaging nearly 2,000 deaths over at least the past two weeks.

It’s because of lack of vaccinations there.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 4:48 pm

Y’all certainly aren’t helping my worries about COVID. I just walked into a GameStop and an employee came up to me and made me put on a mask. Totally a sign that the delta variant isn’t gonna stop me from living life how I want. :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 5:11 pm

All right. So you wore the mask. Good for you.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 9:12 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:
Totally a sign that the delta variant isn’t gonna stop me from living life how I want. :roll:

Long Hauler Covid has stopped me from living life how I want. I spend a lot of time lying down or sitting. I can't even eat high-histamine foods without regretting it.
Being told to wear a mask in public does not even begin to compare.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 9:19 pm

There is not that much point in watching or reading the news, over here.
Every thing/k is about covid.
I'm over it. :roll:

Just sayin'. ;)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 9:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
And all over the world, too.

Indonesia is getting kicked in the butt, averaging nearly 2,000 deaths over at least the past two weeks.

Nature's way of culling certain people from the gene pool and life in general. 8O
Charming. 8)

Don't you just luv god and his mysterious ways? :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 6:38 am

Indonesia will get through this just fine….trust me.

Tragedy for the people who had to suffer—but they’re a resilient bunch. Their genes are solid.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 9:48 am

Non Sequitur

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 10:34 pm

Another variant.
https://thehill.com/changing-america/we ... the-lambda

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 3:26 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:
Y’all certainly aren’t helping my worries about COVID. I just walked into a GameStop and an employee came up to me and made me put on a mask. Totally a sign that the delta variant isn’t gonna stop me from living life how I want. :roll:

Unless it's a military grade gas mask it will not keep out a virus.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 3:29 pm

Misslizard wrote:

It's mutating so much because it's been through so many replications. RNA viruses like covid mutate quickly because RNA polymerase lacks proofreading.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 11:53 pm

Axeman wrote:
Unless it's a military grade gas mask it will not keep out a virus.

Masking doesn't keep the virus out, it helps to prevent one from expelling respiratory droplets that contain the virus.

So yeah, simply wearing a mask doesn't protect you as much as everyone else masking up does.

...but that's too hard for most Americans to understand... :roll: (not an attack on you, BTW, just a general vent)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 11:56 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Masking doesn't keep the virus out, it helps to prevent one from expelling respiratory droplets that contain the virus.

So yeah, simply wearing a mask doesn't protect you as much as everyone else masking up does.

...but that's too hard for most Americans to understand... :roll: (not an attack on you, BTW, just a general vent)

I agree. I'm not sure why people don't understand it. (No attack on Axeman either).

Gloves, clean hands, not touching your face, disinfecting products -- all good for self-protection

Masks -- good for protecting others

Rocket science huh. Who knew.