Page 3 of 13 [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 11:32 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Many don’t want to go to shelters because you can’t smoke, drink or do drugs.

Actually the main reason for avoiding shelters, or at least traditional shelters, is the lack of privacy, and hence the danger of having one's stuff stolen when asleep. Shelters with small single rooms would be much better than traditional shelters with several people per room.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 12:37 am

Bucket o' poop??? :eew:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 12:58 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
They have nice tiny houses for the homeless in Springfield,MO.They have a no tolerance for drug/alcohol/cigarettes use and you either go to rehab or live elsewhere.

https://edenvillageusa.org/springfield-mo/

It truly helps those that just need help getting back on their feet.
It’s what to do with potentially violent or severely mentally ill homeless.

Are these tiny houses located near any decent public transportation?

Bus.That’s all.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 1:06 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Many don’t want to go to shelters because you can’t smoke, drink or do drugs.

Actually the main reason for avoiding shelters, or at least traditional shelters, is the lack of privacy, and hence the danger of having one's stuff stolen when asleep. Shelters with small single rooms would be much better than traditional shelters with several people per room.

When a group showed up to help some homeless move out of a tent village into a shelter, most refused citing they wanted to smoke and pursue other activities.I’m sure privacy is also an issue.This was during an unusually cold winter ,people were worried they would freeze.The homeless just moved the tent village to another location.The only other reason given for not going was you can’t bring your pets and that’s a shame.
Homelessness may be different in a large city ,but in this area they squat on private land and set up groups of tents.Soon the property is trashed and the owner has to clean the mess up.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 1:09 am

the rich must be less rich so the poor may live. if not, expect more of this $h!+.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 1:26 am

Everyone should have a clean safe bed to sleep in and a full belly.
There’s money to do it ,if only people with $$$ would turn loose of some of it.
There has to be a way to separate the homeless with behavior issues from the general population.Some people need more supervision and mental health services, for their own safety and others.
Nobody wants to be spit or have poop flung on with a pandemic going on.Or at any other time for that matter.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 1:49 am

Misslizard wrote:
There has to be a way to separate the homeless with behavior issues from the general population.Some people need more supervision and mental health services, for their own safety and others.
Nobody wants to be spit or have poop flung on with a pandemic going on.Or at any other time for that matter.

I feel no obligation to them, and I live in a state with Castle and Stand Your Ground laws, meaning I can legally shoot trespassers.

I'd ask you the same question I asked DW namely since many of these people are unemployable what do you think should be done with them?

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 1:53 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Seattle's best. :skull:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 2:06 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
You didn't have a surveillance camera at the checkout counter?

(Here in NYC, pretty near every storefront business has a video camera or two, and larger stores have multiple cameras. It's been that way for many decades.)

Of course I did, but what use is it when the police won't do anything, and I'm already busy enough with the restaurant?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 3:14 am

Axeman wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

oh that's cold. ;)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 4:11 am

Back in my college days, I took a poetry workshop in EWU's Spokane Center from a poet originally from Chicago. She said, unlike back home, Spokane street people actually carry on conversations with you.
I quipped: "They were probably former students."
Not to worry, she thought what I said was funny.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 4:36 am

Dox47 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

(Here in NYC, pretty near every storefront business has a video camera or two, and larger stores have multiple cameras. It's been that way for many decades.)

Of course I did, but what use is it when the police won't do anything, and I'm already busy enough with the restaurant?

There is a youtube video with a woman caught red handed for felony retail theft. Despite video evidence of her guilt the case was ultimately dismissed and her record expunged. Many such cases aren't even investigated even with video evidence.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 4:58 am

Axeman wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

There is a youtube video with a woman caught red handed for felony retail theft. Despite video evidence of her guilt the case was ultimately dismissed and her record expunged. Many such cases aren't even investigated even with video evidence.

I just really hope you are not talking about the video where the cop tazed a woman with dementia. because yes the employees called the cops for theft but when the theif was found it was an old woman with dementia who had walked out of the store with a couple items not knowing where she was like she was found wandering down the street and the cops who got to her were brutal with her when she was just a confused old woman with dementia. But maybe you are talking of something different, I just hope you are not saying the woman with obvious dementia and mental problems was more at fault than the cops for the handling of the situation.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 5:01 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

I just really hope you are not talking about the video where the cop tazed a woman with dementia. because yes the employees called the cops for theft but when the theif was found it was an old woman with dementia who had walked out of the store with a couple items not knowing where she was like she was found wandering down the street and the cops who got to her were brutal with her when she was just a confused old woman with dementia. But maybe you are talking of something different, I just hope you are not saying the woman with obvious dementia and mental problems was more at fault than the cops for the handling of the situation.

No. Young blonde woman. No taser.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 8:10 am

auntblabby wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

oh that's cold. ;)

Well the article says it was hot... :twisted:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 10:38 am

Axeman wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I feel no obligation to them, and I live in a state with Castle and Stand Your Ground laws, meaning I can legally shoot trespassers.

I'd ask you the same question I asked DW namely since many of these people are unemployable what do you think should be done with them?

I live in the Ozarks.You can guess what we do with trespassers.
Some are unemployable.Some are disabled and have disability income but need supervision with their funds.Some are veterans with VA benefits.Some are seriously mentally ill.Then there are just deadbeats who wouldn’t work but prefer to steal and live on the streets.That’s the ones you can’t help, they don’t want it.You can’t just lump them all together.
The VA should do more for homeless vets, they served and should be cared for,the mentally ill should have a place to stay with supervision, temporary housing for those who lost their job and were evicted.
That leaves the ones that don’t want help.They will most likely wind up in jail.Now they have a roof over their heads.