US conservative commentator demands US invades Australia

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 8:48 pm

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Didn't you know that the US right wing generally doesn't trust any polls except their own? And that it wouldn't matter how much evidence there was on the prevailing local opinion, as long as there was anyone shouting tyranny?

I'm not even being ironic. I can't remember ever being able to convince a conservative debate opponent that they hold a minority opinion regardless of how much I show them. When they do know their position is unpopular, its often - in their opinion - only because everyone else is brainwashed. I must say, the right way has concocted the perfect propaganda machine.

You say all that as if it's unique to the right, when it's just less subtle on that side. Have you ever seen me convince a liberal of anything even when what we're arguing about is on video and it's obvious they're incorrect?

Confirmation bias is obviously a very real thing. I understand the point, but has the left undermined the reliability of all data itself? Maybe its just my vantage point, but the right has made a science of rendering distrust of news and information.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 9:28 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Confirmation bias is obviously a very real thing. I understand the point, but has the left undermined the reliability of all data itself?

Yes!

Why do you think people on the right seem more susceptible to conspiracy theories and other outlandish ideas? It's because they know full well that media and academia are controlled by the left (not in a conspiracy kind of way, but in an overwhelmingly populated by way), and thus any information coming from them is tainted, and they go looking for alternate sources, some of which are less than reliable. The truth is that all media and science are subject to bias, but people on the right are more likely to notice it because the most common bias in media and science goes against them and thus sticks out to them, and this distrust then leads to some odd places, such as conspiracy theories and a reflexive skepticism of empirical data that isn't always justified.

DW_a_mom wrote:
Maybe its just my vantage point, but the right has made a science of rendering distrust of news and information.

It is your vantage point, as the news and information they're sowing doubt about is not trustworthy, which you'd likely be more able to see if it didn't go in a direction pleasing to you.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 9:38 pm

Why do you think people on the right seem more susceptible to conspiracy theories and other outlandish ideas? It's because they know full well that media and academia are controlled by the left (not in a conspiracy kind of way, but in an overwhelmingly populated by way), and thus any information coming from them is tainted, and they go looking for alternate sources, some of which are less than reliable.

According to that logic it's equivalent of cutting of one's nose to spite their face. I am thinking of the 75 million Americans, many of whom have children who would put their faith (and children's lives) in conservative commentators spouting rather "alternative" opinions about COVID rather than listen to scientists and doctors.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 9:43 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Didn't you know that the US right wing generally doesn't trust any polls except their own? And that it wouldn't matter how much evidence there was on the prevailing local opinion, as long as there was anyone shouting tyranny?

Not only do these commentators not know geography, their general knowledge is pretty poor. We have a conservative coalition federal government led by a prime minister who loved Trump.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... priorities

Would be like the Americans declaring war on the British during WWII :lol:

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 9:59 pm

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Confirmation bias is obviously a very real thing. I understand the point, but has the left undermined the reliability of all data itself?

Yes!

Why do you think people on the right seem more susceptible to conspiracy theories and other outlandish ideas? It's because they know full well that media and academia are controlled by the left (not in a conspiracy kind of way, but in an overwhelmingly populated by way), and thus any information coming from them is tainted, and they go looking for alternate sources, some of which are less than reliable. The truth is that all media and science are subject to bias, but people on the right are more likely to notice it because the most common bias in media and science goes against them and thus sticks out to them, and this distrust then leads to some odd places, such as conspiracy theories and a reflexive skepticism of empirical data that isn't always justified.

DW_a_mom wrote:
Maybe its just my vantage point, but the right has made a science of rendering distrust of news and information.

It is your vantage point, as the news and information they're sowing doubt about is not trustworthy, which you'd likely be more able to see if it didn't go in a direction pleasing to you.

I find it false that the right deemed information unreliable solely because those obtaining it tend to have political views that are liberal. There used to be a full set of professional standards journalists held themselves to, that included education on how to see and present information without bias. Until the right made an issue of it in the 1980s, you didn't see factually different reporting in "left leaning" v "right leaning" news sources. The difference were subtle, mostly related to what they choose to cover, plus opinion sections, and we knew they existed, but it wasn't blatant. I felt comfortable back then following news sources regardless of how they leaned. I am actually old enough to remember how news used to be. Oh, and I grew up conservative, so ...

The right wasn't happy with that system and decided it needed clearly biased "news entertainment" in order to "balance" the scales. It is the right that ran quickly to "we aren't news" when challenged in court on their factual reporting, not the so called "mass media." There is a story in that, IMHO, because legal professionals and standards for what is admissible as fact are NOT, by population, inherently left leaning and, in fact, are based on hundreds of years of experience and data.

Today, yes, there is bias and "news entertainment" on the left. But I'll hold firm that is was the right that set out to shred all concept of professional standards and reliability. Right wing news entertainment has made a lot of money for people, but there is no comparison between news entertainment, and actual news. The loss of universally accepted and adhered to standards is deep.

I do understand your theory on trust, but which is the chicken and which is the egg? Is this topic part of your recent deep dive reading? Sorry, I can’t remember.

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 22 Oct 2021, 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2021, 11:33 pm

...and why is anyone caring what some nutjob says?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 11:45 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

While US rightwing commentators are keen to portray Australians suffering under tyranny, the public health measures adopted by federal, state and territory governments have been overwhelmingly supported by the Australian population.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... sed-people

Didn't you know that the US right wing doesn't trust any polls except their own? And that it wouldn't matter how much evidence there was on the prevailing local opinion, as long as there was anyone shouting tyranny?

I'm not even being ironic. I can't remember ever being able to convince a conservative debate opponent that they hold a minority opinion regardless of how much I show them. When they do know their position is unpopular, its only because everyone else is brainwashed. I must say, the right way has concocted the perfect propaganda machine.

It seems to be how they protect themselves from realizing they're a shrinking minority trying to impose their preferences on the majority.

The irony is, some on the right think the some on the left are closed-minded, also. :mrgreen:
There isn't a binary here. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 11:52 pm

Dial1194 wrote:

Because he is living in their heads rent-free. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 11:57 pm

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

Yes!

DW_a_mom wrote:

If people think there is *never* political BS on either side, at times, god help them. 8O

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 12:01 am

Dial1194 wrote:

Because this nutjob may contest another nutjob in the 2024 US elections

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 12:05 am

Pepe wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

Yes!

DW_a_mom wrote:

If people think there is *never* political BS on either side, at times, god help them. 8O

I wouldn’t make that claim, but the games played by each side are definitely differently. The assault on data has been mostly a uniquely right wing game here in the US.

Data can be distorted, I know that. It is interesting for me to try to take a conservative designed survey because on a lot of them there is no response I can honestly say yes to. You either answer in the way that supports their goal, or you have to check an extreme position on the other side. Surely both sides can play that game, but not all data gets tainted by leading questions.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 12:14 am

o

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 6:01 am

For anyone interested in her actual words, rather than an editorialised transcript:

She makes it quite clear it wasn't a serious suggestion.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 10:41 am

cyberdad wrote:
...listen to scientists and doctors.
"Scientists and doctors" these days are George Soros's puppets! I don't trust anything they say. We had hydroxychloroquinine since April 2020, and Ivermectin since this past fall (autumn). But "scientists and doctors" deny their effectiveness, because that undermines the message Soros paid them to push, not to mention Big Pharma's profits. They also insist the world is turning into a hot inferno, while it's -40* degrees and 10 feet (3 meters) of snow outside. Democrats tell people to wash their hands to slow the scamdemic, but end up washing people's brains instead.

As for invading Australia, no need. I believe in "America first". We can't be responsible for people halfway around the world, that don't even have normal animals like deer and bears :). We need to protect our own people before we worry about others. Plus, I have my Q friends, so my social life is mostly safe. Other people are free to either find their own Q friends or blindly worship the New World Order.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 5:56 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
...listen to scientists and doctors.
"Scientists and doctors" these days are George Soros's puppets! I don't trust anything they say. We had hydroxychloroquinine since April 2020, and Ivermectin since this past fall (autumn). But "scientists and doctors" deny their effectiveness, because that undermines the message Soros paid them to push, not to mention Big Pharma's profits. They also insist the world is turning into a hot inferno, while it's -40* degrees and 10 feet (3 meters) of snow outside. Democrats tell people to wash their hands to slow the scamdemic, but end up washing people's brains instead.

As for invading Australia, no need. I believe in "America first". We can't be responsible for people halfway around the world, that don't even have normal animals like deer and bears :). We need to protect our own people before we worry about others. Plus, I have my Q friends, so my social life is mostly safe. Other people are free to either find their own Q friends or blindly worship the New World Order.

People like you are a good part of the reason I own guns.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 6:39 pm

Axeman wrote:
People like you are a good part of the reason I own guns.

I can say the same thing about Biden voters. I gotta protect my home and my small business against getting looted by people who'd rather smash storefronts than work.