No climate change if world embraced nuclear

Page 3 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 4:38 pm

Mikah wrote:

Thank you Green a-holes, thank you so much.

On the bright side, a lot of the irrational people will be hit hard also.
Some solace, I guess. ;)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 4:43 pm

Mikah wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Mikah wrote:
There's also concern that radioactive material could be stolen by terrorists to make a dirty bomb - maybe, but it would be much easier to loot a few hospitals.

Remember the story of the kid David Hahn, who tried to build a nuclear reactor using material cannibalized from smoke detectors?

I didn't. I just looked him up, quite an amusing story if you ignore the rest of his life.

Yeah, tragic would be more appropriate. I wonder if the people who've cashed in on his tale intend on ever including the ending.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 4:49 pm

Pepe wrote:
I hear Boris is looking into expanding the coal power industry, or is he simply reopening some?

There was some talk about opening a new coal mine in Cumbria but they had to backtrack on it.

I think that was more about steel manufacturing than power generation though.

I think also we may have had to fire up some decommissioned coal power plants because there was low wind this year and the undersea power cable was out for some reason.

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2021, 5:27 pm

Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
There's a lot of pretty serious advantages of nuclear energy.
There's a lot of pretty serious disadvantages too.

It'd be nice to have more public discussions and see further developments in the field and with the risks that climate change represent it needs to be understood that the CBA when it comes to fossil fuels vs. nuclear is shifting. That said, the issues of disposing of wastes are still a serious and inadequately resolved issue.

I find that hard to believe.
But assuming you are correct, is it a greater issue than the catastrophe of "Global Warming"?
I find that hard to believe. 8)

I'm not sure if it's a greater issue, like I said, the CBA is shifting in favour of nuclear even with those inherent risks.

What has the Commonwealth Bank of Australia go to do with anything/k? <joke>
Please talk to the left-wing troglodytes, here in Australia. 8)

How quickly we forget. Three letters wil suffice: TMI. I remember that near disaster all too well, as I was a junior in college in Western PA.

To make it even more interesting, there are 3 nuclear power plants within 150 miles of my home: First Energy’s Three Mile Island in Middletown, Dauphin County (now decommissioned) and PECO’s (Filthydelphia Electric) Peach Bottom plant in southeastern Lancaster County, and both located on the Susquehanna River and Limerick Nuclear Power station, near Norristown, Montgomery County on the Schuykill (aka the Sure-kill) River.

If I had a choice of coal-powered electric generation and nuclear generation, I’ll take coal powered over nuclear power anyway. Technology has at least advanced to the point of cleaner emissions from coal-fired plants than it was over 50 years ago. Also, for me, at least, I can see what is making me sick, as compared to nuclear power.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 5:56 pm

MuddRM wrote:
Technology has at least advanced to the point of cleaner emissions from coal-fired plants than it was over 50 years ago. Also, for me, at least, I can see what is making me sick, as compared to nuclear power.

They certainly haven't done anything to reduce the carbon emissions from coal-fired plants, which is the most pressing concern related to their operation at the moment.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 6:11 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I hear Boris is looking into expanding the coal power industry, or is he simply reopening some?

There was some talk about opening a new coal mine in Cumbria but they had to backtrack on it.

I think also we may have had to fire up some decommissioned coal power plants because there was low wind this year and the undersea power cable was out for some reason.

The irony.
It has been reported that "Wind Stilling" has been caused by climate change.

I guess god doesn't want humanity to survive and snookers every action it takes. 8-O :lmao:

Quote:
Europe’s electricity generation from wind blown off course
Drop in wind speeds linked to ‘global stilling’ and climate change, scientists say

The strength of the wind blowing across northern Europe has fallen by as much as 15 per cent on average in places this year, according to data compiled by Vortex, an independent weather modelling group.

The cause of the decrease is uncertain, say scientists, but one possible explanation is a phenomenon called global stilling. This is a decrease in average surface wind speed owing to climate change.

https://www.ft.com/content/d53b5843-dbe ... c66127ea80

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 6:14 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
MuddRM wrote:
Technology has at least advanced to the point of cleaner emissions from coal-fired plants than it was over 50 years ago. Also, for me, at least, I can see what is making me sick, as compared to nuclear power.

They certainly haven't done anything to reduce the carbon emissions from coal-fired plants, which is the most pressing concern related to their operation at the moment.

I don't believe that is true for *new* coal fire plants. 8)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 6:20 pm

Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
MuddRM wrote:

You burn coal, it produces carbon dioxide, right? There's discussion of implementing technology to sequester CO2 but nothing has been towards that goal beyond discussion.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 6:25 pm

Pepe wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:
Pepe wrote:

The irony.

I guess god doesn't want humanity to survive and snookers every action it takes. 8-O :lmao:

Quote:
Drop in wind speeds linked to ‘global stilling’ and climate change, scientists say

The strength of the wind blowing across northern Europe has fallen by as much as 15 per cent on average in places this year, according to data compiled by Vortex, an independent weather modelling group.

The cause of the decrease is uncertain, say scientists, but one possible explanation is a phenomenon called global stilling. This is a decrease in average surface wind speed owing to climate change.

It's probably just normal variation, helpfully demonstrating why a "fully renewable grid" as imagined by most people just won't work - wind (and solar) is unreliable not over days, but over months and the long term energy storage necessary to survive these lulls is astronomical and can never be built.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 6:28 pm

Mikah wrote:
Pepe wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:
Pepe wrote:

The irony.

Quote:

It's probably just normal variation, helpfully demonstrating why a "fully renewable grid" as imagined by most people just won't work - wind (and solar) is unreliable not over days, but over months and the long term energy storage necessary to survive these lulls is astronomical and can never be built.

And the carbon footprint of this new technology is very large, also, so I have heard.
People generally don't think about that. 8)

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 10:56 am

Nuclear reactors are not the temperamental, skittish pressure cookers they once were. I think nuclear is the only way forward now provides idiots are kept out of the power stations.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 4:29 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
MuddRM wrote:

You burn coal, it produces carbon dioxide, right? There's discussion of implementing technology to sequester CO2 but nothing has been towards that goal beyond discussion.

Quote:
When coal burns, it releases carbon dioxide and other emissions in flue gas, the billowing clouds you see pouring out of smoke stacks. Some clean coal technologies purify the coal before it burns. One type of coal preparation, coal washing, removes unwanted minerals by mixing crushed coal with a liquid and allowing the impurities to separate and settle.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/envir ... n-coal.htm

8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 4:31 pm

Nades wrote:
Nuclear reactors are not the temperamental, skittish pressure cookers they once were. I think nuclear is the only way forward now provides idiots are kept out of the power stations.

Some people are living in the past, man. 8)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 4:46 pm

Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
MuddRM wrote:

Quote:
When coal burns, it releases carbon dioxide and other emissions in flue gas, the billowing clouds you see pouring out of smoke stacks. Some clean coal technologies purify the coal before it burns. One type of coal preparation, coal washing, removes unwanted minerals by mixing crushed coal with a liquid and allowing the impurities to separate and settle.

8)

You can't purify the carbon from coal, coal is carbon. :wink:

This explains many so-called clean coal technologies, although I would assume it has a pro-nuclear bias:
https://world-nuclear.org/information-l ... ogies.aspx

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 4:55 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
MuddRM wrote:

Quote:

8)

You can't purify the carbon from coal, coal is carbon. :wink:

This explains many so-called clean coal technologies, although I would assume it has a pro-nuclear bias:
https://world-nuclear.org/information-l ... ogies.aspx

Quote:
Carbon capture and storage -- perhaps the most promising clean coal technology -- catches and sequesters carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions from stationary sources like power plants. Since CO2 contributes to global warming, reducing its release into the atmosphere has become a major international concern. In order to discover the most efficient and economical means of carbon capture, researchers have developed several technologies.

8)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 5:55 pm

If you do more reading you'll see that it's not a technology that's been implemented in a meaningful way yet. Don't mistake a best-case scenario for the future with something that's already the norm.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う