Actor Alec Baldwin shoots 2 people, killing one of them.

Page 8 of 18 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 4:17 pm

maycontainthunder wrote:
The more I hear about this case the more incompetent the crew sound.

Live rounds have NO PLACE on a movie set.

One little myth was peddled in the early stages of the reporting in the right wing news was that Baldwin was goofing around recklessly when he discharged prop gun.

It now can be confirmed he was handed the gun when he was demonstrating to the cast what he wanted during a rehearsal.
This was during filming and Baldwin was doing his job.

It is patently clear one of the staff responsible for the ammo/gun/props has failed in maintaining safety but that's not Baldwin's fault anymore than a mother of a baby hiring a plumber who accidentally switches the hot/colt water on bathroom taps resulting in a mother accidentally scalding their baby.

It would be rightfully disgusting for people to blame a mother in that situation. People using this accident to ridicule Baldwin need to have a good long look at themselves in the mirror.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 4:18 pm

I sense that the "assistant director" had a beef with Baldwin.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 6:33 pm

500 rounds of live ammo found at site.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.co ... 98639/amp/

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 6:45 pm

FIRST rule of gun safety:

ALWAYS treat the firearm you're holding as if it's actually loaded!

Yeah, I'm also talking to YOU, Alec! :x

BTW, what were REAL bullets doing on the film set, anyway? Don't people use fake props when filming?

Last edited by UncannyDanny on 27 Oct 2021, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 7:01 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
This greatly upsets me because I really liked him because he's so talented. That said, I heard once upon a time that he was a jerk to Kim Basinger back when they were married.

Having seen some of his social media, it seems like his attitude towards Kim Basinger wasn't out of character for him, but was instead likely to have been an example of the "real" him.

That said, as long as you can seperate the "art" from the "artist", there's no reason why you shouldn't still be able to enjoy his work.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 7:02 pm

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 7:05 pm

cyberdad wrote:
maycontainthunder wrote:

One little myth was peddled in the early stages of the reporting in the right wing news was that Baldwin was goofing around recklessly when he discharged prop gun.

It now can be confirmed he was handed the gun when he was demonstrating to the cast what he wanted during a rehearsal.

It is patently clear one of the staff responsible for the ammo/gun/props has failed in maintaining safety but that's not Baldwin's fault anymore than a mother of a baby hiring a plumber who accidentally switches the hot/colt water on bathroom taps resulting in a mother accidentally scalding their baby.

It would be rightfully disgusting for people to blame a mother in that situation. People using this accident to ridicule Baldwin need to have a good long look at themselves in the mirror.

Chock that one up with the death panels bull$hit, and other crap spewed by the vindictive right.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 7:50 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
maycontainthunder wrote:

Chock that one up with the death panels bull$hit, and other crap spewed by the vindictive right.

Vindictiveness is one thing ( I expect the right to be bitter with Alec Baldwin) but using the death of innocent person as political ammunition aimed at Baldwin is scraping the bottom of the barrel (a place the tight wing are accustomed with). Even his brother Stephen (who is a staunch Trump supporter) has publicly thrown his support for his brother and has emphasised to the MAGA hordes to be respectful to all involved in the accident.
https://news.yahoo.com/alec-baldwin-apo ... 40373.html

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 9:29 pm

The tribalism on display here is pretty illuminating, Alec Baldwin is part of the "correct" tribe and so can't be at fault, and it's "republicans pounce" when they hoist him on his own petard. I don't begrudge liberals their tribalism, everyone does it, but man they're self righteous about it. I'll have to bookmark this thread to drag out next time a conservative is involved in a tragedy and people want to be sh*tty about it, I won't even need to name any names.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 2:20 am

Dox47 wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Which raises another important point: It wasn't cast members who he shot, but was a cinematographer and a directed, both "off-screen" roles, who would have had no reason to be in (and should not have been anywhere near) where the firearm was pointed.

Social media chatter (literally, so don't quote me) is saying that it was a "looking down the barrel" shot, and that's why it was the director and cinematographer who were hit as they were behind the camera when it happened. If that's true, I'm starting to get a clearer picture, as I'm going to guess this involved a revolver, and they would have wanted to show the cylinder rotating into place for that sort of shot, which means something that looks like live ammo would be in the cylinder as that is visible from the front. This really does sound like Brandon Lee all over again, like someone tried to make up home brew dummy rounds instead of using special Hollywood ones that are manufactured as inert, and a live one slipped through. You wouldn't fire a blank directly at the camera, and it wouldn't have looked right during the shot from the front (blanks have crimped fronts and look nothing like live ammo), so I'm going to speculate that this was a fully live round that got in by mistake, something that shouldn't have been anywhere near the set in the first place.

Some are made with styrofoam or styrofoam type material.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 2:32 am

Dox47 wrote:
The tribalism on display here is pretty illuminating, Alec Baldwin is part of the "correct" tribe and so can't be at fault, and it's "republicans pounce" when they hoist him on his own petard. I don't begrudge liberals their tribalism, everyone does it, but man they're self righteous about it. I'll have to bookmark this thread to drag out next time a conservative is involved in a tragedy and people want to be sh*tty about it, I won't even need to name any names.

I have been on this site for over 8 years.
it has *always* had a very left-wing bias.

Some people are simply focusing on politics, here.
They can't help themselves.
Typical. :roll:

But getting back on topic.
I feel deeply sorry for Baldwin.
Politics is irrelevant.
What a horrible thing to have experienced in a lifetime.

And surely the film will be canned if they don't find another actor.
How could Baldwin get back on that set?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 2:36 am

UncannyDanny wrote:

BTW, what were REAL bullets doing on the film set, anyway? Don't people use fake props when filming?

Have you considered the possibility it may have been a case of remote subliminal/hypnotic suggestion?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 2:37 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I sense that the "assistant director" had a beef with Baldwin.

That would very much surprise me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 1:59 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:

Speculation=mine:
He should know that but the man grew up in the suburban NYC region and works in Hollywood not areas where most people own guns and people just know that.

My guess is just like Alec assumed when he was told “cold gun” there were no bullets everybody assumed as a long time Hollywood veteran somebody along the way had told Alec to treat all guns as if they are loaded but nobody had.

At this point I would not make too much out of the fact that police have not ruled out charging Alec with something. Maybe Alec was sleeping with the deceased and she was cheating on him so he staged an accident and the whole distraught thing is an actor acting. I doubt that happened but police have to look at all possibilities especially since live ammunition was on the set something that supposedly is not supposed to happen. I said supposedly because while I keep on reading live ammo is not supposed to be on movie sets the use of the terminology “hot gun” and “cold gun” suggests otherwise.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 2:03 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
At this point I would not make too much out of the fact that police have not ruled out charging Alec with something. Maybe Alec was sleeping with the deceased and she was cheating on him so he staged an accident and the whole distraught thing is an actor acting. I doubt that happened but police have to look at all possibilities especially since live ammunition was on the set something that supposedly is not supposed to happen. I said supposedly because while I keep on reading live ammo is not supposed to be on movie sets the use of the terminology “hot gun” and “cold gun” suggests otherwise.

Hot gun and cold gun don't refer to live ammo, they refer to weather or not the gun contains blanks, live ammo should never even be on the set. If I had to guess, the reason they're keeping charges on the table for Alec Baldwin has less to do with the fact that the gun was in his hand when it was fired, and more to do with his role in the production that apparently involved significant cost cutting measures that may have contributed to the accident.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 3:30 pm

Dox47 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Hot gun and cold gun don't refer to live ammo, they refer to weather or not the gun contains blanks, live ammo should never even be on the set. If I had to guess, the reason they're keeping charges on the table for Alec Baldwin has less to do with the fact that the gun was in his hand when it was fired, and more to do with his role in the production that apparently involved significant cost cutting measures that may have contributed to the accident.

If cost cutting was the problem would that not be a civil issue rather then criminal? It would have to be more than ruthless cost cutting, things like fudgeing invoices, bribes etc to be criminal.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman