Page 10 of 13 [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 12:07 am

These encampments are nothing new. It's a present day Hooverville. Also it's easy to do it in California weather wise. In the Northern Midwest where I live winter is brutal. That bucket of human filth would freeze solid on a typical January day.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 12:10 am

Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
the rich must be less rich so the poor may live. if not, expect more of this $h!+.

If you worked all your life to get where you are and then have it taken away from you, would you be happy? :scratch:

And if you attack the super-rich, they will move their ass assests overseas, assuming America hasn't become a totalitarian nation. 8O

Yes, I know this is a simplistic POV, atm. :wink:

Here's an idea.
Get Google, Twitter, and Facebook to pay their proper taxes. 8)

Trump inherited his money. On the other hand those cafe workers worked hard for their tips and wages.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 5:03 pm

Pepe wrote:

Here's an idea.

One part of the problem is that we have tax credits for R&D, and these businesses have no trouble sorting a lot of their costs into boxes eligible for the credit.

I've heard that most other countries don't have the number of generous tax credits we do. That is one reason why lowering our maximum corporate tax rate to be more competitive internationally wasn't quite as simple as it sounded: we lowered the corporate tax rate but didn't squash the over abundance of tax credits.

Something like an R&D credit sounds good, because it is supposed to be an incentive for innovation and new ideas. The problem it runs into is that young start up companies don't end up benefiting from it for various reasons, while large established companies do.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 7:39 pm

Axeman wrote:
These encampments are nothing new. It's a present day Hooverville. Also it's easy to do it in California weather wise. In the Northern Midwest where I live winter is brutal. That bucket of human filth would freeze solid on a typical January day.

Even if it is fresh from the "faucet? :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 7:43 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Here's an idea.

One part of the problem is that we have tax credits for R&D, and these businesses have no trouble sorting a lot of their costs into boxes eligible for the credit.

I've heard that most other countries don't have the number of generous tax credits we do. That is one reason why lowering our maximum corporate tax rate to be more competitive internationally wasn't quite as simple as it sounded: we lowered the corporate tax rate but didn't squash the over abundance of tax credits.

Something like an R&D credit sounds good, because it is supposed to be an incentive for innovation and new ideas. The problem it runs into is that young start up companies don't end up benefiting from it for various reasons, while large established companies do.

The tax cuts did encourage businesses back to America.
Even an Australian billionaire set up another company there precisely because of the tax cuts.
The Australian Prime Minister was miffed, I believe.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 7:44 pm

Pepe wrote:
Axeman wrote:

There are days here when it would be solid before it hit the ground.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 7:53 pm

Axeman wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Axeman wrote:

There are days here when it would be solid before it hit the ground.

Perhaps he had one of these? :scratch:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 8:43 pm

Pepe wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Here's an idea.

Even an Australian billionaire set up another company there precisely because of the tax cuts.

A great many big businesses and owners stuck those tax breaks into their savings accounts instead of hiring new workers, or expanding. If there had been strings attached to those cuts, where businesses had to demonstrate how they had used that money for the good of the overall economy, or else pay said cuts back in full - and with interest - then maybe they'd be easier for the rest of us to swallow.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 9:09 pm

Pepe wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Here's an idea.

I'm glad it worked as intended at least one time. Overall, we haven't seen much from it. Not what was promised, and not was used in budget projections.

I think we lowered it further and cost our budget more than was needed in order to accomplish the stated goal, but that is not something we can ever prove.

I strongly believe that it was a mistake to lower the corporate tax rate and not even tweak the research credits. They are now a larger giveaway to massive corporations than they were before. A tweak there could have helped the budget here a lot without hurting appeal to companies not previously located here.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 10:47 pm

Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i prefer this bird-

Purdy. :heart:

I had a blue bird box in the yard.I watched the parents build the nest and then feed the babies.Then one bright morning I saw a feral cat rake the last baby out and run off with it.
That was pre-dog.Won’t happen again.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 11:29 pm

For your viewing pleasure, narrated by Steven Hawking.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 11:32 pm

our culture made that.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 11:33 pm

auntblabby wrote:
our culture made that.

God I couldn't stop laughing.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 8:22 am

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 8:40 am

Misslizard wrote:

In Singapore this guy would be tied to a frame and wacked with a cane removing skin and flesh from his bare buttocks. I've seen video of it the flesh just splits open on the third hit while the miscreant screams like the damned. It's beautiful.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 9:14 am

Ok………….not exactly what I’d call beautiful.