Page 7 of 15 [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,787
Location: Poland

29 Nov 2021, 8:00 am

According to its discoverer, Omicron infections tend to be mild, common-cold-like.
https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/sa ... 021-11-28/


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.


Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1931
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,756
Location: wales

29 Nov 2021, 8:15 am

magz wrote:
According to its discoverer, Omicron infections tend to be mild, common-cold-like.
https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/sa ... 021-11-28/


This sounds like great news and similar to the symptoms I have now. I've had a persistent cough that's quickly dying off after what felt like cold three weeks ago.

I hope the virus gets milder and more contagious. If it ends up similar the common cold then I'll consider the pandemic as over.



magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,787
Location: Poland

29 Nov 2021, 8:41 am

Nades wrote:
I hope the virus gets milder and more contagious.
That's the trajectory I ultimately expect - but I have no idea how much time it would take naturally. I would guess decades.
Vaccines speed up the "milder" part of it.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.


Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1931
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,756
Location: wales

29 Nov 2021, 8:56 am

magz wrote:
Nades wrote:
I hope the virus gets milder and more contagious.
That's the trajectory I ultimately expect - but I have no idea how much time it would take naturally. I would guess decades.
Vaccines speed up the "milder" part of it.


If what they say is true and this new strain came from someone with AIDS, then it might be the case that vaccines are actually slowing down the viruses progression into causing milder symptoms.



magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,787
Location: Poland

29 Nov 2021, 9:06 am

Nades wrote:
If what they say is true and this new strain came from someone with AIDS
I'm encountering this for the first time.
So far, I only read speculations that so many mutations likely happened in one person infected for much longer time than normally - for whatever reason.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.


ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,727
Location: New Jersey, USA

29 Nov 2021, 9:15 am

It's like going fishing. I haven't gone fishing in many a year, but that's what this reminds me of. To go freshwater fishing in New Jersey, USA, you need to buy a license. Basically just a piece of paper to say you paid to legally fish. To fish specifically for trout, you need to buy a special sticker and affix it to the fishing license. To go fishing in the Atlantic Ocean (salt water), no license is required.

Same thing with shots. You don't need a "COVID passport" to go into this shop. You need one to get into this restaurant, but you don't need any special booster. To get into this place, however, you need the special OMICRON sticker.

I can see all kinds of confusion: "I had my two shots and booster and have my PAPERS!"..."Yeah, but you don't have the special OMNICRON sticker, so this place is off-limits to you!"

Is anyone else a bit dismayed and realizing they can come up with as many variants as they want?...rendering all former shots and boosters and papers meaningless? This can go on ad nauseum. At what point does FREEDOM trump health, especially since we're not seeing bodies piling up in the street...or seeing less people when we go out. For all the alleged dead, the world still seems VERY crowded. Not seeing any MAJOR population loss, despite the hype.Is this how we want to live for the rest of our lives??



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,951
Location: Long Island, New York

29 Nov 2021, 10:02 am

magz wrote:
According to its discoverer, Omicron infections tend to be mild, common-cold-like.
https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/sa ... 021-11-28/

If this turns out to be a milder strain that would not be surprising. New variants have gotten incorrectly conflated as more severe strains. The COVID variants up until now have not been more severe they have been more transmissible. A main argument for vaccination has been an avoidable new variant would emerge that would evade the vaccine. That is still possible but the opposite is also possible and might be happening with Omicron. This does not negate the pro vaccine argument because more avoidable severe mutations are plausible. Also with more transmissibility comes more severe COVID cases even without the variant being more severe as we have seen.

Might is they key word, the data is very preliminary. If the discover doctor is seeing mostly people under 40 of course their cases will generally be mild this has been true through the whole pandemic.

If Omicron is as mild as suggested and large gatherings continue not to be superspreader events through the holiday season and you do not have any risk factors and especially if you are fully vaccinated it is probably ok to live your pre pandemic life. There are a couple of caveats. If you are at high risk you should probably take more severe migration measures because everybody else is not mask wearing and social distancing anymore. Also the risk of Long COVID is uncertain. Although the preliminary data on vaccinated people is encouraging very disabling Long COVID following mild COVID has not been uncommon. That uncertainty would need to weighed against the near certainty of further economic, societal, and psychological damage of continuing mitigation measures.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 29 Nov 2021, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1931
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,756
Location: wales

29 Nov 2021, 10:53 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
magz wrote:
According to its discoverer, Omicron infections tend to be mild, common-cold-like.
https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/sa ... 021-11-28/

If this turns out to be a milder strain that would not be surprising. New variants have gotten incorrectly conflated as more severe strains. They have not been more severe they have been more transmissible. A main argument for vaccination has been an avoidable new variant would emerge that would evade the vaccine. That is still possible but the opposite is also possible and might be happening with Omicron. This does not negate the pro vaccine argument because more avoidable severe mutations are plausible. Also with more transmissibility comes more severe COVID cases even without the variant being more severe as we have seen.

Might is they key word, the data is very preliminary. If the discover doctor is seeing mostly people under 40 of course their cases will generally be mild this has been true through the whole pandemic.

If Omicron is as mild as suggested and large gatherings continue not to be superspreader events through the holiday season and you do not have any risk factors and especially if you are fully vaccinated it is probably ok to live your pre pandemic life. There are a couple of caveats. If you are at high risk you should probably take more severe migration measures because everybody else is not mask wearing and social distancing anymore. Also the risk of Long COVID is uncertain. Although the preliminary data on vaccinated people is encouraging very disabling Long COVID following mild COVID has not been uncommon. That uncertainty would need to weighed against the near certainty of further economic, societal, and psychological damage of continuing mitigation measures.


High risk people should always be vaccinated however, perhaps using the machine gun approach to vaccination might be preventing milder strains from emerging and competing with more deadly ones. The lack of vaccination in South Africa might have actually resulted in a safer strain to infect the planet. Not a bad thing for sure.

They need to be careful with vaccines in general though. A lot of people who were once pro-vaccine are becoming anti-vaccine, myself included, as the promised "game changing, state of the art" vaccine, that was promised to get us out of this situation has run its course and I for one am certainly not impressed with it. It's still running rampant through well vaccinated nations yet restrictions to try and prevent its spread are still in place.....despite this clearly not being possible.



Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1931
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,756
Location: wales

29 Nov 2021, 11:11 am

magz wrote:
Nades wrote:
If what they say is true and this new strain came from someone with AIDS
I'm encountering this for the first time.
So far, I only read speculations that so many mutations likely happened in one person infected for much longer time than normally - for whatever reason.


Scientists think this individual had HIV/AIDS and was likely unvaccinated.



magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,787
Location: Poland

29 Nov 2021, 11:58 am

Nades wrote:
Scientists think this individual had HIV/AIDS and was likely unvaccinated.

Source?


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 53,133
Location: Stendec

29 Nov 2021, 12:05 pm

It is almost as if certain people are trying to defend the non-existent "right" of the coronavirus to exist...

Image
COVID IS BEING CANCELLED!!

:roll:



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,951
Location: Long Island, New York

29 Nov 2021, 12:36 pm

Nades wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
magz wrote:
According to its discoverer, Omicron infections tend to be mild, common-cold-like.
https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/sa ... 021-11-28/

If this turns out to be a milder strain that would not be surprising. New variants have gotten incorrectly conflated as more severe strains. They have not been more severe they have been more transmissible. A main argument for vaccination has been an avoidable new variant would emerge that would evade the vaccine. That is still possible but the opposite is also possible and might be happening with Omicron. This does not negate the pro vaccine argument because more avoidable severe mutations are plausible. Also with more transmissibility comes more severe COVID cases even without the variant being more severe as we have seen.

Might is they key word, the data is very preliminary. If the discover doctor is seeing mostly people under 40 of course their cases will generally be mild this has been true through the whole pandemic.

If Omicron is as mild as suggested and large gatherings continue not to be superspreader events through the holiday season and you do not have any risk factors and especially if you are fully vaccinated it is probably ok to live your pre pandemic life. There are a couple of caveats. If you are at high risk you should probably take more severe migration measures because everybody else is not mask wearing and social distancing anymore. Also the risk of Long COVID is uncertain. Although the preliminary data on vaccinated people is encouraging very disabling Long COVID following mild COVID has not been uncommon. That uncertainty would need to weighed against the near certainty of further economic, societal, and psychological damage of continuing mitigation measures.


High risk people should always be vaccinated however, perhaps using the machine gun approach to vaccination might be preventing milder strains from emerging and competing with more deadly ones. The lack of vaccination in South Africa might have actually resulted in a safer strain to infect the planet. Not a bad thing for sure.

They need to be careful with vaccines in general though. A lot of people who were once pro-vaccine are becoming anti-vaccine, myself included, as the promised "game changing, state of the art" vaccine, that was promised to get us out of this situation has run its course and I for one am certainly not impressed with it. It's still running rampant through well vaccinated nations yet restrictions to try and prevent its spread are still in place.....despite this clearly not being possible.

People expected and it was sold as the next Polio or measles vaccine. Many many vaccines do not work that way, never have. The flu shot is 40 to 60 percent effective but like the COVID vaccine does significantly reduce the chances of severe illness. It could be argued that unlike with Polio vaccines herd immunity is not a factor with the flu shot because a large percentage of people do not take it. Shingles is not transmissible yet the previous vaccine was 51 percent effective. In this era the way a lot of people think is if it does not work perfectly it must be a hoax. Nobody has figured out a way to counter that way of thinking, most attempts have been counterproductive.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1931
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,756
Location: wales

29 Nov 2021, 12:55 pm

magz wrote:
Nades wrote:
Scientists think this individual had HIV/AIDS and was likely unvaccinated.

Source?


https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-heal ... v-patient/



Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1931
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,756
Location: wales

29 Nov 2021, 1:36 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
People expected and it was sold as the next Polio or measles vaccine. Many many vaccines do not work that way, never have. The flu shot is 40 to 60 percent effective but like the COVID vaccine does significantly reduce the chances of severe illness. It could be argued that unlike with Polio vaccines herd immunity is not a factor with the flu shot because a large percentage of people do not take it. Shingles is not transmissible yet the previous vaccine was 51 percent effective. In this era the way a lot of people think is if it does not work perfectly it must be a hoax. Nobody has figured out a way to counter that way of thinking, most attempts have been counterproductive.


It does help greatly with reducing deaths but this is almost exclusively with vulnerable people which in it's own right is very important. The vaccine works well in that sense and anyone vulnerable should have it.

The other main benefit of vaccines which is disease control is equally as important, if not more important and all Covid vaccines are very poor at controlling the spread. Sadly, all government polices as of recent has been about controlling the spread so for the last year we've been p*****g in the wind and always will be with a vaccine that does little to control spread. This is just one of those viruses that vaccines will always do a very poor job of controlling. (As much as the government said otherwise when the pandemic started)

After an extremely effective vaccine rollout with most people having multiple vaccines within the last year and many now having boosters, 1 in 65 people still being infected is beyond dire for this supposed wonder vaccine we were all promised that would "get us out of the woods" and the one I initially rolled up my arm for in good faith.

Office of national statistics in the UK. Among the best sources for info on the virus or anything for that matter.



Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1931
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,756
Location: wales

29 Nov 2021, 1:43 pm

Fnord wrote:
It is almost as if certain people are trying to defend the non-existent "right" of the coronavirus to exist...
Image
COVID IS BEING CANCELLED!!

:roll:


Viruses like this never have a right to exist. It's just that trying to eliminate it is virtually impossible but governments around the world along with the general public appear to be attempting it. Alchemy and perpetual motion machines seem more feasible than eradicating or even controlling Covid.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 79,525
Location: Queens, NYC

29 Nov 2021, 1:52 pm

I agree that, ultimately, variants will become milder, like most coronaviruses. Hopefully, the Omicron variant will prove to be relatively mild.

Still, the present-day Delta variant causes considerable death and hospitalizations, especially in the unvaccinated. COVID is still acting like a “novel” virus.