Biden Could Deploy 50,000 Troops if Putin Overruns Ukraine

Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 12:08 pm

Daily Beast

Quote:
The White House is reportedly making plans to fight back as Vladimir Putin gathers more and more Russian troops at the border of Ukraine. Up until now, President Joe Biden has sounded cautious when asked about the prospect of a military intervention in the event of a Russian invasion. But, in a report from The New York Times, it’s claimed Biden is now moving toward a more forceful strategy. The Times reports Biden was presented with a plan at Camp David on Saturday to deploy an initial 1,000 to 5,000 troops to Eastern European nations, with the option to “increase that number tenfold” if the situation worsens. However, none of the plans under consideration include sending U.S. troops to Ukraine itself, the report states. Meanwhile, NATO confirmed Monday that it was putting troops on standby and bolstering Eastern Europe with more ships and fighter jets in preparation for a possible invasi White House is reportedly making plans to fight back as Vladimir Putin gathers more and more Russian troops at the border of Ukraine. Up until now, President Joe Biden has sounded cautious when asked about the prospect of a military intervention in the event of a Russian invasion. But, in a report from The New York Times, it’s claimed Biden is now moving toward a more forceful strategy. The Times reports Biden was presented with a plan at Camp David on Saturday to deploy an initial 1,000 to 5,000 troops to Eastern European nations, with the option to “increase that number tenfold” if the situation worsens. However, none of the plans under consideration include sending U.S. troops to Ukraine itself, the report states. Meanwhile, NATO confirmed Monday that it was putting troops on standby and bolstering Eastern Europe with more ships and fighter jets in preparation for a possible invasion.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 12:11 pm

Geezers really want their cold war to go hot and they'll doom the rest of us to ensure it.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 8:03 pm

Maybe this will scare Putin into thinking twice about Ukraine, as there's a new sheriff in charge in DC.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 9:03 pm

The same guy was the deputy the last time Russia went in and "took" Crimea and bits of the East.

Regardless, Russia will have zero fear of a response from the US when it comes to Ukraine whomever is in, as they won't risk the chance of nuclear [and biological] warfare over such, which the high intensity conventional fight will lead to as attrition sets in and the quick spiral to annihilation occurs. Russia's only realistic fear will be how much resistance Ukraine itself will offer, even if Russia "just" wants the Eastern portions of it as a buffer. Ukraine is at the mercy of Russia in the end. Those forces will be there in case Russia goes beyond the borders of Ukraine in reality. Which also won't happen. China will have those envious eyes too, which complicates everything, as the lack of response against Ukraine will show them no one will risk war over Taiwan either (China still has enough strategic nuclear warheads for countervalue, i.e., cities).

A few bad decisions away from strategic nuclear release is a hell of a thing.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 9:13 pm

I doubt Russia will use nuclear as it is too primitive.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 24 Jan 2022, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 9:16 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Nuclear is back in the dark ages compared to modern weapons we have today.

Such as?

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 9:20 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Such as?

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 9:52 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Such as?

I cant say too much but lets say weapons that can use nature to its advantage and I mean in a big way. America is quite vunerable.

The problem with nuclear is that from both sides, thousands of missiles would need to be fired and the chances that any would reach their destinations with todays defense systems are actually slim.

Don't forget that Russia is quite advanced. America has not been left behind but is a bit too confident in what it has.

Remember the events that took place a few years ago when a Russian jet flew over some of the American naval fleet and blanked out all its systems so they were powerless to do anything and were just drifting at sea until their systems came back on again when the jet went out of range? That is just one defense system we know about that Russia has. They only used it to demonstrate that they had it, and that is just one example.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 10:31 pm

The issue is, what countries have in their inventory, the high value stuff, can't be readily replaced. Men/women aren't as important nowadays. So, when one side gains dominance as the high intensity fighting goes on, you'll see authority given to battlefield commanders for tactical nuclear release to prevent the OPFOR from overrunning them or regaining/retaking/gaining territory, which is inevitable in a modern conflict between major powers. That's when the spiral happens. Russia launches Iskander-Ms at battlefield/regional military targets. NATO drops tactical B61s in retaliation (W76-2s might be used first by the US now that I think about it). It goes from there until use it or lose it happens and the nearest strategic target close to your home gets hit with multiple strategic weapons (if you live in some Western countries, the US or Russia). Hence, no one will decide to play the game and lose it all, and things are sacrificed, which would be Ukraine if Russia decides to go in.

If Ukraine kept their nukes, Russia likely wouldn't try the forceful approach, rather "diplomatic". Which will be a lesson there.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 12:45 am

As I understand it, the Ukrainian goal is to kill as many Russian troops as quickly as possible, so as to make the Russian public think twice about this invasion.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 12:58 am

why do i get the feeling that just as soon as russia does its invasion, that china will take that as a cue to smash taiwan?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 1:00 am

auntblabby wrote:
why do i get the feeling that just as soon as russia does its invasion, that china will take that as a cue to smash taiwan?

That's why Biden has to make it clear he's not taking any crap when it comes to America's friends.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 1:02 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

That's why Biden has to make it clear he's not taking any crap when it comes to America's friends.

i hope the ending to this is no worse than in '62.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 1:08 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i hope the ending to this is no worse than in '62.

Indeed.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 5:46 am

What I do not get is why America is involved. I thought it was Nato. Trump took the USA out of Nato. Why is Biden sending troops in?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 6:45 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
What I do not get is why America is involved. I thought it was Nato. Trump took the USA out of Nato. Why is Biden sending troops in?

Trump badmouthed NATO, he did not take the U.S. out of it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman