Neil Young's music removed from Spotify

Page 2 of 13 [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 10:55 am

Neil demanded his music be removed and spotify complied.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 10:57 am

I hear their stock took a significant plunge after dropping Young.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 11:00 am

In the grand scheme of things, Neil Young really isn't all that important----though I do agree with the reasons why he did what he did.

If this were 1972, it would be quite a different story.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 11:05 am

txfz1 wrote:

"I am doing this because Spotify is spreading fake information about vaccines -- potentially causing death to those who believe the disinformation being spread by them.  They can have Rogan or Young.  Not both." -- Young wrote in an open letter addressed to Young's manager, Frank Gironda, as well as Tom Corson, the co-chairman and chief operating officer of Warner Records.

Source:
 This Yahoo! news article 

Spotify chose a conspiracy theorist over a talented musician.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 11:08 am

Wait a month from now----when all this blows over.

I would wager that you will be able to hear "Heart of Gold" on Spotify.....

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 11:11 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Wait a month from now----when all this blows over.

I would wager that you will be able to hear "Heart of Gold" on Spotify.....

In the meantime...

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 11:13 am

Fnord wrote:

I think it's better to say that they chose money. The exclusivity deal they have with Rogan is reportedly worth in the region of $100,000,000.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 11:15 am

Fnord wrote:
txfz1 wrote:

"I am doing this because Spotify is spreading fake information about vaccines -- potentially causing death to those who believe the disinformation being spread by them.  They can have Rogan or Young.  Not both." -- Young wrote in an open letter addressed to Young's manager, Frank Gironda, as well as Tom Corson, the co-chairman and chief operating officer of Warner Records.

Source:
 This Yahoo! news article 

Or, Spotify chose to maintain their cash cow and give an outdated talent some publicity, while CTs go wild.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 11:25 am

<* heavy sigh *> . . . yeah . . . probably right . . . "Follow the Money".

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 11:54 am

Of course it's about profits, just like the lies and disinformation coming from MSM is about profits.

Perhaps, also, the fact that Spotify's CEO, Daniel Ek, is Swedish plays a small part of the decision. Freedom of speech is fiercely defended, unlike what is happening in the U.S.

The absurdity of deplatforming people over perceived misinformation is mind-boggling -- debunking it is how it should be handled. Censorship is totally repugnant to me. Keeping an open conversation surrounding Covid and vaccines is necessary. People championing Rogan's removal just don't understand what is going on.

Let's not forget that CNN lied about Ivermectin, and when Rogan exposed the lies, they doubled down on their BS.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2022, 5:42 pm

I don't believe in "misinformation." It's a term that's only been in the popular lexicon for about a year or two, and its timing is impeccable for an increase in Internet censorship. If someone's lying, call them out on it, don't pussyfoot around it and then take your toys somewhere else.

I don't think Rogan should be removed from Spotify, even if what he says doesn't match the CDC or CNN or Cartoonito or God knows who, because of the very important universal concepts of media literacy and having an open dialogue. Furthermore, forcing people to co-exist with things they don't like would be good for them all around. (Heck, Spotify divides music and podcasts pretty distinctly, so this isn't even a "hey you got your ivermectin in my boomer music" situation.) The Internet is not your safe space. Let me repeat that a little louder: The Internet is not your safe space. The freaks were here first and we're not giving it up that easy.

It was also trending today for a bit on Twitter that people were dumping Spotify and moving to Apple Music or Tidal. Do they think those services have nothing that they or Neil Young would morally object to?

The next coming group of preteens/teenagers into the Internet are just as ignorant as boomers as when it comes to this stuff. I think technology should be harder but also fun to learn, and I think the Internet should always have challenging viewpoints and content that you can agree or disagree with, research more into and reflect on. If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Last edited by Nekomonster on 27 Jan 2022, 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 5:44 pm

So if I am understanding this correctly, Spotify allowed covid misinformation on their platform and Neil decides he wants to boycott them by having his songs removed from it. Maybe if more viewers and more artists stopped using them, they might reconsider.

On reddit, many people started to private their subs as in protest to stop covid misinformation and it worked. I remember the place was dead for me for like a few days because of too many subs I read went private.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 6:29 pm

I like them both.

I hate that Covid is causing so much division.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 6:39 pm

Nekomonster wrote:
I don't believe in "misinformation." It's a term that's only been in the popular lexicon for about a year or two, and its timing is impeccable for an increase in Internet censorship. If someone's lying, call them out on it, don't pussyfoot around it and then take your toys somewhere else.

I don't think Rogan should be removed from Spotify, even if what he says doesn't match the CDC or CNN or Cartoonito or God knows who, because of the very important universal concepts of media literacy and having an open dialogue. Furthermore, forcing people to co-exist with things they don't like would be good for them all around. (Heck, Spotify divides music and podcasts pretty distinctly, so this isn't even a "hey you got your ivermectin in my boomer music" situation.) The Internet is not your safe space. Let me repeat that a little louder: The Internet is not your safe space. The freaks were here first and we're not giving it up that easy.

It was also trending today for a bit on Twitter that people were dumping Spotify and moving to Apple Music or Tidal. Do they think those services have nothing that they or Neil Young would morally object to?

The next coming group of preteens/teenagers into the Internet are just as ignorant as boomers as when it comes to this stuff. I think technology should be harder but also fun to learn, and I think the Internet should always have challenging viewpoints and content that you can agree or disagree with, research more into and reflect on. If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.

+1

Well said.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 12:21 pm

So people are now following Neil's tracks and Spotify decided to control their audience by removing the cancel button so now the only way is for people to remove their credit card information. Good thing I don't have a subscription with them. Makes me feel less respect for Spotify because I don't like the idea that they are trying to control people by trying to force them to stay with them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 12:27 pm

I use Pandora.
Young had a every right to remove himself from Spotify if he felt they were morally wrong, Spotify has ever right to keep Rogan on since he makes them $$$ and it’s all about the profits with them.No one is forcing anyone to listen to Rogan.
Young fans can find his music elsewhere and Rogan fans can keep listening.
I find Rogan annoying.Some of Young’s music is good, but I’ve already heard it a million times.Nothing of his is on my playlist.I’d rather hear something new.