Biden Could Deploy 50,000 Troops if Putin Overruns Ukraine

Page 2 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 7:03 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
What I do not get is why America is involved. I thought it was Nato. Trump took the USA out of Nato. Why is Biden sending troops in?

Trump badmouthed NATO, he did not take the U.S. out of it.

Ah. Seems like our UK news does not always tell us the truth.

Then you have a problem on your hands as Biden is like a terrier who will not back down, and as I see it, it is understanable why Russia is concerned as these new illegal bases point their way. The Ukranian people want Natos bases as they want the ability to defend themselves. The Russians say "But we had an agreement that the Ukrane would not be used agressively towards us when we gave it up...."
USA ceases the oppertunity to set up bases so close to Russia...
Difficult situation there.
Why don't the EU which is one of the worlds most powerful forces, the USA, China, Russia and anyone else just put down their weapons and dissasemble all their bases so we can have some world wide peace?
Or is that what the future beast wants?

FrankStein
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jan 2022, 7:56 am

The statements here reveal an absurd lack of information and also an absurd lack of thought. Any coming war is not going to be "your dad's war." It's not even going to be "your older brother's war!" Can anyone remember here this:
"The DarkSide hacking group, another ransomware gang suspected of being based in Russia, was linked to the attack on Colonial Pipeline. The attack, and an ensuing panic among consumers, led to gas shortages in several U.S. states amid a temporary shutdown of the pipeline."
This has now the reality that you have to understand. Listen! Ransomeware attacks have been going on for years. Colonial Pipeline got a notice that if they didn't deliver 20 million the same day they would shut them down. Management fumbled and debated. The hackers shut down the system the next day, and millions of citizens were deprived of their service. The company then sent the 20 million immediately. This is not a single event. Major service suppliers around the US have been attacked and send the vast amounts the same day to prevent another "Colonial."
This has been going on for a few years now and is not reported fully in the press. What to understand from this? (1) Russian hackers have robbed an unimaginable amount from the American public. (2) Most importantly, there is obviously no defense from these attacks. (3) Anyone can obviously now assume that Russia (China too?) can attack any part of the infrastructure of the United States. There has been reports that they have even been inside the Pentagon. Shut down water? Sure. Shut down electricity. Of course. Everyone in the US should have a "bicycle pedal" electric generator for your phone, etc. and hope the person you want to call has one too. And fill up that tub in the bathroom so you will have water to drink at least for a few weeks. No, there will be no gas for your car. Plant a vegetable garden. You might get hungry.
This will be the new world war, kids. A-Bombs are as antique as bows and arrows.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 6:27 pm

god i was born 20 years too late.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 9:43 pm

I wouldn't worry about hacking, as the infrastructure will often still exist along with the people to manually run and repair damage done. It'll be more of a nuisance and part of a combined disruption campaign. If it becomes too disruptive, you'd see things going back to manual control as the norm. Functionally little bother compared to NBC warfare, as there will be little infrastructure left afterwards to supply the survivors.

I wouldn't worry about NBC warfare kicking off either, as no one really wins and everyone knows it. The war games always end up with a similar beginning and end. This leads to sacrifices being made however.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 10:32 pm

Here's a little something about domestic support for Putin, right here in America:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/poll-as-ukra ... 37439.html

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 1:55 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Here's a little something about domestic support for Putin, right here in America:

it makes them even more disgusting in my view, that they'd thoughtlessly support tyrants who bestride their own people. that piece of work carlson has got some serious ASPD going on in his narrow little noggin, to cold-bloodedly dismiss ukraine and the ukrainians, in favor of russia, my god that is bad. in the tart words of former CIA spook john cipher, "That’s incredibly, incredibly myopic, political, silly kind of thinking” on the part of the vast majority of GOPers.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 2:07 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Nuclear is back in the dark ages compared to modern weapons we have today.

Such as?

I cant say too much but lets say weapons that can use nature to its advantage and I mean in a big way. America is quite vunerable.

The problem with nuclear is that from both sides, thousands of missiles would need to be fired and the chances that any would reach their destinations with todays defense systems are actually slim.

Don't forget that Russia is quite advanced. America has not been left behind but is a bit too confident in what it has.

Remember the events that took place a few years ago when a Russian jet flew over some of the American naval fleet and blanked out all its systems so they were powerless to do anything and were just drifting at sea until their systems came back on again when the jet went out of range? That is just one defense system we know about that Russia has. They only used it to demonstrate that they had it, and that is just one example.

I was thinking GM viruses and bacteria that target people, cattle and crops.

I think less fireworks and immediate carnage and more of a cancer that slowly infects an entire enemy nation/s is how it's going to be done from now on.

Imagine foot and mouth, potato blight or GM flu and so forth.

It wouldn't surprise me if China and Russia have already tested the waters with such weapons.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 2:21 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

it makes them even more disgusting in my view, that they'd thoughtlessly support tyrants who bestride their own people. that piece of work carlson has got some serious ASPD going on in his narrow little noggin, to cold-bloodedly dismiss ukraine and the ukrainians, in favor of russia, my god that is bad. in the tart words of former CIA spook john cipher, "That’s incredibly, incredibly myopic, political, silly kind of thinking” on the part of the vast majority of GOPers.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 3:15 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
What I do not get is why America is involved. I thought it was Nato. Trump took the USA out of Nato. Why is Biden sending troops in?

America has to get involved in everything. And the UK seems to copy everything America does. So if America does do the stupid thing and get involved then we're all doomed. The government of America and the UK care more about defending Ukraine than they do about the lives of all the citizens of America and the UK.

Just let Russia do their thing. The fewer countries that get involved, the less likely WW3 is going to break out.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 4:38 am

Joe90 wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

America has to get involved in everything. And the UK seems to copy everything America does. So if America does do the stupid thing and get involved then we're all doomed. The government of America and the UK care more about defending Ukraine than they do about the lives of all the citizens of America and the UK.

Just let Russia do their thing. The fewer countries that get involved, the less likely WW3 is going to break out.

That kind of inaction will very probably give a green light to every other militarily aggressive, totalitarian country to make a move on their neighbors.
The thing is, Putin is smart enough to know when to walk lightly. Biden's just letting him know this is such a time.

FrankStein
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jan 2022, 4:32 am

The United States is not only still in NATO, it is the major supplier of military force and the leader. It is central to US strategic interests around the world. --- And always has been, despite Trump stupid talking, which was ignored by everyone except a few here.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 5:13 am

FrankStein wrote:
The United States is not only still in NATO, it is the major supplier of military force and the leader. It is central to US strategic interests around the world. --- And always has been, despite Trump stupid talking, which was ignored by everyone except a few here.

Kind of hard to ignore your President when he voiced such an inane intention, obviously to placate an enemy.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Jan 2022, 5:29 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

That kind of inaction will very probably give a green light to every other militarily aggressive, totalitarian country to make a move on their neighbors.
The thing is, Putin is smart enough to know when to walk lightly. Biden's just letting him know this is such a time.
"Let the bully beat someone else, glad it's not me" strategy does not work well in the long run.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 5:59 am

magz wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

"Let the bully beat someone else, glad it's not me" strategy does not work well in the long run.

Indeed.

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 11:35 am

In the (hopefully) unlikely possibility of this Ukraine situation escalating into a global thermonuclear war, I console myself with the knowledge that we live in a state (Nevada) in which over 1,000 nuclear explosions occurred over the course of four decades.

If it comes to a Nuke exchange, we are ready!

And we own maybe a dozen or more Geiger counters, though all are antiques, and none of them are ready for service...

At least some of the hot springs in my town have been shown to contain high levels of Thorium, too, so I assume we are already fully inoculated against any further doses of radiation.
Is that how it works?

I downloaded (Torrented) lots of nuclear war movies recently, so maybe we'll get to watch them all in our Bunker, while we wait for the fallout to blow away from here?
:lol:

Darron

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 11:44 am

Probably time for compromise. NATO knew full well for a long, long time it would irritate Russia if they shoved bases and troops so close to them.