10 killed in Buffalo in act of white supremacist terrorism

Page 6 of 11 [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 10:43 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
And white people feel unsafe when they enter "black spaces".

What's the solution to that?

What's a black space?

What's a "white space"?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 11:06 pm

A white neighborhood which actively attempts to keep “minorities” out.

NYC doesn’t have many of those sorts of neighborhoods any longer.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 11:22 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
In my opinion this guy was the same kind of lunatic as other shooters. They all have some motive for doing it, but it's lunacy that's driving them. One thing I've taken note of is that a lot of them are young. Either in their teens or early 20's. The one exception that comes to mind is the Las Vegas mass shooting where the perpetrator was in his 60's.

Maybe. But the greatest psychological defect the kid in Buffalo has is his inconceivable degree of hatred, and his complete lack of empathy.

Needless to say that applies to all mass murderers. Obviously Adam Lanza displayed an inconceivable degree of hatred, and a complete lack of empathy, when he gunned down small children at Sandy Hook Elementary. But he didn't represent people on the spectrum, even though some used that angle.

I don't think anyone's blaming all white people for what happened in Buffalo. But without a doubt, anyone who advocates for such an ugly and evil idea like "replacement theory" for now on deserves scrutiny.

Obviously mentally ill kids who tell their teacher their ambition is murder suicide deserve scrutiny.
And obviously any kind of radicalism whether it's white or black or right or left deserves scrutany.

But here's a thing with replacement. Hasn't it been a goal for a long time for white dominance in America to fade out, and for there to be an even playing field? How's that supposed to happen other than at least 50% of positions that have been mostly held whites being replaced with non-whites? I've worked in the same industry since 1988. And in looking back retrospect, most of my coworkers were white. Now more than half are non-white. That's simply the way it is. I've always known as an adult that whites were going to become more and more of a minority. I remember back in the early 90's there was a sci fi show called "Time Trax" where in the future whites were the minority in business and government and called "blancos" (Spanish for "whites").

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 11:42 pm

Tucker Carlson under the microscope. He's trying to wriggle out of his despicable use of replacement theory.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 11:56 pm

demeus wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
And white people feel unsafe when they enter "black spaces".

What's the solution to that?

What's a black space?

I don't know what city you live in but growing up in Buffalo, I understand that very well. Buffalo NY is one of the most segregated cities in the United States and African Americans mostly live in the east side of the city and that would be consider a black space. The white spaces in the city would be the north side and the south side (although that is changing as more a more whites moves to the suburbs and exburbs). Redlining and scare sales were big in Buffalo in the 1950s and 60s and the effects are being felt still today.

Here that TOPS store is located, it serves zip codes with very high rates of poverty and crime. That is why I think when the shooter was casing the store, he tried to act like a panhandler because a middle class suburban white boy would look very out of place in that neighborhood. The closing of that store has hurt the community in many ways because the nearest grocery stores are miles away (which is why NYS is subsidizing the bus fares for some routes and TOPS is offering shuttle services to other stores).

I went to high school in that neighborhood but only because in the 80s and 90s, the Buffalo School District was under a federal desegregation order and the high school I went to was a magnet school designed to draw from all over the city to encourage white kids to go to schools in African American neighborhoods.

I've lived in cities with that kind of segregation too. Self imposed segregation. The one I lived in the most had "the west side" and white people weren't welcome there for the most part.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 12:18 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
In my opinion this guy was the same kind of lunatic as other shooters. They all have some motive for doing it, but it's lunacy that's driving them. One thing I've taken note of is that a lot of them are young. Either in their teens or early 20's. The one exception that comes to mind is the Las Vegas mass shooting where the perpetrator was in his 60's.

Maybe. But the greatest psychological defect the kid in Buffalo has is his inconceivable degree of hatred, and his complete lack of empathy.

Needless to say that applies to all mass murderers. Obviously Adam Lanza displayed an inconceivable degree of hatred, and a complete lack of empathy, when he gunned down small children at Sandy Hook Elementary. But he didn't represent people on the spectrum, even though some used that angle.

I don't think anyone's blaming all white people for what happened in Buffalo. But without a doubt, anyone who advocates for such an ugly and evil idea like "replacement theory" for now on deserves scrutiny.

Obviously mentally ill kids who tell their teacher their ambition is murder suicide deserve scrutiny.
And obviously any kind of radicalism whether it's white or black or right or left deserves scrutany.

But here's a thing with replacement. Hasn't it been a goal for a long time for white dominance in America to fade out, and for there to be an even playing field? How's that supposed to happen other than at least 50% of positions that have been mostly held whites being replaced with non-whites? I've worked in the same industry since 1988. And in looking back retrospect, most of my coworkers were white. Now more than half are non-white. That's simply the way it is. I've always known as an adult that whites were going to become more and more of a minority. I remember back in the early 90's there was a sci fi show called "Time Trax" where in the future whites were the minority in business and government and called "blancos" (Spanish for "whites").

It's an intentional goal for whites to lose prominence? Since when? Just because minorities are gaining greater social, economic, and political equality doesn't mean that whites have been slated to be the losers. It's gadflies like Tucker Carlson who bring out the worst in people by making them think equality and opportunity for minorities will have a negative affect on whites.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 1:45 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I've lived in cities with that kind of segregation too. Self imposed segregation. The one I lived in the most had "the west side" and white people weren't welcome there for the most part.

And then there's the truth
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180963494/

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 May 2022, 2:02 am

I read it, and from my indigenous European point of view, it just doesn't make sense.
Can't people just blend into one ethnicity, so skin color doesn't matter?
Like, no one here pays attention on how many blond people are hired vs how many black haired, brown haired and redheads.
And no one pays attention weather your ancestors were the nobility or the peasantry. Most likely a mix. And no one cares that some generations above you had someone of different nationality, unless you hone it yourself.
What one cares about, we're trying to heal past traumas and learn from our past mistakes.

I'm sure our turbulent history contributed to this attitude a lot, for it's not like that in UK... still, I'm wondering if that state is achieveable in more peaceful ways. I think it would be really desired. To create American ethnicity - diverse but without sharp divisions.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 2:16 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
It's an intentional goal for whites to lose prominence? Since when? Just because minorities are gaining greater social, economic, and political equality doesn't mean that whites have been slated to be the losers. It's gadflies like Tucker Carlson who bring out the worst in people by making them think equality and opportunity for minorities will have a negative affect on whites.

How did you get that out of my talking about an even playing field? And are you saying there isn't a desire to see white dominance to fade out in favor of diversity? Like I said regarding the industry I work in. It used to be mostly white. Now it's diverse. In other words there is no dominance. It's white, black, hispanic, asian. Some of the blacks, hispanics and asians are immigrants. All we care about, especially with the labor shortage, is having enough people to fill all the positions. What color they are or where they're from is irrelevant.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 2:20 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

I was relating my personal knowledge of a particular city that I've lived in off and on going back 40+ years. I made a mistake in making it sound like I was including other cities I lived in. I don't know the history of those cities as much.

The township I grew up in was mostly white. When I went back there for a visit about 20 years later, that demographic had completely changed. As far as I could tell I was the only white person walking around the retail section. I have no idea whether or not the government engineered that.

Another city I lived in in the 90s which was mostly white, is now mostly East Indian and Asian. Again I don't know if the government was involved in that. Personally I think it's because there's a lot of tech industry there.

BTW those cities are all in "blue states".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 3:59 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

I was relating my personal knowledge of a particular city that I've lived in off and on going back 40+ years. I made a mistake in making it sound like I was including other cities I lived in. I don't know the history of those cities as much.

The township I grew up in was mostly white. When I went back there for a visit about 20 years later, that demographic had completely changed. As far as I could tell I was the only white person walking around the retail section. I have no idea whether or not the government engineered that.

Another city I lived in in the 90s which was mostly white, is now mostly East Indian and Asian. Again I don't know if the government was involved in that. Personally I think it's because there's a lot of tech industry there.

The bottom line is most "oppressed" minorities don't really want to live in ethnic ghettos, But for some minorities (particularly of the african persuasion) the moment they set foot in an all-white neighborhood they aren't exactly made to feel welcome. Even if they are a celebrity
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/le ... ti-n766651

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 4:06 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

The bottom line is most "oppressed" minorities don't really want to live in ethnic ghettos, But for some minorities (particularly of the african persuasion) the moment they set foot in an all-white neighborhood they aren't exactly made to feel welcome. Even if they are a celebrity
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/le ... ti-n766651

So what's your conclusion? You’ve presented a problem, is there anywhere you want to take it beyond just pointing it out?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 4:15 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
So what's your conclusion? You’ve presented a problem, is there anywhere you want to take it beyond just pointing it out?

I said elsewhere the problem will eventually sort itself out, but it might take several centuries to convert the current 75 million Americans who like the idea of going back in time to make America great again.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 4:25 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

I said elsewhere the problem will eventually sort itself out, but it might take several centuries to convert the current 75 million Americans who like the idea of going back in time to make America great again.

What's the problem with restoring America? Are the rust belts, decaying cities, tons of crime and millions of homeless things that should keep evolving?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 5:01 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

How did you get that out of my talking about an even playing field? And are you saying there isn't a desire to see white dominance to fade out in favor of diversity? Like I said regarding the industry I work in. It used to be mostly white. Now it's diverse. In other words there is no dominance. It's white, black, hispanic, asian. Some of the blacks, hispanics and asians are immigrants. All we care about, especially with the labor shortage, is having enough people to fill all the positions. What color they are or where they're from is irrelevant.

Well... I had initially taken your post to mean that achieving an even playing field and diversity was somehow negative for whites. If that was not your intent, I apologize.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 5:14 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Well... I had initially taken your post to mean that achieving an even playing field and diversity was somehow negative for whites. If that was not your intent, I apologize.

It wasn't. I suppose it's viewed as a negative for those who don't want it happening. But oh well it's happening nonetheless. I think what many are really the most resistant to is change.