Page 12 of 23 [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 23  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:43 am

Some of the high schools here have 2,000 students entering at the same time.

One door isn't practical.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:21 am

It would be interesting to compare the number of houses with guns in relataion to the number of mass shootings...

In 1968, 50% of households had a gun, compared to 42% last year[1], so in theory if the availability of guns was the cause, we should be seeing less mass shootings now than occurred in 1968.

Does anyone have (or know where to find) the comparable number of mass (and\or school) shootings by year to compare with these numbers in order to see if there could be a correlation between these items?

[1] Source: https://news.gallup.com/poll/1645/guns.aspx

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:25 am

There were relatively few mass shootings during the 60's to 80's decades. Later on in the 80's, mass shootings started to rise. After Columbine, it started to exponentially rise.

Obviously, guns were at least as available during the "lean years" as they are now.

It's not just guns, obviously-----but all the other factors, plus the availability of guns and ammunition, has led us to our situation today.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:42 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I'm waiting for the lunatic right to claim this was a "false flag" government operation.

You rang? 8)

But I don't see this as a republican or democrat thing.
I see it more in terms of it being a "Deep State" thang. 8)

And the "Deep State" is a figment of the American right's fevered imagination.

Then it may be the "Deep Dark State". 8O

But seriously, having a power group, independent of governments, is a logical imperative.
People simply need to understand pseudoscience psychology in depth.

The Deep State was the invention Trump and his cult, giving a sinister name to government bureaucrats who did their job by opposing his illegal and nonsensical machinations.

I will tell you where the deep state is located, way up Tucker Carlsons anus.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 10:03 am

Still waiting for a viable solution when...

1. Tucker Carlson won't oblige his haters and die.
2. Guns will never be surrendered.
3. Even if they were surrendered by law abiding citizens who have decided that guns are the problem, the unregistered
guns remain in the hands of citizens who don't believe guns are the problem.
4. The NRA will never dismantle.
5. And kooks are still out there.

I am keeping up with the discussion and this is in no way meant towards the members who are simply trying to come up with solutions for a more hasty exit from a school.

This is directed towards the usual members who A. don't live in the US, B. Hate the Right, C. offer up only outrageous black and white solutions to a situation where 1/2 of the US population's non-compliance is supported by the constitution. We get it, we understand that you hate MAGA/Trump, Tucker Carlson, the NRA, guns. The fact remains that they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. So, since we must work with what we have to hand, what is a viable solution? I don't have one, I wish that the big pufferfish on this site would admit that they don't have one either and stop postulating with these futile scenarios.

I think an armed guard should be posted at every entrance. There's my contribution.

* as an aside, there are plenty of veterans and pissed off citizens that would gladly help with this so that school districts would not be overburdened with budgeting for the expense. I know they are strapped for funding already.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

26 May 2022, 11:40 am

Persephone29 wrote:
(...) a situation where 1/2 of the US population's non-compliance is supported by the constitution.
But abortion rights were constitutional rights too - until suddenly (if Roe v Wade is struck down, as seems likely) they aren't.
There's a clue in the name: "The Second Amendment". If that's a second tweak, why can't there be another which addresses this historical anomaly? :scratch:

Quote:
So, since we must work with what we have to hand, what is a viable solution? I don't have one
I don't have one either, but I think posting armed guards at every entrance would be a disaster for a school's liability insurance.

There's another aspect: why should schoolkids, toddlers, have to be taught how to hide from a crazy person with a gun? Or file past a burly armed officer?
When did any of this become acceptable?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 11:50 am

Cornflake wrote:
. . . why should schoolkids, toddlers, have to be taught how to hide from a crazy person with a gun? Or file past a burly armed officer?  When did any of this become acceptable?
When anyone was allowed easy access to as many military-grade assault weapons as they could afford.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 12:26 pm

Perhaps it is a bit of a tangent to the topic.

My attitude about the general public owning guns is affected by having family members successfully employ guns to prevent themselves from becoming crime victims.

Mom & Dad - Home invasion at their house in the burbs
Aunt Susan - Home invasion at her farmhouse
Aunt Susan - ANOTHER home invasion at her farmhouse
Grandfather W - carjacking in Kansas City, Missouri
Aunt C & Uncle M - burglary at their farmhouse AND I was visiting them and staying overnight that night.

Interesting thing is that no shots were fired - merely showing up with the gun and the willingness to use it put a sudden screeching stop to the crime.

:arrow: And because of my own experience, stories like the following deeply resonate with me,

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/04/us/flori ... index.html
"
A Florida man says his pregnant wife saved his life in home invasion - with an AR-15
By Theresa Waldrop, CNN
Updated 6:42 AM EST, Tue November 5, 2019
CNN —

A Florida man said two armed men invaded his home and were beating him when his wife, eight months pregnant, saved the day by shooting one of the intruders with a semiautomatic rifle, CNN affiliate Bay News 9 reported.

Investigators found the suspect “dead at the scene,” the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office said in a release Wednesday.

“Them guys came in with two normal pistols and my AR stopped it,” Jeremy King told Bay News 9. “(My wife) evened the playing field and kept them from killing me.”

The couple told investigators she had fired one shot, the sheriff’s office said.

King said the men were hooded and masked when they broke into his Lithia house, outside Tampa. The men pulled a pistol on him, grabbed his 11-year-old daughter and demanded “everything you got,” Bay News 9 reported.

When one of the men started pistol-whipping him and the other was kicking him, his wife looked out of a back bedroom to see what was happening.

One of the men shot at her, sending her back into the bedroom to get the rifle.
"

:arrow: And that bit about the woman using an AR-15 connects with Aunt Susan, a 5ft 3in woman; the specific AR she had was chosen because of its ease in being wielded by a small woman.
(who also happened to be a Nurse who had no problem with potentially having to kill to protect herself and her daughter).

:arrow: Note different outcome in this news item:

Pregnant woman, boyfriend killed in botched home invasion on Staten Island
By Joe Marino,
Larry Celona and
Kenneth Garger
May 11, 2020 8:33pm Updated

"A pregnant woman and her boyfriend were fatally shot inside their Staten Island home Monday by a convicted killer during a botched home robbery, ­sources said.

A suspect, Philip Moreno, 45, allegedly stormed into the home in Arlington at about 5 p.m. and gunned down both victims in the living room, according to law enforcement sources.

Ana Desousa, 33, who was pregnant, and her partner, Alafia Rodriguez, 46, were discovered dead on the floor by police.

Cops quickly found Moreno nearby, allegedly carrying a gun and zip ties he apparently intended to use on the couple, the sources said.

A third victim, an unidentified 43-year-old woman, was also found in the living room with a gunshot wound to the back, cops said.

She was taken to Richmond University Medical Center, where she was in critical condition Monday night.

Authorities found an unharmed 2-year-old girl, believed to be the slain couple’s daughter, inside the home. The toddler was taken to the same hospital to be evaluated.
"
https://nypost.com/2020/05/11/3-people- ... land-home/

:arrow: From all that, which includes my personal experience, preventing members of the public from having guns with which to defend themselves legislates them to death at the hands of criminals who do have guns.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 12:36 pm

Yahoo News
Police narrative on Texas school shooting in question as new details emerge
Christopher Wilson·Senior Writer
Thu, May 26, 2022, 8:21 AM·5 min read

https://news.yahoo.com/police-narrative ... 29728.html
"
The official account of what happened during a shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, is under scrutiny following the reporting of new details.

At a press briefing Wednesday afternoon, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott praised police for their response to the massacre Tuesday that killed 19 kids and two teachers. A Border Patrol officer fatally shot the gunman, whom authorities identified as 18-year-old Salvador Ramos.

“The reality is, as horrible as what happened, it could have been worse," Abbott said. "The reason it was not worse is because law enforcement officials did what they do. They showed amazing courage by running towards gunfire for the singular purpose of trying to save lives. And it is a fact that because of their quick response getting on the scene, being able to respond to the gunman and eliminate the gunman, they were able to save lives. Unfortunately, not enough.”

However, the Associated Press reported late Wednesday that police waited outside the school for at least 40 minutes while parents and onlookers urged them to do something.

“Let’s just rush in because the cops aren’t doing anything like they are supposed to,” Javier Cazares, whose daughter Jacklyn was killed in the attack, told the AP. “More could have been done.”

“There were five or six of [us] fathers, hearing the gunshots, and [police officers] were telling us to move back,” Cazares told the Washington Post. “We didn’t care about us. We wanted to storm the building. We were saying, ‘Let’s go,’ because that is how worried we were, and we wanted to get our babies out.”

A nearly seven-minute video posted to social media seems to support the AP’s story, showing police restraining parents outside the school, including holding one person on the ground. Uvalde, a small city of about 16,000 people, spends roughly 40% of its annual city budget on police.

Police said the shooter had barricaded himself inside the school, but the AP reported that he barricaded himself by locking the door. Border Patrol had difficulty breaching the locked classroom door and had to get a staff member with a key to unlock it.

“The bottom line is, law enforcement was there. They did engage immediately. They did contain [Ramos] in the classroom,” Department of Public Safety Director Steve McCraw told reporters Wednesday.

Law enforcement did not provide a televised press briefing on Tuesday evening. Abbott spoke briefly about the shooting in the late afternoon before attending a campaign fundraiser. School district leadership gave brief statements without providing any details or taking questions.

Officials said Wednesday that they had immediately engaged the shooter so he was pinned down and couldn’t access other areas of the school. NBC News reported early Thursday morning that, “for the second time, it appears the information initially provided by Texas law enforcement officials was wrong. The shooter was not stopped by the first officer that encountered him. And he wasn’t pinned down but rather appears to have locked himself in a classroom.”

Law enforcement had previously said the shooter was wearing body armor, but it also retracted that initial claim.
"

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 12:41 pm

It's a fkking horror story. ^

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 12:50 pm

Column: America’s gun violence problem won’t be solved until firearm owners finally understand it must be
By George SkeltonCapitol Journal Columnist
May 26, 2022 5 AM PT

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... un-control

"
... What we desperately need is something that seems beyond reach. And that’s for the two sides to agree there’s an intolerable problem. Then they need to negotiate and decide what to do about it.

It’s called compromise, an American concept even older than the awkwardly written 2nd Amendment.

Look, politicians have been railing about the proliferation of gun violence for a very long time. And gun murders have been escalating to the nation’s embarrassment.

The problem won’t be solved until firearms owners finally understand that it must be solved and compromise with gun control advocates — then give the politicians permission to act.
"

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 12:59 pm

Rolling Stone
Armed Law Enforcement Was on the Scene in Uvalde. They Just Didn’t Do Anything
Ryan Bort
Thu, May 26, 2022, 8:46 AM·4 min read
https://news.yahoo.com/armed-law-enforc ... 42156.html

And the article on Rolling Stone itself,
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... t-1358818/

"
“They were just angry, especially the dads,” Derek Sotelo, who headed to the school after hearing gunfire from his tire shop nearby, told The New York Times. “We were wondering, ‘What the heck is going on? Are they going in?’ The dads were saying, ‘Give me the vest, I’ll go in there!’”
"

Also:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/05/26 ... l-shooting
"
May 26, 2022, 1:37 p.m. ET
Edgar Sandoval
Even as heated criticism emerged of the police response, some family members of the slain children said they don’t blame officers. “We don’t know what was happening at that moment,” said Leonard Sandoval, 54, whose grandson Xavier James Lopez, 10, perished. He said it was difficult to hear that some parents were begging the responding officers to let them in and protect their children, but that if officers charged in unprepared, “some of them could had been shot, or killed, and if they let parents in, they could have gotten hurt too.”
"

:arrow:
"
A video uploaded to TikTok shows parents screaming at cops at the Uvalde school shooting.

The video appears to show Texas law enforcement officers holding back parents in a parking lot.

It's unclear if the video was taken during or after the shooting.
"
https://www.insider.com/video-parents-s ... ing-2022-5

"
"We got guys going in to get kids," the officer says. "They're working. They're working."

A man dressed in jeans can be seen in the video pointing and shouting as law enforcement approach him. Moments later — after a person stands in front of the camera and obscures the view — the man is on the ground, with the officers standing over him.

"He's a parent!" someone screams.

"What the f**k are you doing to him? Let him go," another person shouts. As the parents shout, one officer stands with his taser drawn.

Insider was unable to independently verify the videos.
"
"
Law enforcement have not made clear the details of how the shooter was able to enter the building despite being confronted prior to the shooting, nor the exact timeline of the police response.

Authorities have also been unclear in explaining how the shooter stayed in the school for up to an hour.
"

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 1:14 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Law enforcement have not made clear the details of how the shooter was able to enter the building despite being confronted prior to the shooting, nor the exact timeline of the police response.

Authorities have also been unclear in explaining how the shooter stayed in the school for up to an hour.

Key questions which relate back to HOW this was possible, instead of why he did it.

Learning HOW can prevent another tragedy.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 1:18 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Key questions which relate back to HOW this was possible, instead of why he did it.

Learning HOW can prevent another tragedy.

Truth.

I gotta go get some housework done, this comment blizzard ends now. Y'all take care.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 2:02 pm

Did that class room have a window ? Seems like the cops could have gotten at him quickly that way.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 2:08 pm

ABC News just said the school door wasn’t locked.Wide open.