How the Media Fell for A Racism Sham

Page 3 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 11:42 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Why are we skipping around why an all white college is acting unison to hide something?
Brigham Young is a predominantly white and Mormon institution

Perhaps they want to tell the rest of America "Nothing to see here folks" because their prophet, Joseph Smith believed black people were cursed (google it).

Brigham Young 99% white student body is not exactly paradise on earth for any black student
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/bla ... -rcna25366

This is a problem with BYU, covering up a systemic problem isn't going to address the underlying problem in values that is shared by the administrators or students who are all connected mormonism.

Jesus that's stupid. You can't just hand wave away evidence for or against a specific claim with "but they're mostly white and Mormon, therefore they're probably racist" because you want something to be true, that's not how things work. I really can't tell anymore if these idiotic posts of yours are intended maliciously or if you actually believe the garbage you post, either way the effect is the same.

Incidentally, the real history of Mormonism and race is rather complicated, with Joseph Smith actually being fairly progressive for his era in many regards and Brigham Young being the real racist (and generally not a great guy), but then you'd have to actually do some reading and develop a little knowledge on the subject rather than throwing around ignorance trying to get clout on an internet forum.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 11:43 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Police spoke with the banned UVU student who said that he approached a Duke player who was a friend after the game and said that he only told players that they should not hit the net with the ball. The cop profiles the "weird" acting fan as autistic and throws him out. It is possible with all the racism talk it is ableism that is at play. Or maybe the previous sentences are me projecting.

And what did this student do to justify getting banned? sounds like he was a scapegoat

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 11:44 pm

cyberdad wrote:
So I don't understand why the police doesn't accept this is evidence?

Because the videotape of the games showed otherwise, as you'd know if you'd bothered to actually read any of the linked articles.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 11:49 pm

Dox47 wrote:
You can't just hand wave away evidence for or against a specific claim with "but they're mostly white and Mormon, therefore they're probably racist" because you want something to be true, that's not how things work. I really can't tell anymore if these idiotic posts of yours are intended maliciously or if you actually believe the garbage you post, either way the effect is the same..

Therein lie the problem. There doesn't seem a will to gather evidence. I bought in Covington High School because the adminstrators there covered up their own students behaving in a racist manner in public by diverting attention to the media. What you have here is the adminstrators in BYU trying to divert attention away from their own history as both a racist institution and their mormon faith seemingly nurturing a new generation of little racists.

But I get it, you don't believe the black BYU students claims because it conflicts with your little story that feeds this thread

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 11:50 pm

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Because the videotape of the games showed otherwise, as you'd know if you'd bothered to actually read any of the linked articles.

The police are still asking for more video evidence so I wouldn't rub your hands in satisfaction just yet.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 11:50 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Richardson released a statement on Twitter confirming she and her Black teammates faced the racial attacks and highlighted that BYU’s athletic director, Tom Holmoe, is working to ensure his staff —whom Richardson said failed to take action during the game — is better equipped to handle such situations in the future.

So it seems all the black team mates heard racial attacks. So I don't understand why the police doesn't accept this is evidence? Is it because they are a group of black students?? I'm confused

Because apparently, the only evidence that her teammates faced racism are Richardson's claims.

cyberdad wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

The police are still asking for more video evidence so I wouldn't rub your hands in satisfaction just yet.

The article I link was posted on September 6. BYU closed its investigation three days later. It is now September 25 nothing reported yet.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 12:07 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
It is now September 25 nothing reported yet.

Yes but BYU has made multiple changes in handling their all-white student cheer squads at games. The changes are quite substantial given the counter-claims that this was all fake. I smell something fishy. I guarantee the BYU administrators are covering up things in the hope this goes away like the Covington school adminstrators all those years ago.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 1:03 am

cyberdad wrote:
Which is meandering off topic. I am talking about BYU
Of the 33,000 students at Brigham Young University, over 98 percent are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

< 1% of the student population is black
https://www.byu.edu/facts-figures

The incident at the volleyball match is seen as "business as usual" by students of colour on BYU campushttps://www.kuer.org/race-religio ... g-incident

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and waddles like a duck....chances are it's a duck

So all the colleges and universities in US that have a 95% or higher black population is an off topic false equivalency because it destroys your complaint?

I honestly can't believe that someone complaining about a Mormon college having mostly Mormon students. Or that a Mormon college located in a state that has a predominantly white demographic, has mostly white students. It's one of the dumbest protests you've come up with.

Guess what, most of the students in Muslim schools aren't white! Why aren't there more white students in Muslim schools in the US! It's outrageous!

And what about the lack of Christian students in Jewish schools?!

This has to stop!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 1:17 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Of the 33,000 students at Brigham Young University, over 98 percent are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The incident at the volleyball match is seen as "business as usual" by students of colour on BYU campushttps://www.kuer.org/race-religio ... g-incident

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and waddles like a duck....chances are it's a duck

So all the colleges and universities in US that have a 95% or higher black population is an off topic false equivalency because it destroys your complaint?

I honestly can't believe that someone complaining about a Mormon college having mostly Mormon students. Or that a Mormon college located in a state that has a predominantly white demographic, has mostly white students. It's one of the dumbest protests you've come up with.

Guess what, most of the students in Muslim schools aren't white! Why aren't there more white students in Muslim schools in the US! It's outrageous!

This has to stop!

Stop moving the goal posts, this is about BYU not about every other college in the US. Your strategic manoeuvring to derail this thread reminds me of a tactic practiced former regular contributor to WP whose name I'm not permitted to mention (and oh what a great pity) is no longer posting here. The similarity hasn't gone unnoticed.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 1:59 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

This has to stop!

Stop moving the goal posts, this is about BYU not about every other college in the US. Your strategic manoeuvring to derail this thread reminds me of a tactic practiced former regular contributor to WP whose name I'm not permitted to mention (and oh what a great pity) is no longer posting here. The similarity hasn't gone unnoticed.

My pointing out that there are many schools that have a mostly non-white population is a perfectly acceptable equivalency. Your complaint against BYU considering the type of school it is and where it's located is ridiculous.

Besides why would you want black students going to a school that's part of a cult?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 5:26 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
My pointing out that there are many schools that have a mostly non-white population is a perfectly acceptable equivalency. Your complaint against BYU considering the type of school it is and where it's located is ridiculous.

Besides why would you want black students going to a school that's part of a cult?

If you are talking about historically black colleges (HBCs) they were created during Jim Crow so that black students could attend higher education (since they weren't permitted to study in mainstream American Universities). Today they continue to be a safe space for black students.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 5:46 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Brigham Young University Is Investigating Alleged Racial Slurs Against Duke Black Volleyball Players During Game - The Hilltop The Nations Oldest Black Newspaper
Quote:
The story first made waves on social media after Richardson’s godmother Lesa Pamplin, a Fort Worth, Texas-based attorney who is currently running for Tarrant County’s Circuit Court Judge’s Number 5 position, posted about it in a tweet that quickly went viral.

“My Goddaughter is the only Black starter for Duke’s volleyball team. While playing yesterday, she was called a n*igger every time she served. She was threatened by a white male that told her to watch her back going to the team bus. A police officer had to be put by their bench,” Pamplin tweeted.

Richardson released a statement on Twitter confirming she and her Black teammates faced the racial attacks and highlighted that BYU’s athletic director, Tom Holmoe, is working to ensure his staff —whom Richardson said failed to take action during the game — is better equipped to handle such situations in the future.

The following match between Duke and BYU on Saturday, Aug. 27, was moved off the campus out of safety concerns. BYU released a statement on Aug. 28 condemning what took place.

The university also revealed that a fan identified by Duke to be yelling slurs was banned indefinitely from BYU sports events. It was later revealed that the fan was a student at Utah Valley University (UVU) sitting in the BYU fan section–which the school has eliminated for the rest of the tournament which concluded Saturday, Sept. 3.

In a BYU police report, Lt. George Besendorfer reported that the man who Duke identified does not appear to have been yelling the N-word nor any slurs in the surveillance footage they reviewed. The officer placed at the bench, Det. Sgt. Richard Laursen said he did not hear any racial slurs being made throughout the match and he did not see the UVU student who was banned use any negative language toward the Duke players. Laursen also said he believed the UVU student had Asperger’s Syndrome or autism.

Police spoke with the banned UVU student who said that he approached a Duke player who was a friend after the game and said that he only told players that they should not hit the net with the ball. Lt. Besendorfer noted that no fans have come forward to say they know who might have yelled the epithets and is encouraging people who were in the fan section to come forward by reaching out to the police dispatcher at 801-422-2222. Additionally, the school has asked for fans in attendance to provide any footage that may be helpful in narrowing down where the slurs may have come from.

bolding=mine

A completely paywalled Salt Lake Tribune story says people of color report there is racism on campus.

So Autism has found its way into this(SMH). There is no other evidence beyond the cops apparent opinion that the banned student is on the spectrum. If you want to go with cover-up angle implying the student actually said it but is too weird to be a racist could be a deflection. Sans cover up Richardson says she was the victim of slurs to the cops. The cop profiles the "weird" acting fan as autistic and throws him out. It is possible with all the racism talk it is ableism that is at play. Or maybe the previous sentences are me projecting.

Since the banned student is not from BYU, why the need for a cover-up?

While some our particular tribe might imagine themselves as being morally superior to NT's, that sadly isn't reality, even with racism. We can be just as despicable as the rest of humanity.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 10:26 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
It is now September 25 nothing reported yet.

Yes but BYU has made multiple changes in handling their all-white student cheer squads at games. The changes are quite substantial given the counter-claims that this was all fake. I smell something fishy. I guarantee the BYU administrators are covering up things in the hope this goes away like the Covington school adminstrators all those years ago.

I smell an attempt to mollify those charging the school with racism.

BYU is not claiming she made it up.

There is no evidence circumstantial or otherwise that this is a hoax. No media is reporting anonymous teammates and other people claiming she had done this before or is an attention seeker, or sees racism everywhere.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 6:49 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
and other people claiming she had done this before or is an attention seeker, or sees racism everywhere.

Who are these "other people"??

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 11:12 pm

I think that racism is a cancer that should be gotten rid of.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 11:31 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that racism is a cancer that should be gotten rid of.

I agree