Italy about to elect far right prime minister

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 6:27 pm

The far-right leader of Italy’s Brothers of Italy party, Giorgia Meloni, is set to win government, exit polls suggest.
The party is expected to win between 41 and 45 per cent of the vote in Sunday’s general election, data released by exit pollster Piepoli suggests.
https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/le ... c61a612c52

Her right-wing coalition looks set to secure a majority in both houses of parliament.

From a teenage activist who praised Mussolini she is set to be favourite to become Italy’s first female prime minister
Meloni was a teenage activist with the youth wing of the Italian Social Movement (MSI), formed by supporters of fascist dictator Benito Mussolini after World War II.

At 19, campaigning for the far-right National Alliance, she told French television that “Mussolini was a good politician, in that everything he did, he did for Italy”.

After being elected an MP for National Alliance in 2006, she shifted her tone, saying the dictator had made “mistakes”, notably the racial laws, his authoritarianism and entering World War II on the side of Adolf Hitler’s Nazi Germany.

Her party takes its name from the first line of Italy’s national anthem and its logo includes the same flame used by MSI, in the green, white and red of the country’s flag.

She has refused calls to change the logo, insisting the flame has “nothing to do with fascism” — and blaming talk to the contrary on “the left”. :roll: (She would be eligible to join the US republican party with that sort of talk)

It started with Italy back in the 1920s almost 100 years ago and now the cycle is set to move Europe back to fascism. Plato's cycle of government is based on 100 year cycles so given he predicted this stuff 2000 years ago I must say he is eerily accurate.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 7:03 pm

History really does repeat itself....

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 7:40 pm

Sweden is the only European country worth emulating.

Certain verses of the Bible and Quran are considered hate speech, which is a criminal offense there. As such, bullying of LGBT people is virtually non-existent. Even then, Sweden is one of the world's least religious countries.

Quote:
Sweden prohibits hate speech, and defines it as publicly making statements that threaten or express disrespect for an ethnic group or similar group regarding their race, skin colour, national or ethnic origin, faith, or sexual orientation.[86][87] The law does not prohibit a pertinent and responsible debate (en saklig och vederhäftig diskussion), nor statements made in a completely private sphere.[88] There are constitutional restrictions pertaining to which acts are criminalized, as well limits set by the European Convention on Human Rights.[89] The crime is called hets mot folkgrupp in Swedish, which directly translates to Incitement (of hatred/violence) towards population group.
The sexual orientation provision, added in 2002,[90] was used to convict Pentecostalist pastor Åke Green of hate speech based on a 2003 sermon. His conviction was later overturned.[89][91]

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 10:02 pm

A number of former non-Soviet states such as Poland and Hungary have already embraced far right leaders and countries like Ukraine have lionised neo-Nazis as protectors of the people.

Italy is really the first western European country since 1945 to fully re-embrace fascism. Greece's "Golden Dawn" and France's National Rally has also had fluctuating fortunes.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 10:38 pm

Looks like Italy has gotten sick of wokeism too.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 10:44 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:

Why am I not surprised you are happy about the return of fascism in Europe

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 10:46 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Because you know I consider wokeism worse than what wokeism calls facsim.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 10:50 pm

cyberdad wrote:
A number of former non-Soviet states such as Poland and Hungary have already embraced far right leaders and countries like Ukraine have lionised neo-Nazis as protectors of the people.

Italy is really the first western European country since 1945 to fully re-embrace fascism. Greece's "Golden Dawn" and France's National Rally has also had fluctuating fortunes.

And I feel like this is the first time in history that the US was on the verge of fully embracing fascism but for some reason so many people are refusing to acknowledge this.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 11:00 pm

Who gets voted in November 8th will give an indication of what direction the US is going in.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 11:00 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Because you know I consider wokeism worse than what wokeism calls facsim.

That is about the stupidest thing I have ever read in my life. So a dangerous idealogy that lead to a second world war in which many people were oppressed and/or slaughtered is less evil to you than a slightly annoying liberal movement that calls the obvious oppresors out on their bigotry? There are a lot of things I don't like about the woke movement myself but I would never outright say that being woke is worse than being a fascist.

And I really wish I could say a lot more about your little comment but I'd probably get banned again for saying what I really think.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 11:03 pm

What leftism and wokeism calls facsim isn't really facsim.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 11:05 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
What leftism and wokeism calls facsim isn't really facsim.

If it quacks like a fascist while admiring or defending dictators like Mussolini it's a fascist.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 11:14 pm

I'm going to pack my bags and move to Italy.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 11:30 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm going to pack my bags and move to Italy.

I'm pretty sure the incoming prime minister is going to be anti-immigrant CR!

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 11:41 pm

Gods help us all...

I don't think World War 3 ever felt as likely to happen as it does right now. Not even during the Cold War.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 12:22 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
And I feel like this is the first time in history that the US was on the verge of fully embracing fascism but for some reason so many people are refusing to acknowledge this.

You should study your history, specifically the Wilson and FDR administrations.