26 Sep 2022, 2:53 am

No idea why protests are happening here though I'm the UK

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 10:38 am

Nades wrote:
No idea why protests are happening here though I'm the UK

What’s happening in Iran is the biggest anti-hijab protest in the Middle Eastern and the Muslim World’s history.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 10:51 am

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 2:34 pm

Vancouver’s Persian community rallied in full force at the VAG for this. (Vancouver Art Gallery - the steps of which are The Place for protests in the city, unless you’re one of those climate protestors, then they stop traffic in the middle of bridges.)

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/loca ... ni-5871037

FWIW, there are Persians throughout metro vansterdam, but there’s a large community of them in the cities of North & West Vancouver - they’re very, very, wealthy and buy up very expensive mansions. Maybe some poorer ones here, too, but in general the ones that come here bring tons of money with them.

Nice to see people living the free West Coast life protesting for the freedom of their people half a world away. 8)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 2:35 pm

180 dead. 8O :(

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 3:59 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Vancouver’s Persian community rallied in full force at the VAG for this. (Vancouver Art Gallery - the steps of which are The Place for protests in the city, unless you’re one of those climate protestors, then they stop traffic in the middle of bridges.)

FWIW, there are Persians throughout metro vansterdam, but there’s a large community of them in the cities of North & West Vancouver - they’re very, very, wealthy and buy up very expensive mansions. Maybe some poorer ones here, too, but in general the ones that come here bring tons of money with them.

Nice to see people living the free West Coast life protesting for the freedom of their people half a world away. 8)

Btw, "Persian" is just an ethnicity identity in the multi-ethnicity Iran. Not all Iranians are Persians, and actually not all Persians are Iranians either.

Masha Amini for instance was Kurd Iranian.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Sep 2022, 4:20 am

For some reason, Kurds have very good press in Poland.

I met only one personally and he was genuinely in line with this good press.

I wonder if these opinions on Kurds stem back from Iraqui War, where Polish soldiers found them the most relatable group of locals? Maybe.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 6:21 am

magz wrote:
For some reason, Kurds have very good press in Poland.

I met only one personally and he was genuinely in line with this good press.

I wonder if these opinions on Kurds stem back from Iraqui War, where Polish soldiers found them the most relatable group of locals? Maybe.

Poland got erased from the map at least twice.

Back in the late 1700s (at about the same time as my USA was first put ON the map)Poland got divied up between Prussia, Austria, and Czarist Russia. And Poland didnt get to be its own country again until the end of the first world war.

And then after only 20 years of independence Poland got partitioned again between Hitler and Stalin. The combined Nazi and Soviet invasions triggered the Second World War.

Kurds are a people spread out across three countries (Iran, Syria, and Iraq) that have also been denied their own nation state. So that could be a reason why there is a natural sympathy between Kurds and Poles I would think. And also between Kurds and Jews (another longtime stateless group) for that reason (and there have been moments of cooperation between Israel and the Kurds though theyve never been overtly allies AFAIK).

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Sep 2022, 6:30 am

Yes, that's cartainly a factor here: a nation with strong identity but no state is well relatable to 19th century Poland - which means they're in a situation well relating to our culture classics.

The Kurd I knew also showed a welcome version of Islam - he didn't eat pork nor drink wine but he was totally friendly towards my culture, including full respect to European concept of a woman in the society. In Middle East, men often mistook my ease to socialize with them for sexual availability, but the Kurd got it perfectly right.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 11:49 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Btw, "Persian" is just an ethnicity identity in the multi-ethnicity Iran. Not all Iranians are Persians, and actually not all Persians are Iranians either.

Oh.

I thought it was just an older name for the geographic area of present day Iran.

Maybe the ones that come here are mostly/all ethnic Persians, as many identity as being the Persian community and we have a small chain of stores called 'Persia Foods.' (that sell the best dates available here.)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 1:54 am

goldfish21 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Oh.

I thought it was just an older name for the geographic area of present day Iran.

It is so also, it is the predominant ethnic group of Iran. However the other ~50% is made of up of other ethnicities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnicities_in_Iran

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 5:52 am

Boo hoo a pro-regime crying in tweet, and of course London’s police has to defend the officials.
After all, the *pedophile* Khomeini started to broadcast « revolution » ideas from France, via BBC radio.

Actually, filth like those deserve more than that. Violence is the only way against those. It is a kill or be killed paradox

https://twitter.com/yazdihp/status/1574 ... 62592?s=21

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 8:30 am

goldfish21 wrote:
They need to be discussing why something as absurd as 'morality police,' exists in the first place.

Yes, I know certain right wing politicians the world over are trying to force their version of this crap on people in 'the West,' but I think that's nuts, too.

Yeah like requiring people to wear clothes.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 2:06 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
They need to be discussing why something as absurd as 'morality police,' exists in the first place.

Yes, I know certain right wing politicians the world over are trying to force their version of this crap on people in 'the West,' but I think that's nuts, too.

Yeah like requiring people to wear clothes.

False equivalency.

Forcing all people to live their lives by a specific religion's set of morals, as interpreted by religious fanatics, is a far cry from having to wear shorts in public. (Completely legal for women to be topless in public in British Columbia.)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 9:02 am

Iran is now bombing Kurds

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/iran-m ... g-victims/

Why the regime is bombing the kurds northern iraq?
It is simple, the regime wants to frame the protests in an ethnical rebellion conflict (Persians vs Kurds, Masha Amini was Kurd Iranian) as a desperate attempt to scare its Persians from joining the protests.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 01 Oct 2022, 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.