Page 5 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 2:26 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Kinda like the myth about the black slaves who fought on the side of the Confederacy?

Maybe myth, maybe not.

It's like there was an actual 'gays for trump,' group.. yet the trump administration was in fact particularly anti-lgbt in their policies.

Some people must just like to hate on the groups they identify with.

I'm sure there were maybe even a few Jews who might have supported Hitler for whatever reason made sense to them at the time.

Yeah I know humans are just too hard to figure out. Especially the ones who support things that are against their own best interests.

This is what I keep saying about Americans that vote against their own self interest of having things like socialized medicine for all, like every other developed country's citizens enjoy. Or properly funded public education. Etc. But instead they're persuaded to vote against their best interests for the politicians that claim they'll anger the other side on their behalf while spending their tax dollars on ever increasingly expensive fireworks shows in the deserts half a world away.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 2:39 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Kinda like the myth about the black slaves who fought on the side of the Confederacy?

Maybe myth, maybe not.

It's like there was an actual 'gays for trump,' group.. yet the trump administration was in fact particularly anti-lgbt in their policies.

I'm sure there were maybe even a few Jews who might have supported Hitler for whatever reason made sense to them at the time.

Yeah I know humans are just too hard to figure out. Especially the ones who support things that are against their own best interests.

This is what I keep saying about Americans that vote against their own self interest of having things like socialized medicine for all, like every other developed country's citizens enjoy. Or properly funded public education. Etc. But instead they're persuaded to vote against their best interests for the politicians that claim they'll anger the other side on their behalf while spending their tax dollars on ever increasingly expensive fireworks shows in the deserts half a world away.

Yeah I agree with all this. I don't really know what else to say? :|

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 3:19 pm

You know what, that's on me, I forgot which thread I was in for a second, but let's get back to the changing demographics of American gun owners, there are plenty of other threads to talk about his orangeness and American welfare state policy in.

On a fun side note, a guy at work last night thought he could haze me by giving me an order of Cali compliant ARs to build, but I just smiled and reminded him that every one of these abominations we ship is a middle finger in the face to Cali Democrats, which wiped the smirk off his face and replaced it with a different smirk, and a "huh, never thought about it that way". I love my job.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 3:33 pm

Dox47 wrote:
You know what, that's on me, I forgot which thread I was in for a second, but let's get back to the changing demographics of American gun owners, there are plenty of other threads to talk about his orangeness and American welfare state policy in.

On a fun side note, a guy at work last night thought he could haze me by giving me an order of Cali compliant ARs to build, but I just smiled and reminded him that every one of these abominations we ship is a middle finger in the face to Cali Democrats, which wiped the smirk off his face and replaced it with a different smirk, and a "huh, never thought about it that way". I love my job.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

The joy you experience out of this must be like when leftists plant trees for future generations to hug! 8)

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 7:04 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Maybe myth, maybe not.

Like the people who buy electric cars in States where the grids are constantly overloaded, because they're so brainwashed?

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 1:57 am

Dox47 wrote:

You have my dream job.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 3:17 am

goldfish21 wrote:
:heart: :heart: :heart:

The joy you experience out of this must be like when leftists plant trees for future generations to hug! 8)

Oh, it's much better than that, there would have to be an anti-tree lobby that keeps passing poorly thought out tree control legislation (which they disingenuously term "tree safety" because they think we're stupid) that we're ingeniously bypassing by hewing to the letter of the law and not the spirit in order for there to be an equivalence. It's not enough that we're doing God's work, it's that we're spiting a bunch of jackasses while we do it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 10:39 am

Yeah, you'd think if it were about safety they'd benchmark the gun laws and practices in countries with very low rates of gun violence instead of just doing more of whatever isn't working.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 1:25 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Yeah, you'd think if it were about safety they'd benchmark the gun laws and practices in countries with very low rates of gun violence instead of just doing more of whatever isn't working.

Run it in reverse; do you actually think any of the countries with low violent crime rates would suddenly get violent if they had guns? I don't, I think some assaults might turn into murders because guns are a more effective tool for using force on someone, but the idea that they're causing people to become violent out of the blue is incoherent. The US is just more culturally violent than a lot of other countries for some very complex reasons, IIRC even if you take all of the gun murders off the table and set them aside, our non-firearms violence is still higher than many of these countries touted as safer due to their gun laws, showing that to be debatable at best.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 1:28 pm

Just to add, more people in the US are murdered with bare hands alone than with rifles and shotguns, which includes the nebulous "assault weapons" the Democrats are always railing on about. Kinda shows you how dumb this debate really is, focusing on some of the least criminally useful firearms because they're scary looking and the Democratic base doesn't know any better.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2022, 11:35 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Just to add, more people in the US are murdered with bare hands alone than with rifles and shotguns, which includes the nebulous "assault weapons" the Democrats are always railing on about. Kinda shows you how dumb this debate really is, focusing on some of the least criminally useful firearms because they're scary looking and the Democratic base doesn't know any better.

False....the two most common ways people are murdered are shot and stabbed. Strangulation is way down the list.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2022, 11:43 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

False....the two most common ways people are murdered are shot and stabbed. Strangulation is way down the list.

That doesn't refute what he said. He specifically mentioned long guns, not ALL guns. The vast majority of shootings are hand guns, not long guns. Long guns make up a tiny percentage of shootings.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2022, 11:48 pm

cyberdad wrote:

You really should set a 5 minute timer every time you're thinking of posting, and in those minutes you should do a cursory google search about the thing you're about to say, it would save you a lot of embarrassing posts like this. Of course, in this case you seem to have missed that I specified long guns and not guns generally, but perhaps the time would also have helped with your reading comprehension, selective as it is.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2022, 11:54 pm

Worthless wrote:
You have my dream job.

It's not as glamorous as you might think, it's a lot of repetitive tasks assembling the same components over and over again, I like it because I'm good at catching errors and bad parts due to my experience and education, and because I'm ideologically committed, it's not for everyone. On the plus side, gun companies are like an extended family in a way, and they have an interlocking set of discounts that apply industry wide, so even though my company largely manufactures AR15s, (which I can buy for dirt cheap from them), I also get 30-50% off almost anything gun related out there, including optics, armor, and silencers, it makes it kind of hard to hold onto a paycheck honestly.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2022, 12:22 am

How does one get into the industry? Do you need certain degrees or certifications to get a job? Is there somewhere to look for job listings in the industry?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2022, 12:49 am

Worthless wrote:
How does one get into the industry? Do you need certain degrees or certifications to get a job? Is there somewhere to look for job listings in the industry?

It really depends on where in the country you live and what companies are nearby, I kinda lucked into this job because my company recently moved into a larger space and has been on a hiring spree to spin up production. I'm actually wildly overqualified for what I currently do, as I have a full gunsmithing degree that included woodwork, machining, repair and function, etc, when what I'm doing at work is mostly just straight assembly, though I do use a milling machine and a TIG torch to do the pin and welds. Honestly, even an armorer's course would be more than enough qualification to get a job putting guns together, especially ARs which are like adult legos in how modular they are, those aren't too expensive or time intensive, they just require some patience and a good eye for detail. You could literally walk in off the street and get a job on the warehouse side picking parts, which isn't gun related per se but could lead to something, and gets you in the door for all of those sweet discounts, you just need to be 21, have a clean background, and be able to pass a drug test, it's pretty easy to get in. Don't work in a gunshop unless you're looking to learn the retail side of the business specifically, it's obnoxious and you won't learn much unless you have an in house gunsmith who takes a liking to you and has the patience to teach, and those are pretty rare.