Shooting in Walmart Near Virginia Beach

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,720
Location: City of Roses

26 Nov 2022, 10:55 am

And why isnt the American government doing anything about this so called 'mind virus'?



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,254
Location: Seattle-ish

26 Nov 2022, 1:38 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
And why isnt the American government doing anything about this so called 'mind virus'?


Because it's extraordinarily useful to them, allowing them to whip up a climate of fear that they can campaign and raise money on, and in the case of the Democrat party it gives them an excuse to push the restrictions they've long desired anyway. As I've pointed out numerous times previously, including just now, guns were previously far more common and readily available with no vetting whatsoever, including fully automatic weapons, and yet there was no regular spate of random public massacres, indicative of a different cause than mere weapon availability. However, stupid and or bad faith people are unwilling and/or unable to grasp that concept, so the pointless bickering goes on, while those of us on the gun owning side keep stacking ammo, armor, and NODs against the day the progressives are dumb enough to get their way and we decide to do something about it.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,254
Location: Seattle-ish

26 Nov 2022, 1:43 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

So, if it's not all the guns that Americans have that other countries don't and it's a mind virus, why hasn't this mind virus spread to other countries? :?

Know what the American mind virus looks like when it leaks across the border into Canada? Handguns. Then those viral bullet slingers end up in the hands of drug gangs who shoot mostly each other over turf. Such a strange physical manifestation of a mind virus..


I'm shocked, just shocked that the point went straight over your head, and that you moved the goalposts by switching to a completely different type of crime, gangs struggling for territory vs mass killings at random.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


Last edited by Cornflake on 26 Nov 2022, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.: Removed a personal attack

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,579
Location: Aux Arcs

27 Nov 2022, 1:43 pm

When I was young no one locked their guns up in a safe, they would be on display on a rack or in a cabinet with glass doors.No safety locks for hand guns.People openly carried long rifles on display in racks in trucks.You could order guns from the Sears catalog and have them delivered to your door.No checks at all.
http://www.wishbookweb.com/FB/1969_Sear ... x.html#419
There is something very sick in our society that is causing this violence.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2016
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,637
Location: Missouri

27 Nov 2022, 10:48 pm

Misslizard wrote:
There is something very sick in our society that is causing this violence.


And the society appears to want to talk about everything related, everything superficial, everything partisan, and not get down to directly and comprehensively addressing that.

Which then raises the question of what exactly is that that.

And I expect society's answers to that question will be fully founded on the partisan politics and personal life philosophy of each person answering.

:arrow: I live figuratively across the street from our little rural burg's Walmart and I both want to go ask the employees if they are doing okay, and I want to not remind them of the shooting. :cry:


_________________
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011


kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2016
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,637
Location: Missouri

27 Nov 2022, 11:01 pm

Misslizard wrote:
When I was young no one locked their guns up in a safe, they would be on display on a rack or in a cabinet with glass doors.No safety locks for hand guns.People openly carried long rifles on display in racks in trucks.You could order guns from the Sears catalog and have them delivered to your door.No checks at all.


Yep. We are both from that era.
Even took Dad's rifle to school for a state-given safe hunting and outdoors class in 1970s so I could get a discount on a fishing license.

I grew up with Dad in military and hence lived among military families where skeet and trap shooting and hunting were common hobbies.
Parents' guns and the ammunition were either in the family room, on the back porch, or in the parents bedroom closet.
And all of us kids knew it.
And none of us kids messed with any of it.
And neither did the adults.
Except in very rare and remarkable instances.

Something in people has changed since then.

And American culture and society seems to want to look at every contributing factor except itself.

I expect that until American society takes that long deep, and hard, look at what it vales, what it celebrates, what it holds dear, what it allows, what it worships, and takes corrective action the situation will not improve.

There being too many disparate entities each with its own agenda, and each of which can not allow for even a teaspoon of any other agenda besides its own to exist, pretty much guarantees, even demands, failure to solve the problem.

I would really like to NOT be the cynical and jaded doom and gloom voice in the room but I am convinced the human behavior data do not suggest a near-term outcome of kittens and butterflies.
Or any-term outcome of happy days and hyacinths -- ever.


_________________
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,380
Location: Long Island, New York

27 Nov 2022, 11:06 pm

Andre Bing claims he was called Dahmer and teased by coworkers in ‘manifesto’

Quote:
A chilling “death note” was recovered from a phone belonging to the suspected gunman who killed six people inside a Virginia Walmart store days before the Thanksgiving holiday.

In the alleged document released by Chesapeake officials on Friday morning, Andre Bing says he was “harassed by idiots” who compared him to the cannibal serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer.

The note includes his apologies to God and lambasts coworkers he believes bullied and betrayed him.

Police also reported that the 9mm handgun firearm used in the attack was purchased from a local store on the morning of 22 November, hours before he fatally shot six colleagues and turned the gu


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 111,682
Location: the island of defective toy santas

27 Nov 2022, 11:13 pm

a critical mass of amuuuricans are that fatal combination of mean and stupid.



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,254
Location: Seattle-ish

27 Nov 2022, 11:55 pm

auntblabby wrote:
a critical mass of amuuuricans are that fatal combination of mean and stupid.


Whoosh.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,506
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

28 Nov 2022, 10:27 am

Dox47 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

So, if it's not all the guns that Americans have that other countries don't and it's a mind virus, why hasn't this mind virus spread to other countries? :?

Know what the American mind virus looks like when it leaks across the border into Canada? Handguns. Then those viral bullet slingers end up in the hands of drug gangs who shoot mostly each other over turf. Such a strange physical manifestation of a mind virus..


I'm shocked, just shocked that the point went straight over your head, and that you moved the goalposts by switching to a completely different type of crime, gangs struggling for territory vs mass killings at random.

Both are gun crimes where civilians die because it's incredibly easy for people to obtain guns in the USA.

I suspect the reason you keep ignoring that fact is because that's exactly how you earn your paycheque. Of course people who make money from perpetuating the status quo of high volume gun sales to whomever has cash to pay is going to support the American gun lobby.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,254
Location: Seattle-ish

28 Nov 2022, 4:41 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Both are gun crimes where civilians die because it's incredibly easy for people to obtain guns in the USA.

I suspect the reason you keep ignoring that fact is because that's exactly how you earn your paycheque. Of course people who make money from perpetuating the status quo of high volume gun sales to whomever has cash to pay is going to support the American gun lobby.


Ad hominem fallacy, you can't refute my argument, that gun crime was less common and mass shootings virtually unheard of, when guns were less restricted, so you attempt to attack my motives instead, typical weak debate move. Particularly weak here in that my position on guns predates my employment in the field by about 20 years, as can be easily discerned here on WP, as I was never shy about my status as a cook and chef for many years.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 May 2016
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,527
Location: Virginia

28 Nov 2022, 4:51 pm

Dox47 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Both are gun crimes where civilians die because it's incredibly easy for people to obtain guns in the USA.

I suspect the reason you keep ignoring that fact is because that's exactly how you earn your paycheque. Of course people who make money from perpetuating the status quo of high volume gun sales to whomever has cash to pay is going to support the American gun lobby.


Ad hominem fallacy, you can't refute my argument, that gun crime was less common and mass shootings virtually unheard of, when guns were less restricted, so you attempt to attack my motives instead, typical weak debate move. Particularly weak here in that my position on guns predates my employment in the field by about 20 years, as can be easily discerned here on WP, as I was never shy about my status as a cook and chef for many years.

I haven't read every one of your posts, so not sure if you ever voiced an opinion. Why do you think we have these shootings in recent years, but not decades back, when the public was much more casual with firearms?

My opinion is that it's rooted in moral rot. Certainly mental health, but IMO caused by moral rot.



DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,720
Location: City of Roses

28 Nov 2022, 5:04 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Both are gun crimes where civilians die because it's incredibly easy for people to obtain guns in the USA.

I suspect the reason you keep ignoring that fact is because that's exactly how you earn your paycheque. Of course people who make money from perpetuating the status quo of high volume gun sales to whomever has cash to pay is going to support the American gun lobby.


Ad hominem fallacy, you can't refute my argument, that gun crime was less common and mass shootings virtually unheard of, when guns were less restricted, so you attempt to attack my motives instead, typical weak debate move. Particularly weak here in that my position on guns predates my employment in the field by about 20 years, as can be easily discerned here on WP, as I was never shy about my status as a cook and chef for many years.

I haven't read every one of your posts, so not sure if you ever voiced an opinion. Why do you think we have these shootings in recent years, but not decades back, when the public was much more casual with firearms?

My opinion is that it's rooted in moral rot. Certainly mental health, but IMO caused by moral rot.


In other words Americans as a collective have become rotten people lately which I why I find it hard to feel any sympathy towards my own country.

There's still a few good ones left but they are few and far between now.



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,254
Location: Seattle-ish

29 Nov 2022, 4:55 am

r00tb33r wrote:
Why do you think we have these shootings in recent years, but not decades back, when the public was much more casual with firearms?


Honestly, it's mostly the media, they've spent decades now drilling the exact method to get worldwide attention into the head of every disaffected weirdo out there, the one surefire way to make the world pay attention to you no matter what a loser you are in every other measure. There are other cultural factors around despair and loneliness that play roles, but it's the media that puts the idea out there and reinforces the behavior when it occurs, on some level I think they want shootings to happen as they're good for business and allow them to grandstand about their morals, a real win/win for them.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2016
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,637
Location: Missouri

29 Nov 2022, 12:36 pm

Dox47 wrote:
on some level I think they want shootings to happen as they're good for business and allow them to grandstand about their morals, a real win/win for them.


That brings to mind Don Henley's 1980-something song Dirty Laundry, which was a biting editorial on the news media ...

Repeating chorus lines omitted in the quote below,
https://www.songfacts.com/lyrics/don-he ... ty-laundry

Quote:
I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something-something I can use
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear
Give us dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em all around

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blond
Who comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die
Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation?
Is the head dead yet?
You know, the boys in the newsroom got a running bet
Get the widow on the set!
We need dirty laundry

You don't really need to find out what's going on
You don't really want to know just how far it's gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down

... (several repeats)

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're stiff
Kick 'em all around

Dirty little secrets
Dirty little lies
We got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pie
We love to cut you down to size
We love dirty laundry

We can do "The Innuendo"
We can dance and sing
When it's said and done we haven't told you a thing
We all know that Kraft is king
Give us dirty laundry!

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down

... (multiple repeats)


_________________
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011