Indonesia to ban sex outside of marriage

Page 6 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 10:48 am

Our public schools here vary district by district around the Province, and sometimes even within a district like mine at the time. Everyone goes from Kindergarten through grade 12 (approx 17-18yo), but for Me it was Elementary School (K-7), Junior High School (8-10) and High School (11-12). We were the only 11-12 only High School in the district, and I'm not sure if there were others anywhere else. Now they've changed all of them in that district to Elementary K-5, High School 8-12. Other districts have K-6 (I think) and then MIDDLE School 6-8, High School 9-12. etc.

My high school had a focus on career prep for trades - wood, mechanics, I did an AutoCAD drafting program on top of my regular studies. My cousin's high school a few cities over is Also the BC School for the deaf, so they have TV's in the hallways for announcements.. and since they have screens, they have a film broadcasting program and she got her start in the film industry in high school! There's a high school near my house that has a large theatre - the Bell Performing Arts Centre and that school is known for acting/dancing/fine arts. There are also "traditional schools," that even though they're public schools they have school uniforms and things I think. Another offered higher level classes in various courses than the rest of the schools as well as Japanese, Mandarin, or German language classes instead of the standard French or Spanish.

It's kind of silly how wildly different various high schools can be around here considering we do have standardized education - well for the base of it, anyways. People end up transferring across districts or moving from one home to another in order for their kids to attend certain schools. Then there are the wealthy immigrants that move here and are willing to pay $$$$$$$$ to live in a neighbourhood where their kid can attend a top rated high school or private school - like the kind of private schools where their parents or nannies drop them off in Bentley's/Rolls Royces or Ferraris etc, or maybe the nanny drives a "lowly," range rover.

College/University are used almost interchangeably, but colleges don't tend to offer degrees - unless it's a specialized college within a University campus. Then just to throw a wrench in things, I went to business school at BCIT (British Columbia Institute of Technology) where I did 130.5 credits (a 4 year degree is 120 credits) in 2 years and earned a Diploma of Technology. Typically a Diploma or Certificate program is 1-2 years and far fewer credits than a bachelors degree, so for some they may assume a "Diploma," is lesser than a degree, but anyone local hiring graduates that knows BCIT's programming and education Knows that a BCIT Dipl. T. is like having a post graduate specialized degree in a specific field - in fact, many who go there already have degrees from other schools then go there for the no-nonsense all practical learning specialization before they get to work in their chosen field. They do now offer Bachelors of Technology degrees there, too.

But yeah, typically when someone says college it's assumed students are 18/19 at minimum, out of high school, and studying something with the eventual goal of completing a full University degree, often by transferring credits from a college to a University because they couldn't get into the University right away, or couldn't afford it, or wanted to take a variety of general studies things to test the waters because they're aimless and didn't want to just get a job etc etc etc.

And of course, to tie it all back in to the original topic, it's pretty well assumed that if you're a college student you're having premarital sex and thus are ineligible for travel to Indonesia these days because the likelihood you're just going to go there and suntan and not get laid either by a partner, fellow tourist(s), resort worker or local is approaching zero. :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 2:17 pm

As for "banning sex outside of marriage," I doubt Indonesia will be able to enforce this. But there is room for "selective enforcement" when one seeks to blackmail someone else.

New York State actually had an Adultery law until very recently. The only way to prove Adultery was to provide a photograph of the "adulterer" in the "act."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 2:30 pm

KitLily wrote:
I will stop being a feminist when women and men are treated equally.
When a man can walk into Divorce Court wearing a mini-skirt and a see-through blouse, sit down, cross his legs, wink at the judge, and walk out with the house, the kids, and half of his wife’s salary for the next 30 years, THEN we will have equality of the sexes.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 5:10 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Interestingly, some university/college students in the US continue to refer to attending college as "going to school." I've heard even doctoral candidates say that.

Informally, especially in sports, colleges could be "four-year schools."

I think (I could be wrong?) but in the UK it's faculty and departments
In the US its Faculties and schools

In Australia it's a mix of both, sandstone/older prestigious universities tend to use departments

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 5:13 pm

Fnord wrote:
KitLily wrote:
I will stop being a feminist when women and men are treated equally.
When a man can walk into Divorce Court wearing a mini-skirt and a see-through blouse, sit down, cross his legs, wink at the judge, and walk out with the house, the kids, and half of his wife’s salary for the next 30 years, THEN we will have equality of the sexes.

Been there, experienced that. I guess you haven't read all my posts.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 5:18 pm

Back on the topic, the ban is already having consequences apart from travel warnings to Australians
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-63885435

It is of far greater significance to Indonesia's LGBTQ community, who cannot marry, and fear the law will be used against them.
Others have pointed out the risk of this provision being abused in personal vendettas against estranged family members, or by people with ultra-conservative or religious beliefs who cannot accept the lifestyle preferences of their children.

The new code makes it a crime to insult the president or vice-president, punishable by up to three years in prison, although this can only happen if either of the two top office-holders files a complaint. It criminalises holding protests without permission.
Human rights groups have identified 17 articles which they believe threaten the freedoms won since the return to democratic rule in the 1990s.

From a legal standpoint, this reminds me of the same implications in the US when Rose Vs Wade was reversed.
Infact it's very similar. In the US it's conservative religious fundementalists reversing legal strides/gains made by progressives. In Indonesia its also conservative religious fundementalists reversing legal strides/gains made by progressives. Curious coincidence? or are the Indonesians watching US politics?

Once you open the door to reversing long standing legal protections then it opens up attacking other civil rights.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 5:43 pm

Depending on the college, there are, to state examples, "faculties of biochemistry" and "schools of law."

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 5:44 pm

cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Interestingly, some university/college students in the US continue to refer to attending college as "going to school." I've heard even doctoral candidates say that.

In Australia it's a mix of both, sandstone/older prestigious universities tend to use departments

Faculties and departments here, although Commerce programs are usually called "The ______ School of Business".

We say "In school" for anything including doctoral programs.

CÉGEP are publicly-funded colleges. Two years of CÉGEP are mandatory for high school graduates to apply to university undergrad programs in Quebec.

In general, "college" means a community college, where you get a diploma rather than a degree.
We don't refer to university as college, as they're two different types of institution.

I don't know many people who went to college prior to Uni, apart from those who attended CÉGEP.

Larger universities have "colleges" (in name only) which are parts of the university.
Each college offers similar faculties and departments.
It's just the buildings, locations, and histories which differ.
Each college is like a small community with its own administration and services.
People consider their UT "college" as their alma mater.

For example UT has:

Innis College
New College
St. Michael's College
University College
Trinity College
Victoria College
Woodsworth College

I'm partial to Vic myself. :heart:
You can take classes at any of the colleges if you are accepted to UT.
Your degree will say University of Toronto but your loyalty will be with your specific college.

Last edited by IsabellaLinton on 09 Dec 2022, 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 5:55 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Faculties and departments here, although Commerce programs are usually called "The ______ School of Business".

We say "In school" for anything including doctoral programs.

CÉGEP are publicly-funded colleges. Two years of CÉGEP are mandatory for high school graduates to apply to university undergrad programs in Quebec.

In general, "college" means a community college, where you get a diploma rather than a degree.
We don't refer to university as college, as they're two different types of institution.

I don't know many people who went to college prior to Uni, apart from those who attended CÉGEP.

Yes in Australia colleges aren't affiliated with Universities and denote tertiary and further study usually aimed at vocational training (e.g. trades, mechanics, cooking and horticulture). In more recent years colleges have been set up as alternative pathways to highschool to gain entry to University. The latter are exclusively aimed at foreign students (usually Asian) who require language education. Some of the courses in college are recognised though and students can get credit toward some of their first year university units.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 6:03 pm

Here's Vic: (sigh)

https://www.vic.utoronto.ca/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 6:03 pm

Departments also exist in colleges in the US, I should point out. Pace University, for example, has an "English Department."

In middle school, junior high school, and high school, various disciplines are always divided into "departments."

I believe this is invariable: one doesn't apply to "colleges" within a university. One applies only to the greater college/university, picks out one's own curriculum, and then takes courses within the affiliated "college."

One does, however, apply separately to postgraduate (usually known as graduate) programs separately from applying to the greater university.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 09 Dec 2022, 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 6:07 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

LOL! I also live in the state of Victoria

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 6:12 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Departments also exist in colleges in the US, I should point out. Pace University, for example, has an "English Department."

In middle school, junior high school, and high school, various disciplines are always divided into "departments."

I believe this is invariable: one doesn't apply to "colleges" within a university. One applies only to the greater college/university, picks out one's own curriculum, and then takes course within the affiliated "college."

One does, however, apply separately to postgraduate (usually known as graduate) programs separately from applying to the greater university.

Yeah I notice it tends to be older institutions that use departments.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 6:26 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I believe this is invariable: one doesn't apply to "colleges" within a university. One applies only to the greater college/university, picks out one's own curriculum, and then takes courses within the affiliated "college.

That's not true here.
Applicants apply to a specific college within a university.
Each college has different admission requirements despite being the same uni.
For example at UT, Vic and St Mike's are much more demanding than somewhere like Innis.
You could apply to more than one of the colleges but you'd have to rank them by preference.
You would also have to do separate personal statement essays and pay application fees to each.
You can't just apply to "UT" as a whole.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 6:34 pm

cyberdad wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

LOL! I also live in the state of Victoria

My whole world is Victorian. :heart:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 6:44 pm

I did some research:

One always applies to the university/college as a whole

But, in many cases:

If a "college" within the greater university is one which is an "impacted major" (meaning that it is in a high demand and has high standards), one has to subsequently apply to that "college" after being admitted to the greater university. Very often, nursing programs are like this.

There are times when one applies to the nursing program--and, when accepted into the nursing program, is accepted into the greater university itself.

Most of the time, though, one doesn't have to apply to specific "colleges" once admitted to the greater college/university. One just picks the major, and attends classes at that "college," in addition to required and elective courses within other "colleges."

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 09 Dec 2022, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.