Suspected Chinese spy balloon spotted over U.S. skies

Page 3 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 4:08 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Its over St. Louis now.

A second one was sighted "over Latin America".

Also the Canadians mentioned something about a second incident. So much for the accident theory.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 8:51 am

I just listened to some ~10min Canadian news clip and some guy with a French-Canadian accent says he believes China's official statement that it was some kind of weather balloon and they regret not informing Canada/the USA that it floated off and would end up over our airspace. He figures it's a big shiny balloon visible from the ground, so probably not a secret spy device.

I dunno about that.. if it were an innocent weather balloon they could have told us about it, or they could have used some sort of self destruct feature to prevent it from getting to Alaska and beyond. (according to the french talking guy.) So, hmmm, I wonder why he believes China when they clearly didn't say anything ? Maybe they hoped no one would notice and they wouldn't be embarrassed for letting go of their balloon ? :?

Even if it IS a weather balloon, some people are going to lose their jobs or more in China over this.. as they've pissed off the USA when they need it least. Some American politician was going to make a trip to China soon, but that's been cancelled. And China's economy/finances are a house of cards so another big problem is the last thing old man xi needs.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 11:34 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Some American politician was going to make a trip to China soon, but that's been cancelled.

That would be Secretary of State Anthony Blinkin.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 12:38 pm

From a fb post:

"Costa Rica social media has been abuzz with posts and photos of a large white balloon seen flying over the country. The reports started coming in yesterday. The Tico Times was contacted by a witness that reported seeing the highflying object of unknown origin while with his neighbors in the Pacific Coast town of Paquita. The witness was able to take a photo of the object. Costa Rica aviation officials have confirmed the reports...The United States is currently tracking a large Chinese balloon that has been crossing over the country...Tonight, Pentagon officials announced that they are tracking a second similar balloon crossing over Latin America but would not confirm where it is currently or where it has passed over." https://ticotimes.net/2023/02/03/chines ... costa-rica

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 2:32 pm

Two hundred and 99 more are on the way!

https://youtu.be/hiwgOWo7mDc

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 3:52 pm

THEY SHOT IT DOWN!! !!

It kept drifting eastward, and southward from St. Lo., passed over Asheville North Carolina, passed over Myrtle Beach South Carolina, and out over the Atlantic, where air force jets shot it down! They choose to wait until it was over water so as to not injure anyone when it crashed.

I hope they recover the wreckage, to check it out.

https://youtu.be/VNVhLhq3CEQ

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 4:37 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
THEY SHOT IT DOWN!! ! !

It kept drifting eastward, and southward from St. Lo., passed over Asheville North Carolina, passed over Myrtle Beach South Carolina, and out over the Atlantic, where air force jets shot it down! They choose to wait until it was over water so as to not injure anyone when it crashed.

I hope they recover the wreckage, to check it out.

https://youtu.be/VNVhLhq3CEQ

It took them long enough. :roll:
If it wasn't for Trump, it would still be up there. <joke> :mrgreen:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 6:18 pm

Maybe there was 100....now there's 99 luft balloons....

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 9:37 pm

Looks like Brandon found which drawer he put his balls in.

https://www.aol.com/news/chinese-spy-balloon-flying-above-194602956.html

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2023, 11:41 pm

cyberdad wrote:
stratozyck wrote:
I suggest we ban products from China. It will hurt our economy initially but 5 years from now it won't be remembered and China will lose access to our markets. It will hurt them more than us..

Nope...The Chinese navy entered Australian waters and fired lasers at our ships. Technically an act of war, What happended? nothing...

Both the US and Australia rely heavily on Chinese trade. Just take one example.
If the US banned tik tok, it would have an extreme negative psychological impact on US teens.
Teenagers spend on average 2hrs per day on Tik tok. 40% of US teens spend what would be considered excessive amounts of time on the platform. For many they get their news and feed about the outside world from the platform.

It's not like Russia where the pain is felt over price of gas and petroleum. A ban on China would hurt significantly.

So your biggest argument is... keeping TikTok?

Nah we could be fine. Things are assembled in China not really made. Even then a lot of stuff has left China recently.

It would be a small bump in our GDP but supply chains would shift away from China and towards Vietnam and other SE Asian countries. They don't have oil and the one export they do have that matters - fertilizer - they heavily restrict the export of.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2023, 11:45 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
American teens will just go to Utube.Thats a joke of an issue.

But American soybean farmers would ... storm Capitol Hill, guillotine Biden, and chop off the heads of every member of Congress, Democrat, GOP, MAGA, and anti Maga because shutting down trade with China would eliminate their livelihood!

I'm sure Biden's chances of 2024 would be unchanged without the vote of Kansas, Iowa, etc. I think with the balloon overhead the net public onion would be for it and not against.

Also, remember that would increase their food prices and cause domestic issues. Farmers have gotten enough public subsidy that I could care less. You could give them 2 years to switch crops.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 12:42 am

Xi wonders why we shot his yard sale balloon down.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 1:05 am

Misslizard wrote:
Xi wonders why we shot his yard sale balloon down.

It's kinda funny because they first said it wasn't theirs....and now they are pissed :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 1:08 am

stratozyck wrote:
It would be a small bump in our GDP but supply chains would shift away from China and towards Vietnam and other SE Asian countries. They don't have oil and the one export they do have that matters - fertilizer - they heavily restrict the export of.

China has it's claws throughout the Asian region. Vietnam will be like that awkward kid making circles with his feet, "sorry mister", "Dad told me I can't play with you anymore".

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 1:40 am

There’s a super funny Chinese balloon meme making the rounds on Facebook and messenger, but I think it would be against the rules to post here due to stereotypes etc.

This one is also a bit of a stereotype, but a bit less offensive:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran