Children wandering streets of Alice Springs late at night

Page 4 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 5:20 am

cyberdad wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:
The white people and the black people moving among each other but not interacting with each other, almost like they couldn't see the other. Complete absence of integration..

You have just described every white majority country

Missed this response at the time but I feel it's important to say that no, this doesn't describe every white majority country. If you think so you should travel more.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 5:29 am

white people and the black people moving among each other but not interacting with each other

So...you see this in every white majority country. People mostly make friends/acquaintances with people who look like them and whom they grew up with.

Yes I have been to the US. I have seen this there too.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Feb 2023, 5:31 am

Apparently, in your imagination, Australia and USA exhaust the list of white-majority countries in the world...

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 5:39 am

DuckHairback wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:
The white people and the black people moving among each other but not interacting with each other, almost like they couldn't see the other. Complete absence of integration..

You have just described every white majority country

Missed this response at the time but I feel it's important to say that no, this doesn't describe every white majority country. If you think so you should travel more.

Australia is said to be one of the most successful multicultural countries in the world.
However, you will always find tribalists/racists in any community.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 5:41 am

magz wrote:
Apparently, in your imagination, Australia and USA exhaust the list of white-majority countries in the world...

OUCH! 8O

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 5:43 am

Pepe wrote:
Australia is said to be one of the most successful multicultural countries in the world.

I wonder how they measure this stuff. Here, Australia is thought to be among the most racist white countries, White Australians are seen as perhaps only second to White South Africans in their overt racism. Naturally the British left see Britain as the most successful in a multicultural sense. Personally I suspect there are no success stories, just different degrees of Weimar.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 6:15 am

Mikah wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I wonder how they measure this stuff. Here, Australia is thought to be among the most racist white countries, White Australians are seen as perhaps only second to White South Africans in their overt racism. Naturally the British left see Britain as the most successful in a multicultural sense. Personally I suspect there are no success stories, just different degrees of Weimar.

Yes, there are racists everywhere. My perception of Alice Springs was that it had a very different vibe, even to the areas outside of Australian urban centres where overt racism that I found jarring to hear was commonplace. It's not something I've noticed elsewhere. Australia gets its reputation for multicultural excellence from its cities and it was noticeable to me in Sydney and Melbourne, Brisbane not so much, but of course there's always stuff going on under the surface that it's hard for travellers to pick up on.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 6:54 am

cyberdad wrote:
white people and the black people moving among each other but not interacting with each other

So...you see this in every white majority country. People mostly make friends/acquaintances with people who look like them and whom they grew up with.

Yes I have been to the US. I have seen this there too.

My state is 50% white and my county is 55% white. It's nothing like what you describe. The County Executive and Governor are both black. The team I work with (a government IT project) is probably about 50% black although I can't give you numbers. We work together very effectively.

From the OP I get the impression that Sky News is strongly suggesting that what's needed are residential schools. Is this what most Australians believe?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 7:27 am

MaxE wrote:
From the OP I get the impression that Sky News is strongly suggesting that what's needed are residential schools. Is this what most Australians believe?

The problem for native people is more systemic. it is rooted in genocide and complete destruction of tribal culture. The alcoholism is linked to intergenerational trauma and poverty due to discrimination both socially and economically.For example many of the children of remote tribes were put to work as stockmen or as maids in the 20th century. They were not paid of their work so it was a form of indenture. In the modern era long term unemployment is a serious trigger for alcohol and drug use.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 7:30 am

magz wrote:

Are you suggesting in Poland that your people welcome African refugees and sing kumbayah with them in the streets?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 7:32 am

Mikah wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Simply my perception:
Compared to Ameriia, there is little racism.
There seems to be a lot "Black Privilege" that is supported by the fact that we seem to have many ppl falsely claiming to have aboriginal ancestry.
Quote:
Aboriginal Australians slam explosion in number of people falsely claiming to be indigenous to steal scholarships and job opportunities

The number of Australians who identify themselves as indigenous has exploded
'Box tickers' can be motivated by receiving scholarships and monetary benefits
The increase in recent decades cannot be explained solely by higher birth rates
The phenomenon is claimed to be prevalent in academia and the public service

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ebate.html

The Aboriginal political representation is overweight compared to the percentage of the population.

I personally think your perception of Australia is incorrect.
Keep in mind, I don't really have skin in the game since I am from immigration stock myself.
In addition to this, I am more interested in The Truth than some patriotic fervour.
Just ask Fnord. ;)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Feb 2023, 7:42 am

cyberdad wrote:
magz wrote:
Are you suggesting in Poland that your people welcome African refugees and sing kumbayah with them in the streets?
No. In Poland, people walk the street without interacting with each other unless they need some help or meet someone they personally know, locals and immigrants alike. No segregation. Dark-skinned children raised in Polish families are considered "local".

I've seen quite a bit of Europe and nowhere it looked like the description of Alice Springs.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 7:49 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Mikah wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Yes, there are racists everywhere.

Of course, there is racism all over the world.
This is human tribalism.

DuckHairback wrote:
My perception of Alice Springs was that it had a very different vibe, even to the areas outside of Australian urban centres where overt racism that I found jarring to hear was commonplace.

Well, places such are Alice Springs have major social unrest with Aboriginal crime over-represented in places like that.
Simply look at the news in Australia that has been on lately.
Ppl are distraught at the violence, including Aboriginal women who bear the brunt of domestic violence.
If this qualifies as "racism", so be it. <shrug>
Denying The Truth will not improve the situation.

DuckHairback wrote:
It's not something I've noticed elsewhere. Australia gets its reputation for multicultural excellence from its cities and it was noticeable to me in Sydney and Melbourne, Brisbane not so much, but of course there's always stuff going on under the surface that it's hard for travellers to pick up on.

I have lived in Sydney all my life and haven't seen a high degree of racism myself.
Back in my days at skool, "racism" focused on immigrant "wogs" but this is no longer in existence since there are so many ppl of immigrant backgrounds these days.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 8:18 am

cyberdad wrote:
MaxE wrote:

The problem for native people is more systemic. it is rooted in genocide

If you are referring to "the stolen children" being integrated in "white society", I think your comment is misleading to a great degree.
Many aboriginal children were removed from dysfunctional families.

I don't know much about the "Aboriginal Wars".
Perhaps you can provide some links on the subject.

cyberdad wrote:
and complete destruction of tribal culture.

If you are referring to the fictional account of that fake aboriginal, Bruce Pasco, I think you need to think again.

cyberdad wrote:
The alcoholism is linked to intergenerational trauma and poverty due to discrimination both socially and economically.For example many of the children of remote tribes were put to work as stockmen or as maids in the 20th century. They were not paid of their work so it was a form of indenture. In the modern era long term unemployment is a serious trigger for alcohol and drug use.

Yes, there is a need to differentiate outback aboriginal communities from those closer to the larger cities.
The situation isn't that simple.

Intergenerational trauma is a factor, but addiction to alcohol in particular is a serious modern-day problem.
The amount of aboriginal social unrest was severely exacerbated by the recent rescinding of the ban on alcohol in the relevant jurisdictions.

And consider:
There are "whites" who are also affected by alcoholism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 8:38 am

I live in NYC.

Most of my neighbors are NOT white. We get along pretty well. The neighborhood is "majority minority." Indians, Hispanics, African-Americans, Caribbean-Americans. And some white people, too.

My immediate supervisor is Hispanic. My immediate supervisor at the job I retired from was black. In fact, the director of the whole department where I worked previously was black.

DON'T PAINT THE UNITED STATES WITH ONE BRUSH, PLEASE! I've had enough of people assuming that everybody in the US is a gun nut, racist type. I've never known anybody who has owned a gun, except one person back in 1979, who showed me his gun surreptitiously. There are portions of the United States where there is de facto segregation. But many places, these days, do not practice this.

Just like I'm sure others have had enough of others stereotyping their countries.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 8:54 am

Quote:
Property crime in Alice Springs at all-time high as DV offences in the town double in three years, report reveals

Sky News Australia Darwin Bureau Chief Matt Cunningham can reveal the report by the Central Australian Regional Controller shows the number of property offences in Alice Springs in the year ending November 2022 reached a new high of 8,222.
Matt Cunningham

February 7, 2023

Quote:
Property crime in Alice Springs is at an all-time high and domestic violence offences in the town have almost doubled in the past three years, according to a report by the Central Australian Regional Controller.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Chief Minister Natasha Fyles tasked Dorrelle Anderson with compiling a report on alcohol-related harm in Alice Springs after the Mr Albanese visited the town last month.

Her report shows the number of property offences in a 12-month period reached a new high of 8,222 offences in the 12 months ending November 2022.

“This represents an increase of 82 per cent compared with the 12 months ending November 2019 and accounted for 30 per cent of total NT property offences in the last 12 months,” she wrote.

Quote:
Alcohol-related domestic violence offences increased by 96.7 per cent over the same period.

“NT Police confirms that domestic violence call-outs is one of, if not, their biggest single job,” she wrote.

“Given the importance of getting to the victims as soon as possible, these jobs take top priority.

“Higher numbers of domestic violence offences – as recorded in Alice Springs – therefore, mean that less Police are immediately available to respond to other jobs, including property offences.”

Ms Anderson said she had compared 2022 data to 2019 as there had been a significant increase in alcohol-related harm since the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic.

In March 2021 a Sky News Australia investigation based on freedom-of-information documents revealed there had been a significant rise in alcohol-fuelled violence attributed to the former Coalition Government’s decision to double welfare payments and allow early access to superannuation during the pandemic.

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... erallPos=1