Children wandering streets of Alice Springs late at night

Page 5 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 8:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I live in NYC.

Most of my neighbors are NOT white. We get along pretty well. The neighborhood is "majority minority." Indians, Hispanics, African-Americans, Caribbean-Americans. And some white people, too.

My immediate supervisor is Hispanic. My immediate supervisor at the job I retired from was black. In fact, the director of the whole department where I worked previously was black.

DON'T PAINT THE UNITED STATES WITH ONE BRUSH, PLEASE! I've had enough of people assuming that everybody in the US is a gun nut, racist type. I've never known anybody who has owned a gun, except one person back in 1979, who showed me his gun surreptitiously. There are portions of the United States where there is de facto segregation. But many places, these days, do not practice this.

Just like I'm sure others have had enough of others stereotyping their countries.

I wish you would indicate to whom you are replying.
BTW, not sure why you are introducing guns into this thread.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 9:03 am

I'm talking about the folks who have this assumption about folks in the United States.

That we are a nation which is stuck in the segregated past. Obviously, there are still disparities based on race (and class)....but it's a hell of a lot more complicated than that. Sometimes, it's the fault of the "system"; other times, it's the fault of those who are "oppressed."

I'm also talking about stereotypes about Americans---that we are a "gun" culture, automatically. I don't believe all white Australians are bogans, for example. It depends on the individual Australian. I feel what's happening in Alice Springs is a complicated sociological problem. There's blame to go around on all sides.

Like the Duckhair guy said.....people should travel more! I used to think the UK was a nation where the sky was always foggy and filled with soot----until I actually travelled there.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 9:08 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I used to think the UK was a nation where the sky was always foggy and filled with soot----until I actually travelled there.

The good old days.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 11:56 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm talking about the folks who have this assumption about folks in the United States.

That we are a nation which is stuck in the segregated past. Obviously, there are still disparities based on race (and class)....but it's a hell of a lot more complicated than that. Sometimes, it's the fault of the "system"; other times, it's the fault of those who are "oppressed."

I'm also talking about stereotypes about Americans---that we are a "gun" culture, automatically. I don't believe all white Australians are bogans, for example. It depends on the individual Australian. I feel what's happening in Alice Springs is a complicated sociological problem. There's blame to go around on all sides.

Like the Duckhair guy said.....people should travel more! I used to think the UK was a nation where the sky was always foggy and filled with soot----until I actually travelled there.

Good post. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2023, 12:47 am

Quote:
Alice Springs businessman Darren Clarke demands Northern Territory Chief Minister Natasha Fyles apologise to 'neglected' children and 'brutal victims' of abuse

A local Alice Springs businessman has demanded NT Chief Minister Natasha Fyles apologise to the women and children of his town who have been “brutal victims” of domestic violence and neglect in an emotional plea on Sky News Australia.
Tyrone Clarke

February 9, 2023

Quote:
Prominent Alice Springs businessman Darren Clarke has unleashed on the Fyles Northern Territory Government over its lacklustre response to the ongoing crime and alcohol crisis in his town.

Chief Minister Natasha Fyles along with her entire Labor caucus are visiting Alice Springs on Thursday following the government’s decision to impose a blanket alcohol ban in central Australian communities.

Quote:
“So Natasha Fyles, the first thing she needs to do today is stand in front of the people of Alice Springs… she needs to apologise to the people of Alice Springs that have been victims of crime, victims of assault for now over four-and-a-half years,” Mr Clarke told Sky News Australia’s Laura Jayes on Thursday.

“Then she has to apologise to the women that have been brutal brutal victims of domestic violence.

“And then she has to apologise to the little children that have been neglected and not thought of in this whole process.”

Crime figures have soared in the past 12 months since the Stronger Futures laws which banned alcohol in town camps lapsed.

Property damage has increased by 60 per cent, commercial break-ins by 56 per cent, alcohol related assault by 55 per cent, domestic violence by 54 per cent, assault by 43 per cent and car theft by 42 per cent.

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... erallPos=1

"Politics before Compassion."
What an "Interesting" concept. :chin:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 9:35 pm

Quote:
Read the full, scathing smackdown of the 'arrogant' ABC boss over biased reporting in Alice Springs – and his failure to apologise for Ku Klux Klan shocker

Quote:
The boss of the ABC has been accused of arrogance by a Liberal Senator in a scathing complaint letter about the national broadcaster's horribly 'biased' news reporting in Alice Springs.

He has also been slammed over his failure to apologise for a segment on ABC's The Drum that compared a crisis meeting in the troubled outback town to a gathering of the Ku Klux Klan.

In the two-page letter obtained by Daily Mail Australia, Senator Sarah Henderson slams managing director David Anderson for trying to defend the ABC's lopsided coverage before reluctantly offering an apology 'late in the day'.

'The ABC's first response was irresponsible, deeply flawed, arrogant and reflected very poorly on you as editor in chief,' the Senator and ex-ABC journalist wrote.

'It showed the ABC either did not understand or was not prepared to acknowledge its obligation to all Australians to report the news accurately and impartially.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -Klan.html

Our glorious unbiased ABC. :roll: :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 1:37 am

Quote:
'Starting to build up again': Alice Springs business owner Darren Clark says town facing an uptick in youth crime

An Alice Springs business owner has predicted the town will be back in “absolute crisis mode” in a matter of weeks as youth crime continues to run rampant.
Joseph Huitson

February 20, 2023

Quote:
Following new alcohol bans across the region, Mr Clark said a lot of the town’s “problem drinkers” have moved on to other areas in the Northern Territory and South Australia.

The bans passed last week after a snap review of liquor laws which were ordered by Prime Minister Anthony Albanese in the wake of the increased violence and anti-social behaviour.

Quote:
Despite this Mr Clark said youth crime was becoming more frequent back in Alice Springs, noting his bakery has been now broken into more than 40 times.

“It’s just reigniting again. I was talking to the police yesterday morning… more and more car thefts now in Alice,” he told Sky News Australia.

“They broke into a supermarket last week three times. We are not stopping anything at the moment, we have transferred the alcohol problem to other towns.

“That will eventually come back here and land on our lap.”

Mr Clark also said the service vans, which were present when media and politicians toured the town, were no longer patrolling the streets.

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... erallPos=5