Idaho hospital to stop labor and delivery services

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 8:29 pm

Idaho hospital to stop labor and delivery services citing "political climate" and doctor shortages

Quote:
n Idaho hospital will stop labor and delivery services, citing doctor shortages and the "political climate," the hospital announced Friday.

"Highly respected, talented physicians are leaving. Recruiting replacements will be extraordinarily difficult," Bonner General Health, located in the city of Sandpoint, said in a news release.

Pregnant women who utilized Bonner General, a 25-bed hospital, will now have to drive to hospitals or birthing centers in Coeur d'Alene or Spokane to give birth.

In 2022, doctors delivered 265 babies at Bonner General and admitted less than 10 pediatric patients, the hospital said.

In the wake of the Supreme Court ruling overturning Roe v. Wade, abortion bans have added another challenge to rural hospitals that have struggled to keep their doors open and their facilities fully staffed and running.

Nationwide, hospitals have been sounding the alarm that states with strict abortion laws risk losing staff or doctors to other regions. According to the Associated Press, in Indiana, one of the first states to restrict abortion following the Supreme Court's decision, the Indiana Hospital Association said the state is "creating an atmosphere that will be perceived as antagonistic to physicians."

Idaho has one of the most restrictive abortion bans in the country. According to the Associated Press, in a court brief filed in August 2022 in support of a Justice Department lawsuit against the Idaho abortion ban, medical groups argued that Idaho physicians are forced to choose whether to break state or federal law.

In a report last September, Pew found that Idaho was one of six states in which authorities can prosecute health care providers for performing abortions

Often residents in rural areas are left to drive hundreds of miles to access healthcare. In 2019, Pew Research published a study showing that rural Americans live an average of 10.5 miles from the nearest hospital, compared with 5.6 miles for people in suburban areas, and 4.4 miles for those in urban areas.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 5:46 am

This is tragic for health care, especially in rural areas. There could be a return of midwives to rural areas for birthing, but the general doctor flight will affect all health care for anyone without significant financial means.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 6:21 am

call it the tip of the spear for the new feudalism.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 3:28 pm

Utah on crack

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 12:29 am

I've been to Sandpoint, before.. it was either in 1991 Or earlier. Shouldn't be too surprising that place is full of ignorance.. I remember other kids there asking us if we had power (electricity) in Canada.. and if we lived in igloos or rode on dogsleds - and they weren't joking.

As for Doctors migrating away from states that can prosecute them for providing healthcare services.. good - I hope more of them leave in solidarity with those that face prosecution. Mass exodus of Medical Doctors from backwards states. If they want to live like it's the 1400's, then let them.. complete with lack of access to modern medicine.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 12:33 am

we have a critical mass of 'muuuricans who have lost their collective minds.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 1:11 am

auntblabby wrote:
we have a critical mass of 'muuuricans who have lost their collective minds.

I was just having this exact conversation with my mother.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 1:27 am

goldfish21 wrote:
I've been to Sandpoint, before.. it was either in 1991 Or earlier. Shouldn't be too surprising that place is full of ignorance.. I remember other kids there asking us if we had power (electricity) in Canada.. and if we lived in igloos or rode on dogsleds - and they weren't joking.

As for Doctors migrating away from states that can prosecute them for providing healthcare services.. good - I hope more of them leave in solidarity with those that face prosecution. Mass exodus of Medical Doctors from backwards states. If they want to live like it's the 1400's, then let them.. complete with lack of access to modern medicine.

Sandpoint is the birthplace of Sarah Palin, and also not far from Hayden Lake, headquarters of the Aryan Nations.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 10:20 am

goldfish21 wrote:

The problem with that tempting solution is that even in the most MAGA states you have plenty of people in those states that are not MAGAs but still will receive 1400s style medical care. And leaving is not always a realistic option.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 12:42 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

The problem with that tempting solution is that even in the most MAGA states you have plenty of people in those states that are not MAGAs but still will receive 1400s style medical care. And leaving is not always a realistic option.

Maybe sane people will follow suit and leave, too?

I think enough Doctors will leave to make a significant impact, more than the ones who have already left. Nearly half of Doctors are in it for the money and nearly the other half are in it to make their parents proud.. both types would potentially relocate to avoid prosecution that led to a disruption of their income or brought shame upon their family.

But not all will leave. If states like this keep their laws like that and don't revert them to some sort of normalcy with assurances that they won't switch back to the 1400's again, then there will be ever fewer Doctors there because older ones will retire and new ones won't move there Unless they offer significantly higher pay, then maybe. Doubtful they'll be able to attract the talent required to open up their own medical schools and then fill them with qualified students, either.

I really don't think those in power in these backwards areas of the USA really thought through all of the repercussions of their actions. They're going to learn pretty quickly, though.

Who knows, maybe enough sane people will vote these rocks for brains types out of office and things will return to this Millennium sooner rather than later. Maybe enough republican voters will realize how stupid this is and be a part of voting them out, too. Maybe. Or maybe more people will die preventable deaths because "it's God's will." :roll:

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 8:50 am

More evidence that this anti-abortion nonsense harms women's health. Not just women seeking abortion but women in general have their health harmed by these hateful and power hungry anti-abortionists.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 8:04 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Sandpoint is the birthplace of Sarah Palin, and also not far from Hayden Lake, headquarters of the Aryan Nations.

It's not all that far from where I live, here in Washington!

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 2:26 pm

blazingstar wrote:
This is tragic for health care, especially in rural areas. There could be a return of midwives to rural areas for birthing, but the general doctor flight will affect all health care for anyone without significant financial means.

Unfortunately, midwives and lay-people would be at even greater risk of prosecution than a doctor under Idaho law. So it won't be very a very attractive process. The US already has one of the highest rated infant mortality levels. The lack of safe medical care will only make it worse.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 10:51 am

Get the Feds to step in. Designate the Mormon church as a terrorist organization, and jail its members, and watch how Idaho (and Utah for that matter) progresses.