Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 3:28 am

Well French citizens are willing to destroy their country over raising the minimum working age to be eligible for pensions
https://news.yahoo.com/france-edge-civi ... 06780.html

What is remarkable is how calm and civilised the French people are admist the carnage

Perhaps the Jan 6 rioters could have stopped to coffee and croissant while burning the Capitol Building?
We can certainly learn refinement from our French cousins.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 4:20 am

Poor little "preciouses".
I will never be on a pension, so it is moot for me, but I would have to be 67 to get one here over in Australia.

The social system over there can't keep up with the costs, with fewer workers and more pensioners proportion-wise every year, and they act like spoilt brats. :roll: .

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 4:27 am

cyberdad wrote:

Perhaps the Jan 6 rioters could have stopped to coffee and croissant while burning the Capitol Building?

Or the BLM rioters. 8)

The Capitol Hill building wasn't set on fire to my knowledge, but an entire city block was during the George Floyd incident.
Poor example.

BTW, Is this Dr Jekyll or Mr Hyde I am talking to, atm? :scratch: :mrgreen:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 4:36 am

Reminds me of Nero playing the fiddle while Rome burned

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 4:48 am

The late great Richard Belzer on the French lifestyle:

https://youtu.be/xFEjHpZ-WOs

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 1:04 pm

The French are definitely world renowned for their protests. On the one hand, it's good to protest for something that's been promised to you your whole life.. but on the other (without reading ANY info about it) wtf are they protesting math for? Either there's enough $ to pay their pensions as promised OR there isn't and things have to change.

Same same happens with private pensions - under my father's original union agreement he would have been retired 19 years ago with full pension.. but the fund lost tons of money in a Chicago area real estate crash where they were heavily invested in office buildings, resulting in him having to work an extra 15 years or so to receive a dramatically reduce pension. Others who were already drawing their pensions had their payments reduced.

Same same for public pensions like the ones in California cities that have gone bankrupt under the weight of police/fire service pensions that they cannot afford to pay.. city goes bankrupt, pension goes bye bye, city restructures and renegotiates something more sustainable.

Still some kinda BS for any organization, public or private, to promise a workforce a particular pension plan that they work their entire working life towards and then pull the rug out from beneath them because some as*hole didn't bother to do some forecasting math and see to it that their plan was executable. It's understandable that these people are pissed and that my father was stressed to the point of being physically ill.

Lessons learned: Do not rely on pension income whatsoever. Consider any penny paid to you by any pension source as a bonus. Save and invest enough money to be self sufficient and/or plan on staying healthy and working until the day you die.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 1:06 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Well French citizens are willing to destroy their country over raising the minimum working age to be eligible for pensions
https://news.yahoo.com/france-edge-civi ... 06780.html

What is remarkable is how calm and civilised the French people are admist the carnage

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 3:45 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

One benefit of people watching in front of a raging fire i(apart from making things warm and cosy) is Fido's "caffe latte" would certainly be warm