Mass shooting at Nashville Christian elementary school

Page 4 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 1:16 pm

Nashville police chief: No indication shooter had problems at Covenant School

Quote:
Police in Nashville said they have yet to uncover any specific problems that a shooter that killed six people at a Christian school in the city, including three nine year olds, had with the private school that was targeted.

“As of right now, we don’t have any indication there was any problems at the school or at home,” Metro Nashville Police Chief John Drake told CNN on Wednesday. “We can’t confirm any type of problems at this time.”

Police have yet to pin down a motive for Audrey Hale, the 28-year-old shooter who killed three children and three adults in a shooting at The Covenant School on Monday.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 11:03 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Oh gosh if this shooter was trans it'll give the anti trans movement a huge boost, won't it. OMG no.

Can you imagine. 'Don't allow trans people to own guns. Don't allow them to have the same rights as other Americans.' :x

How many autistic ppl have been implicated in mass shootings?
Just saying.

I think it is more pertinent to point out that "Mental Illness" is mostly the cause of mass shootings.

Oh yes, totally.. if you mean people are naming their guns "Mental Illness," then I completely agree. In those cases, 100%, "Mental Illness," is mostly the cause of mass shootings. (Because it's the guns. Everywhere has mental illness, ~only the USA has more guns than people.)

You may not like it, but mental illness IS the cause of most of these mass shootings.
If there were no guns, there would be no mass shootings, agreed.
But it is also correct to say: If there were no mental illnesses, there would be virtually no mass shootings.

Also, consider:
There was a mass murder in Britain, not that long ago.
The murderers used a vehicle and knives on their rampage.
There was that POC who ran down multiple ppl at a Christmas Parade in the USA recently.
We also had a car ramming murder spree here in Australia.
All but one of these events involved deranged individuals.

There is more to consider.
Perhaps later.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 2:43 am

DanielW wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
Looks like the latest mass shooter is autistic again. How long before we get stereotyped

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... order.html

The shooter was only described as "autistic" (and then it seems only by the media ). This has already been debunked by family members.

The shooter was DIAGNOSED autistic as stated in multiple news articles.

- George Bernie Shaw

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 9:15 am

Were any of the victims autistic, including kids or staff who were traumatised but survived?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 12:48 pm

Pepe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Oh gosh if this shooter was trans it'll give the anti trans movement a huge boost, won't it. OMG no.

Can you imagine. 'Don't allow trans people to own guns. Don't allow them to have the same rights as other Americans.' :x

Just saying.

I think it is more pertinent to point out that "Mental Illness" is mostly the cause of mass shootings.

Oh yes, totally.. if you mean people are naming their guns "Mental Illness," then I completely agree. In those cases, 100%, "Mental Illness," is mostly the cause of mass shootings. (Because it's the guns. Everywhere has mental illness, ~only the USA has more guns than people.)

You may not like it, but mental illness IS the cause of most of these mass shootings.
But it is also correct to say: If there were no mental illnesses, there would be virtually no mass shootings.

Also, consider:
There was that POC who ran down multiple ppl at a Christmas Parade in the USA recently.

Perhaps later.

Let's Not Spread Falsehoods Without Evidence.

Let's Make This Simple; Short Lines And Quotes
From an Expert; Not Just an Opinion Online That is NOT Educated.

It took all of Two Seconds to Find the Research. Google is our Friend.

Quote:
Why does the public erroneously link mental illness with mass shootings and with violence in general?

A lot of people who aren’t experts in mental illness tend to equate bad behavior, and often immorality, with mental illness. These are a false equivalence. I think it's incumbent on us, especially when we're talking about something as horrible as mass shootings, to make sure other people understand that all bad behavior, and certainly not evil and pure psychopathy, is not the same as mental illness.

Quote:
"What is the Columbia Mass Murder Database?

The Columbia database, compiled by researchers at the New York State Psychiatric Institute(link is external and opens in a new window) and the Columbia University Irving Medical Center(link is external and opens in a new window), is the largest catalog of mass shootings and mass murder in the world. We have approximately 1,800 entries, including any mass shooting or murder reported between 1900 and 2019 worldwide that resulted in at least three deaths (not including the perpetrator).

The major findings from our database are that the vast majority of mass shootings and mass murder are committed by people without mental illness, and certainly not psychotic illness, and when a person with severe mental illness commits a mass murder, they’re much less likely to use firearms than other methods, such as arson or knives."

Quote:
What tends to be the motivations behind mass shootings?

First, understand that mental illness as the primary cause of any mass murder, especially mass shooting, is uncommon. Half of all mass shootings are associated with no red flags—no diagnosed mental illness, no substance use, no history of criminality, nothing. They’re generally committed by middle-aged men who are responding to a severe and acute stressor, so they're not planned, which makes them very difficult to prevent. So, we must look much further upstream.

This is why it is important to consider ways to manage gun availability, for example. The yearly prevalence of the incidence of mass murder was stable at about 7 per billion people, or seven mass shootings for every billion people, between 1900 and about 1970. Then between about 1970 and 2019, the incidence increased by four times, so now mass shootings occur about 28 times per billion people around the world. One might say that this is because of the availability of guns in general, and automatic weapons, in particular, especially in the U.S. where these weapons became more available to the general population during this time period. Mass murder committed with means other than firearms also grew, but at a slightly slower rate. The other thing that one must consider is that most mass shootings are committed with non-automatic weapons, making them the weapons of choice, and supporting the notion that gun availability is a primary contributor to method of mass murder.

Quote:
You have said that the media’s publishing personal details about the perpetrators encourages violent behavior and is harmful. Please explain.

If we’re talking about the mass shooters that we hear the most about, such as school shooters and other individuals who commit such public crimes, we have examined a number of these cases and are seeing a pattern. As opposed to most mass shooters, these perpetrators tend to be younger males who are often nihilistic, empty, angry, feel rejected by society, blame society for their rejection, and harbor a strong desire for notoriety. They want to make their mark on the world that will elevate them to the status they believe they are entitled to and deserve.

Sensationalized headlines, photographs, and breaking personal information about the shooters, victims, and acts themselves provide the notoriety perpetrators of mass shootings crave and can spark others to carry out similar acts. Refraining from publishing any personal information about mass shooters may be one of the easiest, quickest, and most effective interventions for decreasing mass shootings, especially school and other public shootings, which comprise about 10% of all mass shootings.

https://www.columbiapsychiatry.org/news/mass-shootings-and-mental-illness

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 6:12 pm

I saw the new John Wick movie at the theater today. As I was seeing Keanu Reaves murder 10 people a minute I was thinking “this movie could only be made in America”. I’m guessing that there isn’t ever any movies made overseas that has that much gun violence because, well, guns themselves are very scarce at most.

Even though it’s played a role into why mass shootings happen so frequently, guns are so embedded into American culture that I’m not sure it’s humanly possible to reverse that. So upsetting to think about.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 7:40 pm

I dislike the framing of mental illness as something that makes people violent. That only fuels stigma. "Mentally ill" is a broad category of things. Lots of people have depression and anxiety, up to 20% of the population or more, and these illnesses alone do not make someone violent.

That said, there's no denying that in some small amount of cases, mental illness does fuel violence. I've known mentally ill people personally who should not have guns. One was a young man who had grown up severely abused and has extreme anger issues as a result - he's been in jail a lot, even in just the span of time I knew him.
Another with anger issues, don't know his story. I do know that at one point he pulled a knife on a stranger out of anger. Got the police called on him.
Another was schizophrenic and would hallucinate scary people and things around him - he'd often fire his gun blindly. I'm actually surprised no incidents happened that resulted in his gun being taken away or something. (He passed recently, God rest his soul.)

(Most schizophrenics are not violent, in fact they are much more likely to be the victims of violence than the perpetrators of it.)

I admit that even my "pro-2A" self is beginning to rethink our handling of gun laws. That said..... as a sexual and gender minority and considering the state of people's attitude towards the LGBTQ+ in this country..... I want to have a means to protect myself from hate crimes.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Last edited by colliegrace on 30 Mar 2023, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 7:42 pm

colliegrace wrote:

(Most schizophrenics are not violent, in fact they are much more likely to be the victims of violence than the perpetrators of it.)

Agreed. Same with autistic people.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 8:35 pm

aghogday wrote:
Pepe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Just saying.

Also, consider:

Perhaps later.

Let's Not Spread Falsehoods Without Evidence.

Let's Make This Simple; Short Lines And Quotes
From an Expert; Not Just an Opinion Online That is NOT Educated.

It took all of Two Seconds to Find the Research. Google is our Friend.

Quote:
Why does the public erroneously link mental illness with mass shootings and with violence in general?

A lot of people who aren’t experts in mental illness tend to equate bad behavior, and often immorality, with mental illness. These are a false equivalence. I think it's incumbent on us, especially when we're talking about something as horrible as mass shootings, to make sure other people understand that all bad behavior, and certainly not evil and pure psychopathy, is not the same as mental illness.

Quote:
"What is the Columbia Mass Murder Database?

The Columbia database, compiled by researchers at the New York State Psychiatric Institute(link is external and opens in a new window) and the Columbia University Irving Medical Center(link is external and opens in a new window), is the largest catalog of mass shootings and mass murder in the world. We have approximately 1,800 entries, including any mass shooting or murder reported between 1900 and 2019 worldwide that resulted in at least three deaths (not including the perpetrator).

The major findings from our database are that the vast majority of mass shootings and mass murder are committed by people without mental illness, and certainly not psychotic illness, and when a person with severe mental illness commits a mass murder, they’re much less likely to use firearms than other methods, such as arson or knives."

Quote:
What tends to be the motivations behind mass shootings?

First, understand that mental illness as the primary cause of any mass murder, especially mass shooting, is uncommon. Half of all mass shootings are associated with no red flags—no diagnosed mental illness, no substance use, no history of criminality, nothing. They’re generally committed by middle-aged men who are responding to a severe and acute stressor, so they're not planned, which makes them very difficult to prevent. So, we must look much further upstream.

This is why it is important to consider ways to manage gun availability, for example. The yearly prevalence of the incidence of mass murder was stable at about 7 per billion people, or seven mass shootings for every billion people, between 1900 and about 1970. Then between about 1970 and 2019, the incidence increased by four times, so now mass shootings occur about 28 times per billion people around the world. One might say that this is because of the availability of guns in general, and automatic weapons, in particular, especially in the U.S. where these weapons became more available to the general population during this time period. Mass murder committed with means other than firearms also grew, but at a slightly slower rate. The other thing that one must consider is that most mass shootings are committed with non-automatic weapons, making them the weapons of choice, and supporting the notion that gun availability is a primary contributor to method of mass murder.

Quote:
You have said that the media’s publishing personal details about the perpetrators encourages violent behavior and is harmful. Please explain.

If we’re talking about the mass shooters that we hear the most about, such as school shooters and other individuals who commit such public crimes, we have examined a number of these cases and are seeing a pattern. As opposed to most mass shooters, these perpetrators tend to be younger males who are often nihilistic, empty, angry, feel rejected by society, blame society for their rejection, and harbor a strong desire for notoriety. They want to make their mark on the world that will elevate them to the status they believe they are entitled to and deserve.

Sensationalized headlines, photographs, and breaking personal information about the shooters, victims, and acts themselves provide the notoriety perpetrators of mass shootings crave and can spark others to carry out similar acts. Refraining from publishing any personal information about mass shooters may be one of the easiest, quickest, and most effective interventions for decreasing mass shootings, especially school and other public shootings, which comprise about 10% of all mass shootings.

https://www.columbiapsychiatry.org/news/mass-shootings-and-mental-illness

You don't know the full story. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 8:42 pm

colliegrace wrote:
I dislike the framing of mental illness as something that makes people violent. That only fuels stigma. "Mentally ill" is a broad category of things. Lots of people have depression and anxiety, up to 20% of the population or more, and these illnesses alone do not make someone violent.

Being driven into a mental state through bullying to want to murder as many ppl as possible, and "suicide by cop" does constitute a deranged/unbalanced mind in my book.
There have been discussions involving this in the past, here.

There are OTHER considerations that I choose not to talk about at this stage.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 11:12 pm

Pepe wrote:
colliegrace wrote:

Being driven into a mental state through bullying to want to murder as many ppl as possible, and "suicide by cop" does constitute a deranged/unbalanced mind in my book.

THE FACTS ARE:

THE MAJORITY OF MASS SHOOTINGS

ARE NOT RELATED TO MENTAL ILLNESS;

As the Evidence Has Been Presented; Don't You
Tell me i Don't Know the Full Story, When You've
Only Presented Your Opinion With ZERO EVIDENCE TO COLLABORATE IT.

OTHER than that i've Already Provided A Thread Here That Pursued the
Major Factors Leading to the Increase of Mass Shootings at the Link

Provided Below on this Website Back in 2012, Where Basically the Majority

of the OPINION OF Folks Polled on this Website Agreed That

It Was An Issue Related to Nihilistic Folks Not Feeling They
Have Any Social Role in Society Wanting to Make Some Kind

of Mark on
The Way Out

As the Research
By Actual Experts Shows

THAT Doesn't Require "Mental Illness..."

Just Evil Personified in the Actions of Those
'Butthurt' About Not Being Able to Make it in This World;

Playing the Victim and Blaming Innocent Folks For Their Failures in Life,

BY KILLING THEM; YES, HUMANS DO HAVE THE POTENTIAL FOR GREAT EVIL, obviously
As History Current And Past Still Shows; On the Other Hand, Great Works of LoVE iN Peace Exist too....

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=218916

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 11:47 pm

aghogday wrote:
Pepe wrote:
colliegrace wrote:

THE FACTS ARE:

of Mark on
The Way Out

As the Research
By Actual Experts Shows

As History Current And Past Still Shows; On the Other Hand, Great Works of LoVE iN Peace Exist too....

As I said, you don't know the full story, and I ain't telling. 8)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 12:10 am

Pepe wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Pepe wrote:
colliegrace wrote:

THE FACTS ARE:

of Mark on
The Way Out

As the Research
By Actual Experts Shows

As I said, you don't know the full story, and I ain't telling. 8)

Obviously, I've Reported Much More 'Of the Story,' Per FACTS, THAN YOU HAVE.

YOU ARE WELCOME TO Your OPINION; YOU May EVEN ASSERT THE SKY IS GREEN;

YET THAT DOESN'T

CHANGE THE COLOR

OF ASSESSED FACTS ONE IOTA.

Other than that YOU HAVE NO
CLUE HOW MUCH OF THE SO-CALLED

'STORY,' i Have Researched Painstakingly in Detail OVER DECADES...

Much More To Come, if You Are Able to Keep up With That Much.

Other than that for Folks Ignorant of the Facts, i've Provided The FACTS; Job Done Enough...

FOR
NOW..:)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 12:29 am

aghogday wrote:

Other than that for Folks Ignorant of the Facts, i've Provided The FACTS; Job Done Enough...

FOR
NOW..:)

Well, there is more to the story you don't seem to know.
What can I say? <shrug>

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 12:47 am

^^^

Oh Dear Lord
of Darkness Hehe,

You Are Sounding Like Trump Now...

Without Facts, All You Have is Opinion;

We All May Generate One of Those, HAha...

Put Your Facts

Up Or Keep

Going Nowhere...

That of Course is Up to You....

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 3:46 am

^The subject is tricky, hence my refusal to make a direct comment about it.
I am waiting for the passion in the thread to subside.
Ppl, meaning not just me, have been burnt while approaching the subject in the past.

Perhaps we should stop this "tit for tat"? :scratch: