STD fungal infection causes genitals to fall off in cicadas

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2024, 1:29 am

Cicadas in Chicago Will Become Infected with STD That Makes Them ‘Zombies’ and Causes Genitals to Fall Off

It's only a matter of time before humans become vulnerable to serious fungal infections. Perhaps abstinence is the way to go after all. (Or avoid Chicago.) :lol:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2024, 2:13 am

Poor, cicadas.

There is some type of them in colorado and at one of the last apartments me and my boyfriend lived in, we saw one emerge from the ground, and start climbing up a tree and then stopped to shed its underground shell or whatever to expose its wings and then kept climbing till it got high up in the tree to make it's obnoxious noise. But yeah it was kind of cool to see.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2024, 8:40 am

How is this even possible? The species hibernates underground for 17 years, and then comes out for a few days to mate. How do you start an STD epidemic with that?

And if this fungus does this to a harmless bug like cicades then.... shouldnt the science community be working on a way to maybe tweek the fungal DNA so it can do this to ...roaches, and bedbugs?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2024, 12:25 pm

\o/I\o/D O\o/N O T\o/W A N T\o/A N Y\o/I N F E C T I O N\o/L I K E\o/T H A T\o/!

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2024, 7:48 am

naturalplastic wrote:
How is this even possible? The species hibernates underground for 17 years, and then comes out for a few days to mate. How do you start an STD epidemic with that?

And if this fungus does this to a harmless bug like cicades then.... shouldnt the science community be working on a way to maybe tweek the fungal DNA so it can do this to ...roaches, and bedbugs?

Hmm, I might be able to do some adaptations with it. But, the question becomes: Do I use it for good or evil purposes? Decisions, decisions, decisions...

The good side: Eradication of certain pests.

The bad side: Use the contaminated pests to spend the fungus to other species, potentially to humans. Might need a co-virus to allow infection to progress. This could happen naturally upon the passage of enough time.

Either way, overpopulation of a species becomes a null point.

Sorry, just playing devil’s advocate on this situation. There is a reason why it should not be toyed with by certain humans. We will create our own doom.

But, maybe my Frankenstein AI project could take it on. :twisted: