Should NT students be allowed to take "smart drugs"

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Should NT students be allowed to take "smart drugs" ?
Yes 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
No 70%  70%  [ 16 ]
Maybe 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 23

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 8:33 am

What do you think ?

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/s ... 407152&c=1

I think that healthy NT students should not be allowed to take Ritalin or other "smart drugs"

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 8:52 am

why just NT students?

Gifted-Monster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jun 2009, 9:06 am

They have no need. We're just smarter by default but learn differently. So it equals out.

They however learn easier and have little to no problems transcribing that knowledge.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 9:14 am

Why shouldn't they be allowed to? As long as it's voluntary and they are above the age of majority, they should be allowed to do what they want with their bodies.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Gifted-Monster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jun 2009, 9:22 am

Ahhh...but where does it stop?

Are we therefore allowed to augment ourselves with means to heighten our capabilities not otherwise found naturally?

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 9:33 am

Yes, definitely!

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 9:37 am

Well, right now we`re allowed. Me and my boyfriend took smart drugs (though we weren`t in school).

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 9:52 am

Sure, why not?

Plenty of us on here take dumb-drugs to gain NT benefits. Alcohol is cheaper too.

Oggleleus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jun 2009, 9:59 am

Sure, why not. I tried... but could never get the bottle open. :lol:

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 10:35 am

Well, you see the way ritalin works, it creates a hormonal addiction to them ^.- . Ritalin's goal is to regulate the flow of neurotransmitters within the brain (either when there's too much, or not enough being sent past the synapse, but some of that is my own theory) in people that have a defective system, such as ADD people. (such as myself) Not to mention, i doubt the secondary effects would be quite enjoyable for them: lack of sleep, lack of hunger, etc.

Not against, but i wouldn't recommend it <.< Besides, doesn't that look like an "easy" way out when it comes to learning stuff?

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 12:00 pm

Jeez, from the article in the link, it sounds like it not only would backfire in the long run, but it would also cause them quite a bit of suffering!!

<-- Thinks a moment, wrings hands evilly

Yeah, I'm all for it! :twisted:
Just kiddin'

Mostly. Maybe a few bullies I knew, but... :)

NO, no, what am I saying?

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 12:03 pm

ViperaAspis wrote:
Jeez, from the article in the link, it sounds like it not only would backfire in the long run, but it would also cause them quite a bit of suffering!!

<-- Thinks a moment, wrings hands evilly

Yeah, I'm all for it! :twisted:
Just kiddin'

Mostly. Maybe a few bullies I knew, but... :)

NO, no, what am I saying?

Frist LOL at the end part but I think your right it would cause more trouble then anything. That and I'm afraid with the way some parents push their kids they would be sliping it in the kids kool -aid.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 2:53 pm

Now after bringing this article to your attention, I will give my penny’s worth.

I am university teacher who is also a research scientist, I fear that a class who are drugged up on "smart" drugs might be able to go without sleep for days and study non stop for hours but they are likely to become bland and insipid.

They will be likely to just be cramming for the exam and then they may well not be able to recall what they were taught years later or put it to any use.

Having taught a range of students I have come to the conclusion that it is wrong to try to mass produce the next generation of scientists in my own image. Even if I was to clone the best minds in my subject, I fear that I would be sleepwalking into the abyss by undermining my subject by causing intellectual stagnation.

Brilliant minds need to reach for the stars by having original thoughts.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 3:16 pm

What makes you think that people who improve themselves like this will lack original thought? It seems to me to be quite a nonsequitor.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 4:42 pm

Hard question. On the one hand, people should be allowed to do what they want with their mind and bodies; on the other, those who don't would be outcompeted by those who do.

Your only applying it to NTs? Does this mean you're thinking of drugs which allow Hyperfocusing, which Aspies have by default :)

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 4:47 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
Now after bringing this article to your attention, I will give my penny’s worth.

I am university teacher who is also a research scientist, I fear that a class who are drugged up on "smart" drugs might be able to go without sleep for days and study non stop for hours but they are likely to become bland and insipid.

They will be likely to just be cramming for the exam and then they may well not be able to recall what they were taught years later or put it to any use.

Having taught a range of students I have come to the conclusion that it is wrong to try to mass produce the next generation of scientists in my own image. Even if I was to clone the best minds in my subject, I fear that I would be sleepwalking into the abyss by undermining my subject by causing intellectual stagnation.

Brilliant minds need to reach for the stars by having original thoughts.

That reminds me of a girl (high school senior) I tutored a long time ago. She was only concerned about her GPA; had no interest in actually understanding the subject. 'Playing with concepts' seemed to her a pathetic waste of time.

Granted, there were college classes where passing was more important to me than the subject matter, but I think I can honestly say they all left me with at least a few ideas that I occasionally mull over 20 years later.

It seems like this use of 'smart drugs' rewards a lack of intellectual curiosity. That people would end up studying more because they're amped-up on drugs, and less because of any drive from curiosity or a desire to 'figure things out' -- essential qualities for researchers.