Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

zee
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 8:02 pm

^^^ exactly. Why make more babies when the world is already over-populated? And I don't see how they are going to be able to give each of these children the attention they need.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 8:12 pm

zee wrote:
^^^ exactly. Why make more babies when the world is already over-populated? And I don't see how they are going to be able to give each of these children the attention they need.

Yeah that's my biggest worry for having a family that large is how do they give each one of the kids their needed attention?

I'm not concerned so much about their religious/educational upbringing. It is a bit creepy the way they live in a sense because you hear so much horror stories about overly religious families with strict lifestyles and values...but if you guys actually see the Duggars TV programs on TLC, you'd be surprised at how very sane they seem to come out on camera. I'm very impressed that this family is able to live the kind of life they live and not care about what others think of them. Trust me, there are worst "weird families" out there.

And I like how the show explains how they are able to maintain some things that are impossible for a normal small family. They have ZERO debt which is astounding with that many kids and you do get to know certain individual kids through interviews so you get a little insight in how each one thinks. It's really not all that bad, people.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 8:14 pm

By comparison, I heard that the "Octo-Mom" has some sort of TV deal. I wonder how that'll end up...

zee
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 8:29 pm

I'm more curious as to whether she will have more kids.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 2:46 am

zee wrote:
Why make more babies when the world is already over-populated? And I don't see how they are going to be able to give each of these children the attention they need.

100 years ago Europeans were 25% of the world's population. Now it is 8% and getting less.

Is the world overpopulated? Yes.
But every advanced country including Russia and Japan have a declining population while the third world countries breed like rabbits.

I know! Let's make up for not having our own babies by allowing millions of third world people into our countries to replace us! Isn't that a great idea?

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 2:57 am

sartresue wrote:
Many families were large a century ago, but the one thing the Duggers have is their children were born in the 20th and 21st centuries.

I've known a boy in a summer camp when we were 10-11 years old.
He told me they were 19 of them in their family, 19 living and a few more who didn't live.

I was quite astonished 8O
In those days, where I lived, big families were the "norm". 4 to... let's say 7 children were quite usual.
But 19 8O

It was not due to religion nor anything, it was just a very poor family with not much education :|

But the fellow guy was quite intelligent and keen and everything and we had a lot of fun together in that summer camp.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 3:04 am

Wombat wrote:
zee wrote:
Why make more babies when the world is already over-populated? And I don't see how they are going to be able to give each of these children the attention they need.

100 years ago Europeans were 25% of the world's population. Now it is 8% and getting less.

Is the world overpopulated? Yes.
But every advanced country including Russia and Japan have a declining population while the third world countries breed like rabbits.

I know! Let's make up for not having our own babies by allowing millions of third world people into our countries to replace us! Isn't that a great idea?

Overpopulation is not absolute. It is relative to technology. If techology is sufficient to feed everyone then the world is no overpopulated. There may be local starvation situations of limited geographical and time extents due to accident, flood, drought or famine but this is not the same as steady state privation. When the world is in a state where privation exists over large areas and for extended time periods one might be able to say there are too many people.

The usual notion overpopulation is based on the lifeboat metaphor. If there are more people trying to get on a lifeboat than it will hold, either the boat will be swamped or some must be tossed overboard. This is rarely if ever the case with the world as a whole.

ruveyn

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 3:46 am

With a total of 21 of them they will need to get a surplus city bus to get around. Crazy.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 3:47 am

ruveyn wrote:
Overpopulation is not absolute. It is relative to technology. If techology is sufficient to feed everyone then the world is no overpopulated.

The availability of food is not the only restriction affecting the threshold beyond which there is overpopulation. There is also damage to the environment that must be taken into account. It is correct that a threshold for overpopulation is relative to technology, but research in food technologies is too slow to cope with infinite exponential population growth. Having a sustained worldwide famine is very easily possible, although perhaps rare and perhaps not anytime soon. However because the consequences would be so dire, I'd rather be on the safe side and not try to make worldwide famine happen sooner by having as many kids as possible.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 6:25 am

Stinkypuppy wrote:
The availability of food is not the only restriction affecting the threshold beyond which there is overpopulation. There is also damage to the environment that must be taken into account. It is correct that a threshold for overpopulation is relative to technology, but research in food technologies is too slow to cope with infinite exponential population growth. Having a sustained worldwide famine is very easily possible, although perhaps rare and perhaps not anytime soon. However because the consequences would be so dire, I'd rather be on the safe side and not try to make worldwide famine happen sooner by having as many kids as possible.

I agree to this extent. In the long run Malthus is right. Fortunately there are ways of curbing population, chief among which is birth control. Thus it is possible for mankind to fiddle and diddle without making babies. When Malthus lived the only sure method of birth control was abstinence, and people are not inclined to be abstinent. So war, famine, disease and death were the limiters of population.

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 6:52 am

Stinkypuppy wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Overpopulation is not absolute. It is relative to technology. If techology is sufficient to feed everyone then the world is no overpopulated.

The Earth survived survived the Permian-Triassic event. If the earth and life on it can survive that, I can bear the effects of Man, which is a small mosquito bite by comparison. Hell, we are nothing compare to the lesser Cretaceous-Triassic extinction event. Earth is tough. Only the destruction of the sun will finish it off.

ruveyn

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 5:51 am

The world can and probably will survive us.

It took from the time of Ogg the caveman until around 1850 for the entire world population to hit one billion.
Now it is what? Seven billion and climbing.

One billion people or even two sounds about right to me. With our modern science we could all live well and still leave room for the Pandas and the Lions etc.

The trick is to make that happen without huge wars and famines.

MagnusArmstrong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2009, 7:17 pm

It looks like the duggers are digging a hole in the food supply and putting the rest of humanity at risk they are just gonna end being one family is gonna lead us to starting the china one child policy.

MagnusArmstrong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2009, 7:19 pm

It looks like the duggers are digging a hole in the food supply and putting the rest of humanity at risk.they are just gonna end being the one family is gonna leads the US to starting the china one child policy.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 2:01 pm

I pity the kids, they are all brain-washed by their parents with fundamentalist Christianity. They actually believe that god makes babies and the earth is 6000 years old. Also the reason all the girls have long hair, is because it is the way their father likes it. They can't even cut their hair.

I have seen many clips of this family on youtube, they are all a bunch of cuckoos.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 2:49 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
Also the reason all the girls have long hair, is because it is the way their father likes it. They can't even cut their hair.

I had short hair for years because my father liked it. He didn't want me to appear to be girly with long hair, and I wasn't allowed to grow it.

Anywho, I'd rather the Duggers than Octomom.

Three years!