Toucan

13 Jan 2010, 3:00 pm

http://english.pravda.ru/science/myster ... man_face-0

awesome.

dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 3:03 pm

There must have been a villager there who's done naughty, naughty things with the sheep. :D

irishaspie
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2010, 3:05 pm

yeah the zimbabwe man actually thinks a human caused this...rather stupid since im pretty sure sheep cant produce offspring from humans(even if there was a case of bestiality-furthermore dont sheep have the wrong number of chromosones?)

AXLROSE
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2010, 3:09 pm

Thats disgusting 8O But it made me laugh []. Poor goat D:

dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 3:12 pm

irishaspie wrote:
yeah the zimbabwe man actually thinks a human caused this...rather stupid since im pretty sure sheep cant produce offspring from humans(even if there was a case of bestiality-furthermore dont sheep have the wrong number of chromosones?)

I guess it can't be ruled out entirely. They tried to cross chimps (who have 24 pairs instead of our 23) and humans once.

irishaspie
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2010, 3:13 pm

well i still dont think a species could form. we need more info...to the bat-cave! doo do doo do doooooooooo

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 4:28 pm

Couldn't likely work at the zygotic level, but interspecies chimerism would be a theoretical possibility, whereby two different fertilized ova are fused. (I suspect that it would be limited to tetragrammatic chimerism, though).

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 4:30 pm

Imagine if it lived through birth it'd be freaky to see frolicking in a field

irishaspie
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2010, 4:30 pm

but it would still have that lovely smile :lol:

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 4:31 pm

irishaspie wrote:
but it would still have that lovely smile :lol:

Imagine its reaction if you were wearing a sweater from it's wool

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 5:22 pm

zomg!111! its teh sheeples!1!

The year is still young.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 5:29 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
zomg!111! its teh sheeples!1!

I thought the only sheeple where on mtv

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 5:44 pm

I was always sure that human sperm/eggs were incompatible with other species. But the locals burning the body stops possible tests to have a closer look and see if a human really was responsible. (I doubt it myself)

It's strange how people think that animals and people who commit bestiality will create something with 100% human limbs/torso/head instead of a mix of the two... Otherwise you'll see many human couples having offspring with the same head as one parent, or torso from one or the other, etc

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 1:01 am

The fact that one with a similar mutation was born live and the locals were ignorant enough to kill it and burn the body is really sad - both for the goat and the people. And, of course, for science . . . and agriculture . . .

An example of how we could become more knowledgeable if only everyone in the world had equal access to a good education. But reality is pretty harsh.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 7:39 am

dddhgg wrote:
irishaspie wrote:

I guess it can't be ruled out entirely. They tried to cross chimps (who have 24 pairs instead of our 23) and humans once.

And Mugabe doesn't have a problem with it? He said that gays were "worse than dogs and pigs".

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 11:44 am

Keith wrote:
I was always sure that human sperm/eggs were incompatible with other species. But the locals burning the body stops possible tests to have a closer look and see if a human really was responsible. (I doubt it myself)

It's strange how people think that animals and people who commit bestiality will create something with 100% human limbs/torso/head instead of a mix of the two... Otherwise you'll see many human couples having offspring with the same head as one parent, or torso from one or the other, etc

One of the problems with all this is that none of the accepted definitions of "species" is entirely rigorous. For example, an oft-repeated definition seems to be that a species is "a group of organisms capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring of both genders, and separated from other such groups with which interbreeding does not (normally) happen." (Wikipedia.) The problems here are, firstly, that it is combinatorially just impossible to mate any pair of organisms (or even of accepted species) and see if they produce fertile offspring, and, secondly, that the lack of crossbreeding (normally) between two groups of organisms may have numerous other causes besides it just being impossible. I'm not saying that sheep are even remotely likely to be able to crossbreed successfully with humans, but it can't be discounted entirely until we try it on a sufficiently large scale, under methodologically acceptable conditions, which is ethically problematic of course.