Lincolnshire UK windfarm rejected to help autistic boys

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

kreb1958
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2010, 10:45 am

A North Lincolnshire windfarm plan has been rejected because of the "serious effect" it would have on eight-year-old autistic twin boys living nearby:--

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/8646326.stm

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 10:56 am

Bloody windfarms!

kreb1958
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2010, 11:03 am

Actually I am in favour of windfarms, as they are a source of renewable energy.

Having said that, off sea wind farms (such as the plan to have windfarm in the banks in the North Sea) is better site as these would not impact on existing land use.

In the above news, there is already a wind farm on one side of the Lincilnshire house in the report. In that house, is a family with two boys with ASD, who are adversely affected by the existing windfarm. There was a plan for a new windfarm, sited on land near the house but on the other side! Hence the new plan was rejected.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 12:44 pm

Personally, I think that is a bit ridiculous. If a whole community was affected, fine, but two individuals?

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 1:43 pm

I paraphrase a person whose name I've forgotten: "If every possible objection had to first be overcome, nothing would ever be done."

It seems rather silly to reject a large project because of its effect on precisely two individuals (plus family). However, if an alternative plan could be conceived that did not have this flaw but was otherwise equivalent to the other plan, then all the better. I think it's unreasonable to stop progress (and not the "Drill, baby, drill!" kind of progress, either) because of two people's problems with spinning objects.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 1:44 pm

I think that this is ridiculous.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 2:29 pm

It would seem they enhoy the spinning blades,
let them enjoy them. If they don't spin, they
will just have to let them scream at them, I
have thrown a wobbly before because of things
that upset me, but that is just how I react to things.

Not to be mean to them at all, in fact the blades
will be spinning more than not, and so they will
be happier more often than not happy.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

Lyriel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2010, 4:48 pm

There has to be more to this. I find it highly unlikely that such a project would be called off because of two individuals. I imagine the whole community complained about the noise and the eyesore, but the BBC chose to focus on these two little boys as the blame.

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 5:27 pm

kreb1958 wrote:
A North Lincolnshire windfarm plan has been rejected because of the "serious effect" it would have on eight-year-old autistic twin boys living nearby:--

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/8646326.stm

Its true that the wind farm could negatively affect the autistic boys. When I was a young child, my mother discovered I liked looking at the washing machine, I found the the repetitive circular motion mesmerising, so she left me in front of washing machine to keep me quiet when she did housework. I don't think I was affected, being only mild, AS. But clearly, this is more severe autism.

http://bbrhuft.photium.com

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 5:52 am

Well, it's sad so we wish we can find better sites for the windfarms to operate. No to fossil fuels! Yes to renewable energy sources!