That teacher who gave that kid a bloody good hiding... (UK)

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 5:01 pm

Apart from the fact that I'm very glad that Peter Harvey was cleared there is another interesting tidbit of information.

One of his daughter's (who is in her teenage years) is an Aspie.

Just thought you'd all like to know.

I wonder what she looks like. I probably wouldn't mess with her dad though.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 8:01 pm

From the description of his circumstances leading up to this incident, which they were going through on radio 4 yesterday. It would not suprise me if he has AS himself. It sounded like he'd suffered from serious burnout

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 10:33 pm

Is that the story where a teacher flattened a kid with a dumbbell?

I heard that he was goaded into it but I don't think that is a good enough excuse for trying to crack the kid's skull.

In America, didn't they once have a defence called "fighting words"?

The idea was that if a person insulted or mocked another man badly enough then the insulted man was justified in taking a swing at his tormentor.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 2:15 am

I think that this thread is about the case of a UK teacher who oneday snaped, he bashed a pupil with a metal weight.

He was cleared of attempted murder but found guilty of GBH.

I feel sorry for the teacher, the kids thought it was a great idea to try to push him over the edge. Then he snapped and bashed one of them. The problem is that even if provoked teachers can not be allowed to bash pupils heads with heavy objects, but if these kids can not be "normal" or "healthy" if they think it is normal and right to wind someone up until they snap.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/apr/2 ... rvey-pupil

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/w ... 5858625302

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 6:23 am

Mashing a students head with a metal dumbbell is a bridge too far, but its a reflection of the sorry state that our schools are in, and a reflection of the current breach between adults (in authority or otherwise) and children. Once, the fact that a grown person COULD batter you quite easily was reason enough to not provoke them too far, whoever they were. There has been a terrible reverse where now a generation of adults fears its children.

At least one paper reported that students had visited this man's house and threatened him on previous occasions. It appears this went a little deeper than cheeky kids winding someone up.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 6:57 am

Macbeth wrote:
Mashing a students head with a metal dumbbell is a bridge too far

At least one paper reported that students had visited this man's house and threatened him on previous occasions. It appears this went a little deeper than cheeky kids winding someone up.

No it isn't. He could have gone all Class of 1984 on their asses.

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 May 2010, 9:44 am

The little s"** led a campaign of bullying and abuse against the teacher-he deserved a good thrashing. :D

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 11:04 am

Why where the kids not charged with harassment, they would probably stop being dicks to there teachers.(whether or not they where actually found guilty.)

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 3:52 pm

From the description of the event and the descriptions from the teacher of how he felt during the incident it might be possible that he is suffering from Schizophrenia. In any event the poor guy needs help and I wish him luck.

Vanilla_Slice

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 8:11 pm

Sorry, but I have NO sympathy for the teacher at all. The kid was acting like a douchebag, yes, but the teacher was the adult in the situation. If he cannot control his kids, or his temper, he should have changed jobs long ago.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 6:57 am

fracturing someones skull with a dumbell is not 'good' neither is it a 'hiding', a thrashing' or any such nonsense. But thanks for reminding me how insidious + contagious demonic possession can be.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 1:49 pm

In the world of primary and secondary schools, the tables are very clearly tilted in favour of the students--and all to the good.

Students' behaviour is subject to far less stringent control; their mistakes are subject to far less serious penalties. But this is because children and adolescents are not yet adults, and continue to grow and (hopefully) mature.

Teachers, on the other hand, are sophisticated, trained individuals, who sign on to their jobs knowing the rules under which they work and the consequences of their mistakes.

While that does not excuse students' provocative behaviour, it does underscore the responsibility of teachers to back away before students can put them, "over the edge."

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 2:15 pm

They should take all the troublemaking chavs and put them into a class with this teacher. Let's see them f**k with him now.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 7:30 am

Violence is just wrong.

When I was in high school (Australia) teachers could still cane students.

One day I saw a nasty little "hitler" of a teacher stop a boy for talking in the corridor.
He said "Go and fetch my cane. I am going to cane you"

The boy who was a year 12 footballer said "No you won't. If you try to hit me with a stick I will wrap it around your neck"

We cheered for the boy. After all he was essentially a grown man and he was not about to let himself be beaten like a dog by another man as if he was a slave or a convict.

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 7:48 am

Both groups are at fault. While the teacher was heavily provoked, this does not excuse his behavior, but as he has already been incarcerated for a long time I think it is only reasonable not to punish him. Rather, suspend him from teaching until a psychologist considers him fully competent to do his job. As for the children, where proof of guilt can be gathered they should be sent to a correctional facility.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 11:04 am

This teacher would have been welcomed at my old school with open arms. Pupils were disciplined by the use of the tawse [a leather belt].
I once saw a teacher push a rowdy pupil down a flight of stairs and another smash a glass window with a tawse.

I think the job gets to some of them and so not surprised to hear of this case but glad no one died.