Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 May 2010, 5:01 pm

Martin Gardner 1914-2010

Martin Gardner, 95, Math And Science Writer, Dies

Quote:
Prolific mathematics and science writer Martin Gardner, known for popularizing recreational mathematics and debunking paranormal claims, died Saturday. He was 95.

Gardner died Saturday after a brief illness at Norman Regional Hospital, said his son James Gardner. He had been living at an assisted living facility in Norman.

Martin Gardner was born in 1914 in Tulsa, Okla., and earned a bachelor's degree in philosophy at the University of Chicago.

He became a freelance writer, and in the 1950s wrote features and stories for several children's magazines. His creation of paper-folding puzzles led to his publication in Scientific American magazine, where he wrote his "Mathematical Games" column for 25 years.

I remember pitting my gray cells against some of his puzzles. He will be missed. RIP.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2010, 5:56 pm

May he rest in peace. :cry:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 5:59 am

richie wrote:
Martin Gardner 1914-2010

Martin Gardner, 95, Math And Science Writer, Dies

Quote:
Prolific mathematics and science writer Martin Gardner, known for popularizing recreational mathematics and debunking paranormal claims, died Saturday. He was 95.

Gardner died Saturday after a brief illness at Norman Regional Hospital, said his son James Gardner. He had been living at an assisted living facility in Norman.

Martin Gardner was born in 1914 in Tulsa, Okla., and earned a bachelor's degree in philosophy at the University of Chicago.

He became a freelance writer, and in the 1950s wrote features and stories for several children's magazines. His creation of paper-folding puzzles led to his publication in Scientific American magazine, where he wrote his "Mathematical Games" column for 25 years.

I remember pitting my gray cells against some of his puzzles. He will be missed. RIP.

He will indeed. I, for one, will miss his wit and wisdom and the many articles he wrote on matters mathematical and scientific. He was one of the leading warriors against scientific fraud and pseudo-scientific nonsense. We shall not see his like again for a long, long time. R.I.P.

ruveyn

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 8:08 am

RIP. I have a few of his books at home. I'm someone who wasted what little mathematical education I had, but his books are great for showing readers there's still plenty of enjoyment to be had from maths and science for interested amateurs. It seems he was well respected by professional scientists and amateur puzzle enthusiasts alike.
He wrote also wrote a great little book of annotations to Lewis Carroll's "Alice" stories. I see there is a WP member named in honour of The Annotated Alice!