Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 11:35 am

I've been reading the incredible details of the upcoming wedding of Chelsea and frankly I'm impressed. The expenditures that the press detail are worthy of Royalty. Are they really such a big deal in the USA ???
I thought they were 'has beens'.

ja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2010, 11:50 am

Are the Clintons US royalty? You gotta be kidding

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 11:53 am

i just watch two shows today both said something about it.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

30 Jul 2010, 12:08 pm

No. The media probably wishes they were though.

This is a really bad look when the country is in a recession.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 12:09 pm

Only guessing a bit here, but I suspect many political "has beens" all still run together within their circles of self-illusion as made possible by retirement benefits paid from funds supplied by the rest of us here at gunpoint. However, I doubt those of us actually paying for that feel very bad about not being invited.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 1:19 pm

:lmao: :lmao: Royalty. That's hysterical. Try 'Glorified Trailer Trash'

Ah feel yore pain. :roll:

Didacticity
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jul 2010, 1:20 pm

Not really "has-beens." It was only two years ago that she nearly ended up the first female US president. Currently she has higher approval ratings than Obama, whose presidency seems to have been marred by the 2008 fight for the nomination. There is speculation that in 2012 she'll challenge him for the Democratic nomination again (which will make the Clintons look even more like the Kennedys and Obama look even more like Jimmy Carter), or that he'll have her as his running mate. Also, it's worth noting that Bill has enjoyed a healthy level of popularity since the mid-90's.

bicentennialman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2010, 1:38 pm

The United States doesn't have royalty by definition, but there is a desire in our culture, just as there is in England, to gossip about the lives of celebrities. So people in the media and in the general public who like to focus on that are fond of choosing people to describe as "royalty."

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 1:54 pm

bicentennialman wrote:
The United States doesn't have royalty by definition, but there is a desire in our culture, just as there is in England, to gossip about the lives of celebrities. So people in the media and in the general public who like to focus on that are fond of choosing people to describe as "royalty."

And we already applied that word to the Kennedy's, not the Clintons. Neither Bill nor Hillary come from wealthy, powerful families that would allow us to grant them royalty status. As Willard pointed out, they basically trailer trash: Especially Bill, check out history of Dad, Mom, and brother.

Now if Chelsea had married a Kennedy, which she would have if she were thinking clearly, then yeah, the Clintons would have married themselves into the royal family.

Last edited by dyingofpoetry on 31 Jul 2010, 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 2:24 pm

The last "royalty" we had in the U.S. were the Kennedy folk of Hyanisport.

ruveyn

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 2:30 pm

Didacticity wrote:
Not really "has-beens." It was only two years ago that she nearly ended up the first female US president. Currently she has higher approval ratings than Obama, whose presidency seems to have been marred by the 2008 fight for the nomination. There is speculation that in 2012 she'll challenge him for the Democratic nomination again (which will make the Clintons look even more like the Kennedys and Obama look even more like Jimmy Carter), or that he'll have her as his running mate. Also, it's worth noting that Bill has enjoyed a healthy level of popularity since the mid-90's.

I personally believe Hillary was in the running two years ago mostly as a well-placed distraction to help drive people toward a bit of pre-presidential popularity for Obama, yet I do respectfully acknowledge the strong support many people do have for her.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 3:27 pm

Willard wrote:
Try 'Glorified Trailer Trash

I was going to come in this thread and post those exact words! :lol:

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 4:11 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Willard wrote:
Try 'Glorified Trailer Trash

I was going to come in this thread and post those exact words! :lol:

Definition please ??

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 9:10 pm

in the US, being a millionaire IS royalty.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

31 Jul 2010, 6:51 am

I hear that Hillary is going to divorce Bill and run for election again. He was like a bum leg in her last campaign

Lyriel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2010, 5:06 pm

I wish the tabloid media would just leave poor Chelsea alone. It's more than clear that she wanted her wedding to be a private affair, yet she's been stalked by paparazzi for the past month or so, and having details that should be none of our business leaked on TV and online. I'm sick of it, and I bet she is, too.