Page 1 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Aug 2010, 9:42 pm

Yet another religious case where a Muslim girl is denied her right to wear a headscarf to work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehF1N4DPApw

Thoughts :?:

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 9:56 pm

If she didn't understand the dress code when she got the job, then she shouldn't be working there.
If she wanted some sort of exemption for her religious views, that should have been covered during the hiring.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 11:50 pm

They come to North America to start a new life, that's filled with freedom, and than they try to hold on to their old ways.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 12:02 am

If it's out of uniform it's out of uniform. What's next? Islam-friendly uniforms for Hooters waitresses? :roll:

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 12:22 am

people so need to learn the realities of the phrase "When in rome do as the romans do..."

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 12:32 am

Tragic thing here is that the men in her old country had forced her, and in fact all women, to wear the headscarfs and the robes and whatnot. (Allah-forbid a woman would be seen in public! What's next???! They will start getting jobs and driving cars? Goodness me, we can't have that!! !) And this girl had escaped that world, came here, and is still stuck in sort of a brainwashed mode of thinking where she's convinced herself that the headscarf is some sort of a heritage to be defended, instead of a bondage it truly is.

She needs some American girlfriends to take her out clubbing.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

22 Aug 2010, 12:43 am

Dilbert wrote:
Tragic thing here is that the men in her old country had forced her, and in fact all women, to wear the headscarfs and the robes and whatnot. (Allah-forbid a woman would be seen in public! What's next???! They will start getting jobs and driving cars? Goodness me, we can't have that!! !) And this girl had escaped that world, came here, and is still stuck in sort of a brainwashed mode of thinking where she's convinced herself that the headscarf is some sort of a heritage to be defended, instead of a bondage it truly is.

This is incredibly ignorant. Could it not be that she wears the headscarf because she wants to? In implying that the ONLY way she would prefer to wear one is cultural brainwashing rather than an intelligent choice, you are guilty of the same sexism you accuse her culture of.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 1:27 am

She began wearing the headscarf after she began working. This is just another cheap grab for attention.

I might be uncomfortable with letting my penis show, now that I've lived my entire life in a country that requires me to wear pants. If there were a foreign company that required me not to wear pants at work, then I probably wouldn't work there and I definitely would not take a job there, work there for a while without pants, and then make an issue out of the working conditions when I decided to start wearing pants again.

Last edited by sgrannel on 23 Aug 2010, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 2:27 am

I normally don't agree with frivolous lawsuits, but I'm all for anyone suing Disney for any reason.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 11:01 am

If this were any other company, then she would've likely had a better chance at a lawsuit. But it's a completely different story if you're working in a Disney Resort especially if you're playing a role where you're interacting with customers.

If she was working a backstage role then she wouldnt have been asked to remove her hijab.

I dont think she understands the seriousness of an playing on-stage Disney role. Everything in a Disney theme park or resort is intended to create a themed experience for guests. Thus cast members (Disney term for employees) are suppose to dress and look (and sometimes act) in a certain way.

Now this woman was an employee of a restaraunt in the Grand Californian hotel which itself is theme to early 20th century California, thus cast members must dress appropriatly to fit the 1900s California theme. Of course Disney is less strict on which races fill these roles but if you're dress in a 1900s American wear and you're wearing a hijab, it's awkward and kinda kills the theming. How many muslim women do you know were immigrants in California during the turn of the century?

It's really a matter of staying in character in a Disney role thus you're required to wear what Disney provides depending on your role. It's no different from not being able to wear blue jeans. Even fully costumed characters are required to wear certain sweats under their clothing.

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 11:04 am

John_Browning wrote:
If it's out of uniform it's out of uniform. What's next? Islam-friendly uniforms for Hooters waitresses? :roll:

That would effectively shut Hooters down, especially its one UK branch in my town of Nottingham. The place would be razed to the ground. There is a lot of anti Islam behaviour here at the moment and its set to get worse. :D

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 11:17 am

If there is a dress code (one that the employer insists on) then employees either accept it or they do not become or cease to be employees. Dress code is a condition of employment. One has the right to enter into or not enter into contracts, but once in the contract the party is obliged to conform.

ruveyn

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 11:18 am

Believe me, there is absolutely no way you can get through their thick skulls. They are an unmovable religion.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 2:55 pm

While I am not a muslim but I must say that as long as the head dress is not a threat to health and safety it should be allowed ! The head scarf is not something I want to wear, but it does not bother me if I see a person wearing one.

I know of some jobs where before you enter the workplace you have to take off all your clothing (including underwear) and then dress in the company clothing. But these are very rare jobs where the cothing change is for health and safety reasons. I imagine that if she ended up with a job working with tetraethyl lead or toxic metal dust then I imagine that she might have to accept that she would have to go for a total clothing change but I imagine and hope that her employer would use company clothing which is OK for a woman of her faith to wear.

I hope that the "ABCDE heavy metal cleanup company" will not use wounderbras, thongs and see thorugh plastic clothing as the company clothing !

Here are some of the rules about lead work http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx ... 6-62-07521

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2010, 3:03 pm

I think people should be allowed to wear religious clothing at work such as turbans. A headscarf is really normal and important to islamic/middle eastern culture. They should see that. I think it shows a lot of ignorance. Common sense says that a person who wants to wear really different clothing, such as a face mask, would not be working outside their own community anyway. a head scarf is nothing to offend anyone, loads of shops i have ever worked in had women in head scarf. I dont see why it matters if she only started wearing it after working as lots of people re-convert or re-commit to their faith at different times of life.

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 3:18 pm

If they wear head scarves and work with machines and it accidentially came loose and got stuck in some machinery, then there would be some serious things being brought up. But anyway, Indian people always wear their turbans properly and if one did come lose, then that only proves to show that it was done on purpose in order to invoke a lawsuit.