Girl loses stomach after drinking liquid nitrogen cocktail

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 2:06 pm

Apparently, these drinks of utter madness, or complete incompetence, even are quite popular, nowadays. :/ Even at bars, that is. The foolishness of humanity never stops.

Link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/95940 ... omach.html

Quote:
Scientists have warned of the dangers of cocktails prepared with liquid nitrogen after Gaby Scanlon, 18, had her stomach removed in an operation believed to have saved her life.

/ ... /

Scientists have warned of the dangers of using liquid nitrogen for culinary purposes after a teenage girl who had drunk a cocktail containing the substance underwent emergency surgery.

Gaby Scanlon is believed to have suffered an adverse reaction after drinking a correctly prepared Jagermeister drink made with liquid nitrogen to produce a steaming “cauldron effect.”

The sixth form pupil was celebrating her 18th birthday with friends in Lancaster city centre when she had the drink at Oscars wine bar on Thursday night.

Police said she had her stomach removed afterwards in an urgent operation thought to have saved her life.

The bar is not thought to have made an error in preparing the drink.

But professor Peter Barham, of the University of Bristol's School of Physics, stressed the importance of ensuring proper safety measures were in place when liquid nitrogen was being used in food and drink preparation.

The temperature of the liquid is around -196C and if it is not used properly it can cause frostbite or cryogenic burns, he warned.

"As with any very hot or very cold liquid proper safety measures must be taken,” he said. “Just as no-one would drink boiling water or oil or pour it over themselves, so no-one should ingest liquid nitrogen.

"Liquid nitrogen can be used safely in the preparation of foods. However, since it is not safe to ingest liquid nitrogen due care must be taken to ensure that the liquid has all evaporated before serving any food or drink that was prepared with liquid nitrogen.”

Miss Scanlon, from the Lancashire village of Heysham, reported feeling breathless and then developed severe stomach pain after drinking the cocktail.

She was taken to Lancaster Royal Infirmary at about 11pm, diagnosed with a perforated stomach and underwent emergency surgery to remove it, Lancashire Constabulary said.

/ ... /

Liquid nitrogen has become popular for the making of some elaborate cocktails, with Heston Blumenthal among the most high–profile chefs to use it for culinary purposes.

The liquid form of the gas can be used to flash–freeze substances, and some bars use it to chill glasses or freeze ingredients, producing a dramatic–looking grey vapour.

Numerous recipes for liquid nitrogen cocktails can be found on the internet but the substance can cause serious cold burns and should never be ingested.

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Oct 2012, 3:48 pm

How does one survive without a stomach? Directly injecting sugary fluids into the veins? That must be tedious, and rather hard on the arms....

SickInDaHead
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2012, 3:58 pm

Yeah you see I think a lot of people with AS would look at this "smoking" drink and wonder what the draw is. It makes as much sense as going to a concert and screaming "woooooooooooo!! !! !" all night.

NTs think we are the ret*ds....

Vatnos
Raven
Raven

15 Oct 2012, 5:02 pm

iggy64 wrote:
How does one survive without a stomach? Directly injecting sugary fluids into the veins? That must be tedious, and rather hard on the arms....

Humans can survive without a stomach. They surgically attach the esophagus to the duodenum. You have to control your portions and take vitamin supplements. It's a reduced quality of life but it's livable. People with severe obesity sometimes have their stomachs bypassed, and people with stomach cancer or severe ulcers often have it removed.

Terrible that she has to live the rest of her life like that now, at such a young age. What a waste.

She could get a stomach transplant, but those are rarely done. Apparently the reduction in the quality of life is smaller from missing a stomach than it would be from taking immunosuppresents with a donor stomach.

SickInDaHead wrote:
Yeah you see I think a lot of people with AS would look at this "smoking" drink and wonder what the draw is. It makes as much sense as going to a concert and screaming "woooooooooooo!! !! !" all night.

I don't know about you but I certainly drink. It helps with the anxiety. I don't go to clubs though.

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 5:52 pm

SickInDaHead wrote:

That's not very fair towards her at all. It also is pretty damn mean, to say the very least, to call her a ret*d, after she has just lost her stomach. The people who I could be very willing to call ret*d would be the ones who actually serve this stuff, *knowing* what it contains. People who order food or drinks shouldn't have to assume that they well may be poisoned, or like in this case, gravely assaulted, with physical damage for life.

Furthermore, why would people with AS not end up getting harmed, similarly? That's absolutely silly to assume, and damaging to people with AS, in general. One cannot just assume that people who "belong" to a particular "group" all will act the same, or be equally informed. I'm sure you must agree to that. Additionally, for all you know, she even *could* be an Aspie - you don't actually know her... do you?

It really is remarkable how often people put the blame on the victim.

No idea what to reply with to your concert comment, though.... it makes no sense at all, to me...

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 6:23 pm

She almost won the Darwin Award.

ruveyn

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 8:13 pm

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

You really are a terrible person, aren't you...? There really is no limit to the things you say, at times. The Japanese should be wiped out, the Afghans should, as well, and a girl who is served a drink that she very likely was unaware of what contained, apparently did it to herself, thus deserving a "Darwin Award".

At least you are old. Still, it's a shame that you will die such a bitter and overwhelmingly cynical old man, when you do. I honestly feel kind of sad for you.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 9:19 pm

Beauty_pact wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

You really are a terrible person, aren't you...? There really is no limit to the things you say, at times. The Japanese should be wiped out, the Afghans should, as well, and a girl who is served a drink that she very likely was unaware of what contained, apparently did it to herself, thus deserving a "Darwin Award".

At least you are old. Still, it's a shame that you will die such a bitter and overwhelmingly cynical old man, when you do. I honestly feel kind of sad for you.

My grandchildren like me.

ruveyn

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 10:08 pm

Who's idea was it to make a drink that had liquid nitrogen in it in the first place?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 10:50 pm

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Much as I excoriate the over-cautious health and safety culture we live in here in the UK, this really isn't one of those cases. She was an 18 year old woman in a club on a night out in Lancaster (not far from me)! People shouldn't be expected to know or to remember their chemistry lessons (and therefore when a drink won't burst their stomach open) on a night out. Anything that is served to people in clubs should be safe to drink as soon as it's served - it's as simple as that.

It's a very, very nasty case all round. I hope other bars take on-board this lesson and pull these drinks. They might be OK as a fun stunt in controlled circumstances in a lab with sober people, but in bars and clubs on a Friday night being served to people, probably drunk, completely unaware of its contents? An accident waiting to happen.

Last edited by Tequila on 15 Oct 2012, 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 10:52 pm

Tensu wrote:
Who's idea was it to make a drink that had liquid nitrogen in it in the first place?

Competition in the bar industry, I'd guess. It's basically always about money, after all. I wonder if Heston Blumenthal, for example, will stop with his absolute nonsense, after this... if he has any intelligence or morality, he will, as well as clearly speak out against its usage. Making drinks like these should be considered as attempted grave assault.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-221473 ... l?ITO=1490

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 1:44 am

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

I concur. If her condition makes it too dangerous for her to get pregnant, she might still qualify.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 2:32 am

And when such drinks are served are the customers informed of this potential danger? I mean sure I sure as hell wouldn't have had that particular drink since even if I wasn't told I'd probably suspect the whole cauldron effect was caused by it. But yeah not everyone knows that and of course sometimes not everything occurs to someone.

Ignorance can be dangerous, but then I don't think its a crime deserving of death or having ones stomach removed.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 2:35 am

John_Browning wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

I concur. If her condition makes it too dangerous for her to get pregnant, she might still qualify.

Because it's so funny when establishments knowingly serve poisonous drinks to their customers. :roll:

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 2:42 am

I have had a bubbling smoking mixed drink before and I'm fine. The ingredient was simple Dry Ice.

Hasn't this bar heard of freakin Dry Ice?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 4:40 am

ruveyn wrote:
Beauty_pact wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

My grandchildren like me.

ruveyn

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer