Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

25 Aug 2010, 8:39 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/08/25/ ... index.html

That would be nice....do the soldiers go home or are they sent to afscanistan (sp)?????

ducky9924
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Aug 2010, 9:22 pm

With the bombings today... not sure whats gunna happen. (If they want us gone, WTH did they do that?)

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

25 Aug 2010, 9:28 pm

I think it is more like a tuck tail and run....that region has been ravaged by war for over 2,200 years with only two hundred years of peace since the first civilizations resided there I dont think we have the ability to fix this....we might as well save ourselves.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Aug 2010, 10:01 pm

This was agreed to while Bush was still president in the Status of Forces Agreement. There will still be 50k "non-combat" troops there until at least December 31st, 2011 and that could be delayed depending on whats happening on the ground.

We'll probably still keep a military force in the region after that and we still have an embassy bigger than the Vatican there.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 11:59 pm

Lets just hope, that things go as they're planned.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 12:52 am

I mentioned this in the thread about Israel's time frame to attack Iran (that mysteriously disappeared). I don't remember what my original post said exactly, but I was implying that they were coming out of Iraq to get ready for a tour of Iran. Of course the nuclear holocaust didn't happen :roll: but it doesn't mean that it will happen in the future. Israel might have waited for the rods to be used so that blowing them up could lead to more destruction.

Even though our "active combat brigades" are out of Iraq, we still have thousands of contractors there...We still have a lot of interests there, and it will be a long time before we are totally out of the country.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 3:45 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

I agree. and why is Obama only going to talk for 15 minutes? I think it should be more.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 10:15 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

I agree. and why is Obama only going to talk for 15 minutes? I think it should be more.

Because he's a celebrity and gets what he wants as if he's a spoiled child. Makes such drastic changes and then sues (throws a temper tantrum) my state because we don't want to cater to people who don't belong here.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 4:59 pm

They should never have been in Iraq in the first place.

EnglishLulu
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 8:19 pm

Standard letter type email sent from the White House:

Good evening,

Tomorrow evening at 8 p.m. EDT, I will address the nation from the Oval Office about the end of the war in Iraq.

We are at a truly historic moment in our nation’s history. After more than seven years, our combat mission in Iraq will end tomorrow.

As both a candidate and President, I promised to bring the war in Iraq to a responsible end. Now, we are taking an important step forward in delivering on that promise. Since I took office, we’ve brought nearly 100,000 U.S. troops home from Iraq, millions of pieces of equipment have been removed, and hundreds of bases have been closed or transferred to Iraqi Security Forces.

Our combat mission in Iraq is ending, but our commitment to an Iraq that is sovereign, stable and self-reliant continues. As our mission in Iraq changes, 50,000 U.S. troops will remain in Iraq to advise and assist the Iraqi Security Forces as they assume full responsibility for the security of their country on September 1. We will forge a strong partnership with an Iraq that still faces enduring challenges.

For nearly a decade, we have been a nation at war. The war in Iraq has at times divided us. But one thing I think all Americans can agree on is that our brave men and women in uniform are truly America’s finest. They have put their lives on the line and endured long separations from their family and loved ones.

All Americans owe our troops, veterans and military families a debt of gratitude for their outstanding service to our nation. Over the past few days, thousands of Americans have taken part in our Saluting Service in Iraq effort on WhiteHouse.gov, sending their messages of thanks and support to our troops.

Take a minute right now to see what your fellow Americans have to say and add a message of your own:

Supporting our troops and military families is the responsibility of all Americans. My Administration is doing everything in its power to ensure that our troops, veterans and their families have the support they need as they serve, and the care and opportunities they need to realize their dreams when they return home.

I hope you will join me in welcoming our troops home and showing your gratitude for their heroic service.

Sincerely,

President Barack Obama

EnglishLulu
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 8:20 pm

So that's all right then, the war's over, no one else is going to die a needless death... oh, er, hang on...

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

30 Aug 2010, 9:10 pm

http://paul.house.gov/index.php?option= ... aight-talk

Ron Paul basically sums it up

This is a joke.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2010, 7:10 pm

War is over! Democracy just kicked in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlIm-riMN6Q

Fast forward to 1:30 if you are impatient.

Brianm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Aug 2010, 8:31 pm

I'll not say anything about the war.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 7:16 pm

FINALLY! {somewhat}

Next summer, the War on Terror will FINALLY be over
with troops pulling out of Afghanistan.