Article: Government using GPS on citizen's cars

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

25 Aug 2010, 8:48 pm

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article ... 50,00.html

They say they are using GPS to track criminals...but from what I have seen, they use it on innocent citizens and whistleblowers too.
The ACLU says that we (US) are becoming a surveilance society with the use of fusion centers in each state.

Kai_Bliss
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Aug 2010, 2:49 am

jojobean wrote:
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2013150,00.html

They say they are using GPS to track criminals...but from what I have seen, they use it on innocent citizens and whistleblowers too.
The ACLU says that we (US) are becoming a surveilance society with the use of fusion centers in each state.

I have always been paranoid about that, and this proves me right..... :o

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 8:59 am

They're probably watching us through our TVs anyway...

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 9:18 am

So I can put GPS trackers on government vehicles if they're in public spaces now, right? :twisted:

This decision is borderline disturbing to me. It's open to all kinds of abuse and the dissenting judge makes a very good point that this sort of tactic can only be applied to poorer citizens and almost never to rich elites with fenced in properties.

I don't think the police are wrong in using GPS trackers, but they need to get a warrant for it at least.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 9:51 am

CowboyFromHell wrote:

I see accusation and rumor here, but no proof.

ruveyn

clumsybee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2010, 4:01 pm

CowboyFromHell wrote:

Probably not with TVs, but most certainly they can with cell phones. Cell phone companies can track where all of their customers are at all times. It's all quite scary...

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 4:05 pm

clumsybee wrote:
CowboyFromHell wrote:

Probably not with TVs, but most certainly they can with cell phones. Cell phone companies can track where all of their customers are at all times. It's all quite scary...

Well, of course they keep track of where their customers are - how else do you expect to get calls directed to your phone??

If it bothers you, the cure is simple - don't have a cell phone. No phone, no tracking, no problem...

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 4:12 pm

No surprises here. There mere fact that the NSA exists should be enough to make every US citizen rightly paranoid.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 8:25 pm

Apple spies on their users as well.

As a matter of fact, as upright, virtuous citizens, we should be proud of such technologies.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oRywJ2Kueo[/youtube]

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 10:10 pm

ruveyn wrote:
CowboyFromHell wrote:

This statement wasn't literal. I'm just basically saying that you never know when someone's watching you.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 1:20 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
Well, of course they keep track of where their customers are - how else do you expect to get calls directed to your phone??

If it bothers you, the cure is simple - don't have a cell phone. No phone, no tracking, no problem...

Calls could be directed even before GPS-style tracking was added a few years ago. The kind of "tracking" being questioned here was allegedly added for the sake of 911-call location, not for cell-phone function.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 10:08 pm

There was a case recently where the cops got several guys for assault because they could show that their cell phones were at that location at that time.

How about that story a few weeks ago where it turned out that school officials could look through the inbuilt camera in school issued laptops? They could look at kids in their own bedrooms.

Kai_Bliss
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Aug 2010, 11:31 pm

Wombat wrote:
There was a case recently where the cops got several guys for assault because they could show that their cell phones were at that location at that time.

How about that story a few weeks ago where it turned out that school officials could look through the inbuilt camera in school issued laptops? They could look at kids in their own bedrooms.

8O
That's insane. Why would they even want to do that, I would like to read the story, sounds interesting, yet scares the sh** out of me.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

31 Aug 2010, 7:34 pm

At the formation of fusion centers, the ACLU said that this program will make our country a surveilance society. It seems to be happening before our eyes.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 2:50 am

Kai_Bliss wrote:
Wombat wrote:

8O
That's insane. Why would they even want to do that, I would like to read the story, sounds interesting, yet scares the sh** out of me.

That school did get in trouble for it, though. Google it and you'll probably find articles.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 6:06 am

CowboyFromHell wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
CowboyFromHell wrote:

This statement wasn't literal. Im just basically saying that you never know when someone's watching you.

We will never know if or when angels start flying out of our rectums either. Believing things with no evidence to back up the beliefs is the hobby of wing nuts and paranoids.l;

ruveyn