National poll conducted on bullying...results are in

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

orsman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2010, 6:24 pm

i guess bullies are running out of auties to bully they are resorting to bullying normal kids :D

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 8:31 am

Guys. How about stop the Downsyndrome hate.
There's a SPECTRUM for Downs kids too, you know.
And there's really no connection.

As someone who was bullied myself, for a long time (even by school busdrivers) I have my own share of hatred for the system, but I don't go around knocking over the wheelchair kids or dissing the downs kids with their aides, or even the kid who stutters and gets OT when I don't..

That's a form of bullying, and they don't deserve it any more than we do. Ours just doesn't have a visual component, and thus we fall through the cracks a lot of the time. Hell, half of us don't even get diagnosed until late in life. That's no reason to set ourselves apart from the other kids who get bullied for their own reasons every day... the gay kid, the poor kid... they don't have anyone guarding them either.

What we need is to end bullying. We need to band together with the other victims of bullying and DO something. You don't need to hang out with them or be their buddies, but when you see bullying, DO something about it - find the teacher you know is mature and aware enough to do something about it. Grab another 'outcast' kid and say "Hey let's go help Billy defend himself against those jerks - for our own future!"

Most of his bullies are your bullies too! When there's a situation where one of your fellow victims gets in trouble because a bully beat him up, force yourself into the discussion with the other teachers, or tell your parents you want to contact the school as a witness... and defend your ally against the bully - make sure the right guy gets in trouble and gets put in the school's anger management program - or at least on the shit-list. It'll make your life easier in the long run. Sure it might get you a few more slugs along the way, but a bully hasn't got the resources to spread the hate that hard and that wide if you're all together.

Instead of all this - use your heads. You guys are smart right? Find the other kids who are bullied, and get together with them to write up a list of the worst bullies in your school. Get signatures of other kids to say "yeah this guy's a jerk" and hand it over to the principal. They'll have to take action on something so well ordered.. or at least when something happens, you can say "we told you so" and make them look like the @% they are.

BPalmer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 9:46 am

OddFiction wrote:
Guys. How about stop the Downsyndrome hate. There's a SPECTRUM for Downs kids too, you know. And there's really no connection.

There is a connection, and that's the gross double standard. It indicates a virulent anti-intellectualism. Just for the record, in my first year of high school. I was constantly abused by some kids from a special school on the train to/from the normal school I went to, and no-one did anything about it. So can you see where I'm coming from? We who have invisible disabilities are so unpopular that even the tards and droolers hate us!

number5
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 12:45 pm

BPalmer wrote:
OddFiction wrote:
Guys. How about stop the Downsyndrome hate. There's a SPECTRUM for Downs kids too, you know. And there's really no connection.

There is a connection, and that's the gross double standard. It indicates a virulent anti-intellectualism. Just for the record, in my first year of high school. I was constantly abused by some kids from a special school on the train to/from the normal school I went to, and no-one did anything about it. So can you see where I'm coming from? We who have invisible disabilities are so unpopular that even the tards and droolers hate us!

Bullying is simply an insecure person picking on someone who is "weaker," for lack of a better term, than themselves - nothing more. Anyone could be considered a weaker person, not just someone with a disability, and anyone could be insecure, not just a NT. In my book, I would consider someone who picked on "tards and droolers," as you so nicely put it, a bully.

I do think bullying has been taken to a new level within the past 10 years or so. Anyone who witnesses a bully in action needs to act immediately, especially adults and teachers.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 1:23 pm

BPalmer wrote:
OddFiction wrote:

Your connection is... That you can't effectively bully the trisomy21 kids (or any visually handicapped maybe?) because they have more protection than you... more social sympathy than you? Maybe if you word it like that, I could see sober discussion. But abusing people of any disability to try and make a point isn't going to get YOU or your arguement any sympathy.

And using slurs like "mong" is abuse.

BPalmer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 1:45 pm

If your grades go down the chute because you're constantly mistreated at school, so you can't get a decent job, and therefore end up in share housing in some roughneck suburb, you can forget about "sober discussion." It doesn't exist in the environment I'm trapped in, and that's had some rather poisonous effects. Just last month a new housemate intimidated me because I asked him politely to turn the volume down on the living room TV set, and I'm supposed to care about being sensitive to those who are sheltered from such things? Hey, I've simply had a gutsful of us Aspies being treated like the lowest of the low!

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 2:03 pm

BPalmer wrote:
OddFiction wrote:

I'm sorry no one did anything about the "special kids" abusing you. Still....i'd say the "special kids" have more of an excuse for bullying than just about everyone else. That does not mean they should be allowed to engage in it however.

OTOH, it seems like you'd be Ok with the bullying of "tards" and "droolers" so long as quirky "intellectuals" like you were left alone by everyone else.

You really ought know better than to use derogatory and dehumanizing terms like these to describe those with intellectual disabilities.

Shame on you. :x

Such terms are no more acceptable than using the "N- word" to describe black people. Neither blacks nor those with intellectual disabilities chose to be black or intellectually challenged. Not that there's anything wrong with being either btw.

I hope the moderators take note of some of the derogatory terms being used in this thread.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 2:12 pm

I am surprised and saddened at some of the offensive language used in this thread regarding kids with Downs syndrome. This is also against the WP rules. If I see any more offensive terms used in relation to these kids or used against anyone else there will be sanctions against the posters.

===================
WrongPlanet Rules
===================

Conduct
-----------
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

1. Posting offensive language, comments, video, or images.
Unacceptable content includes swearing; racist, sexist, homophobic language; behavior intended to provoke or belittle other members; violent or sexually demeaning content; sexual fetish; and discussion of excretory function. Posting graphic images or videos of people or animals being harmed is prohibited.