National poll conducted on bullying...results are in

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

04 Oct 2010, 9:21 pm

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/04/n ... ed/?hpt=T2

you might have to cut and paste...if you cant load it up..it is on CNN front page under Anderson coopers blog (ac360)

very insightful, it shows that a large percentage of adults concider it a "minor problem"
what I find very interesting is that a small percentage of teens say they have not been impacted by bullies, nor their friends...gee I wonder if they ARE the bullies.

Well I thought this poll could verify what we aspies already knew but the world is just now starting to address.

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 10:28 pm

i would think the only humans who believe being a bully's victim is no big deal are either bully's themselves are were never tormented by them. i'm with you mr bean......been there.

long ago, in a galaxy far far away, one such victim had an opportunity for a little payback. he took it. risky. clean escape. who say's revenge isn't sweet?

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 4:47 am

I think the problem with bulling is that not only do school faculties not stop bulling, they actualy enforce it. next to asking a question the teacher couldn't answer, "distracting the other students" (i.e. there are too many bullies to punish, we'll just punish the kid they're making fun of and the problem will go away) was the number one reason I got kicked out of classes. Once, I even got a week OSS for "Not removing myself from the situation" (Some bullies where making fun of me for being Obsessive-Compulsive and I went up to them and demanded they apologize).

Another problem is the safe schools act. "I'll kill you" isn't something bullies say, it's something kids who are being bullied say as a kneejerk reaction. the safe schools act prevents kids from handling the problem themselves, and the faculty sure as hell isn't going to be bothered.

I read about a kid who got expelled for punching a bully in the face, though the faculty did nothing when the bully knocked the books out of that kid's hands every day for months straight.

furthermore, when bullies are punished, if they're even punished, it isn't public. my high school principal constantly expected me to take his word that justice had been done. even if he wasn't lying (and he probably was) that really isn't going to stop the 300 other bullies who aren't stupid enough to pick on me right in front of him! MAKE AN EXAMPLE OF THEM!! ! sure it's barbaric, but it ****ing works! let's see some heads on pikes!

...metaphorical pikes, that is.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 5:44 am

Tensu wrote:
I think the problem with bulling is that not only do school faculties not stop bulling, they actualy enforce it. next to asking a question the teacher couldn't answer, "distracting the other students" (i.e. there are too many bullies to punish, we'll just punish the kid they're making fun of and the problem will go away) was the number one reason I got kicked out of classes. Once, I even got a week OSS for "Not removing myself from the situation" (Some bullies where making fun of me for being Obsessive-Compulsive and I went up to them and demanded they apologize).

Another problem is the safe schools act. "I'll kill you" isn't something bullies say, it's something kids who are being bullied say as a kneejerk reaction. the safe schools act prevents kids from handling the problem themselves, and the faculty sure as hell isn't going to be bothered.

I read about a kid who got expelled for punching a bully in the face, though the faculty did nothing when the bully knocked the books out of that kid's hands every day for months straight.

furthermore, when bullies are punished, if they're even punished, it isn't public. my high school principal constantly expected me to take his word that justice had been done. even if he wasn't lying (and he probably was) that really isn't going to stop the 300 other bullies who aren't stupid enough to pick on me right in front of him! MAKE AN EXAMPLE OF THEM!! ! sure it's barbaric, but it ****ing works! let's see some heads on pikes!

I agree, making an example is a good idea.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 5:49 am

I was not bullied but I am hyper empathetic so if I witness it I actually feel the pain as if it was my own. I can't imagine how any rational person could not think it was a problem.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 7:35 am

Tensu wrote:

There are no metaphorical pikes.

Flogging would be a better punishment. 39 strokes with a cat of nine tails.

ruveyn

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

05 Oct 2010, 10:10 am

Tensu....Anderson cooper of CNN is doing a continuous story on bullying...you may want to contact him on what you told us. If anything, you will get some justice if the story goes public.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 11:39 pm

Imagine if a big gym teacher bullied other teachers.

He insulted other teachers. He groped women teachers. He made the math teacher pay him protection money and he shoved an English teacher's head down the toilet.

Is there any difference? Assault is assault whether it is done by a 15 year old student or a 25 year old teacher.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 1:49 am

Wombat wrote:
Imagine if a big gym teacher bullied other teachers.

He insulted other teachers. He groped women teachers. He made the math teacher pay him protection money and he shoved an English teacher's head down the toilet.

Is there any difference? Assault is assault whether it is done by a 15 year old student or a 25 year old teacher.

The answer is clear. Bring the law down on the offender. If that doesn't work, put a contract out on him.

ruveyn

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 2:13 am

So why do you think that schools dont do anything about this???
put in the light of your teacher analogy, I am sure if all that happened to them, the results would be much different.

I personally think it has to do with social programming. A teacher told my mom which kids in her class she was sure was going to end up working at mcdonald's when they grow up and which ones were going to college. This was a third grade teacher. Their fate was determined in third grade...how is this teachers allowing bullies free reign of the schools any different, ever seen a teacher's kid get bullied?

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 12:39 am

jojobean wrote:
I personally think it has to do with social programming. A teacher told my mom which kids in her class she was sure was going to end up working at mcdonald's when they grow up and which ones were going to college. This was a third grade teacher. Their fate was determined in third grade...how is this teachers allowing bullies free reign of the schools any different, ever seen a teacher's kid get bullied?

When I was in fifth grade there were the "good" kids and the "rough" kids.
Sure enough the "good kids" went on to college and got good jobs while the "rough kids" ended up in dead end laboring jobs or in jail.

The insanity of our system is that the government will pay a aide to give one on one attention to Down's Syndrome kids who will never learn to tie their own shoelaces let alone to read and write.

Yet at the same time they will allow thuggish psychopaths to ruin the lives of normal kids.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 12:02 am

in our school, a mostly preppy school...the bullies were the rich folks kid's who could do no wrong in the school's view.

but in most school's...like you said the rough kids end up as dead beats...kinda like the father on married with children.

Monisori school's are really good for one on one with students. Public schools are just fubar-ed. If I ever am insane enough to have a child, I would either homeschool or do monisori, but putting a child through public school is in my view inhumane.

Sslaxx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Oct 2010, 10:53 am

Wombat wrote:
The insanity of our system is that the government will pay a aide to give one on one attention to Down's Syndrome kids who will never learn to tie their own shoelaces let alone to read and write.

Yet at the same time they will allow thuggish psychopaths to ruin the lives of normal kids.

Do be careful about what you say.

It isn't people with Downs Syndrome's fault the way they are, and they certainly have no choice over it.

Bullies have the choice not to be bullies.

I'd be very happy for the government to pay for one-on-one aides for children with Downs Syndrome, and deal with the bullies appropriately.

BPalmer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 8:14 pm

Wombat wrote:
The insanity of our system is that the government will pay a aide to give one on one attention to Down's Syndrome kids who will never learn to tie their own shoelaces let alone to read and write. Yet at the same time they will allow thuggish psychopaths to ruin the lives of normal kids.

Oh, but those useless crayon-eaters are so warm and social, and we Aspies are emotionless sociopaths, right? :puke:

Sslaxx wrote:
It isn't people with Downs Syndrome's fault the way they are, and they certainly have no choice over it.

And it's not our fault we're the way we are, either, and there are only so much resources to go around (especially in the face of a devastating recession and low tax base). That's all.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 10:59 pm

BPalmer wrote:
And it's not our fault we're the way we are, either, and there are only so much resources to go around (especially in the face of a devastating recession and low tax base). That's all.

The difference between Down's kids and Aspies is that we are SMARTER than average, despite whatever social problems we might have.

So why do they get their hand held and their nose wiped while we get our heads shoved down the toilet by Neanderthal bullies?

BPalmer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 11:35 pm

Wombat wrote:
The difference between Down's kids and Aspies is that we are SMARTER than average, despite whatever social problems we might have. So why do they get their hand held and their nose wiped while we get our heads shoved down the toilet by Neanderthal bullies?

Yeah, EXACTLY. Not long ago, I had to endure some mong singing at the top of his lungs in a shopping centre, because if I'd told the obnoxious turd to STFU, everyone would've treated me like I'd murdered a baby with a pickaxe or something!