The Malmö spree shooter identified as aspie

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 1:18 pm

The man arrested on 6 November in Malmö, Sweden, suspected of committing at least 15 spree shootings against random immigrants, killing one and injuring several, has by Aftonbladet, the largest daily newspaper in Sweden, been identified as having Asperger's syndrome.

This is stated here: http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article8087848.ab , on a list of things for and against the suspect being the shooter. Having AS is listed as a "for". This is the piece of text translated from Swedish:

Quote:
Personality
The 38-year old is diagnosed with asperger's and lives an isolated life with the opportunity to hide his deeds. He is describes as an odd figure with a large interest in firearms. And have been seen bicycling alone during the nights by neighbours.

It is also stated here: http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article8087979.ab , in a horrible piece of text. You'll see why I'm pissed about it when you've read it.

Quote:
Did not want to seek medical care

In September last year, a month before the first shooting, the 38-year old filed for sick leave from his job where he had been working in periods for about five years. Since a few years back he had believed that he was suffering from Asperger's. He read all the information he could get his hands on about the disease and bought books which he gave to relatives. When he applied for a job he told the employer he suffered from the disease. "I wanted him to seek medical care, but he said he did not need it and that he could handle himself", his father says. The alleged disease has been taking up more and more of the 38-year old's time.

"He probably had no one to talk to, there was never any talk of a girlfriend. But I know he had a close friend who he used to hang out with sometimes. He was a few years younger and suffered from the same disease as my son", the father says.

It was first in connection to the sick leave that doctors investigated him and made a diagnose.

I am, to say the least, a bit angry. There's a lot more info, albeit not about the AS, but I got too much to do to translate any of it.

Some additional info:
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malm%C3%B6_shootings List of the various shootings
* http://www.thelocal.se/30084/20101108/ Some info in English

Last edited by TechnicalPacifist on 08 Nov 2010, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiran
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Nov 2010, 1:35 pm

when i read about this in the papper today i though: 'great, now everybody is gonna thing i'm an homicidal maniac, how am i supposed to find work now'
I just now people are gonna think all aspies are like that. People just make assumptions.

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 1:39 pm

Yeah. Me too. I first heard this mentioned on another forum, where a couple of guys were talking about why on earth they actually allowed somebody with AS get a gun licence. We don't need any more predjucies, dammit. :!:

Kiran
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Nov 2010, 1:54 pm

one thing that bothers me is that since he is an aspie he might be found 'legally insane' because of his 'decease' and actually get away with it. He's a closeminded, racist murderer and should pay for what he did.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 2:05 pm

my first thought, when i read about it here in denmark when they arrested the guy, was that they would come forward with an asperger Dx any day now... and so at last it came forward.

it is mentioned as one of the strongest arguments that he MUST be the right guy... because of his "illness"

but i have a tiny hunch that he is not the shooter...

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 3:04 pm

Whoever committed these shootings - and I have no reason to think they may not have the right person - is a bigot, a jerk, and worse, terms I can't use according to the TOS. He is also male, white, Swedish, and has Asperger's. All murderers are evil; those who kill for 'racial' reasons are particularly warped. Some of them are female, non-white, many are not Swedish, and most do not have Asperger's. In other words, not every attribute of a person who commits murder has to do with their being a murderer.

I just wish more people would recognise this fundamental truth. Are they running around right now saying, "Oh, no! I'm Swedish, and he was Swedish - I hope I don't find myself suddenly killing anyone!"? Obviously, they're not. Just as obviously, to do so would be absurd. It is just as absurd if you replace the word 'Swedish' with 'an aspie', yet so few people see this. :cry:

It should not, yet it will be used as one more defense for bigotry - ironically, one of the very qualities of the shooter which is linked to his actions. Not that all bigots are killers, but bigotry is significantly more likely to serve as a motive for murder than tolerance. :) The irony makes this especially frustrating, at least to me. If anyone uses this incident as justification for killing an aspie, will anyone make the link then? Yet I certainly hope it doesn't ever go that far, even as I know it already has in other cases. :cry:

What can we do about it? I wish I knew.

One footnote. I've heard of Aftonbladet before - in connection with another bigoted story they published which had nothing to do with Asperger's or autism. I formed a very poor opinion of the quality of their content then. Nothing today has made me change my mind, it has simply provided further confirmation of my opinion. (And, yes, I have heard of confirmation bias... :wink: )

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

Kaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Nov 2010, 4:18 pm

theWanderer wrote:
not every attribute of a person who commits murder has to do with their being a murderer.

I just wish more people would recognise this fundamental truth.

+1 I wish they would too!

157/200 Aspie -- 41/200 NT

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 7:05 pm

The word you have taken offense to in the article, 'sjukdom' doesn't just translate into 'disease'. According to my dictionary it also translates to 'disorder'.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 8:16 pm

15 shootings, one dead, several wounded, not an obsessive type, who would try for a perfect score,

Most likely some drunk who could not shoot well to start with.

They have the wrong guy, I predict the shootings will continue.

Anyone who could do this would be seen. Aspies stand out.

They have no case. Guns are restricted, they have several used bullets, where is the match?

This type of thing is more common in immigrant groups.

Bicycling alone at night? Living an isolated and reserved life, like all other Sweds?

When I discovered Wrong Planet, I spent years there. Yep, that is me.

We are late bloomers, but shooters start early, late teens and early twenties is normal, not something people just start at 38.

Not much news in Malmo.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 8:22 pm

Inventor wrote:
They have the wrong guy, I predict the shootings will continue.

That is certainly possible. I simply don't know enough details of the case to venture an opinion, either way.

If he's innocent, I hope he is set free quickly. If he is guilty, I hope they hang onto him.

Either way, the important thing to me is the way this will be misinterpreted by those already inclined to prejudice against us. Even if he is innocent, and this is quickly proven, how many people will remember that? Not nearly as many as the number who will remember that "some guy with Asperger's" was arrested. And that is a much larger problem, one with a much more elusive solution than the identity of the shooter.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 8:49 am

They've found that one of his guns match bullets from some of the crime scenes, so he probably was the culprit in these shootings, but of cause, serveral of these shootings could actually be gang related, as some suspect. Some suspect that there are actually would be gang related shootings disguised as actions of this shooter or that there would be copycats.
There's a pretty heated and angry debate at Aspie blogs and forums in Sweden and Norway and a lot of people are pissed off.

frag
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 8:59 am

I think still it's handled better by the media than usually. They allow a debate about whether Asperger's can cause murder instead of just assuming it does. In the past, any condition has been seen as cause. I can't but be somewhat optimistic about this new trend.

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 11:51 am

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
The word you have taken offense to in the article, 'sjukdom' doesn't just translate into 'disease'. According to my dictionary it also translates to 'disorder'.

Both Wikipedia, at least one online translator and me myself (Who is, in all honesty, very good at Swedish) translates "sjukdom" to "disease", and the only other possible meaning is sickness/illness. Plus, "disorder" is (I know this for a fact, trust me on this one) is "störning".

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 11:53 am

Why do people get so riled up when AS is called a disease?

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 12:50 pm

Craig28 wrote:

Because it is medically incorrect to name it such?

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 1:12 pm

Craig28 wrote:

is being gay a disease? is being asian a disease? is being a redhead a disease? etc.

so.. being an aspie is no disease either.