The Sparkle effect - special need cheerleaders

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

everyxthing
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Nov 2010, 11:28 pm

The school in Anoka now has special need cheerleaders go watch this video its amazing

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news ... ov-16-2010

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 12:14 am

It seems that the members enjoy it.

But I get a bit of a ambiguous feeling about it. Training things and showing things can make the members really proud and learn things like being in a group and discipline. But for some reason it also feels like 'monkey watching' and being a politically correct school.

Llixgrjb
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Nov 2010, 1:30 am

Astersip and I have similar sentiments. I don't feel my self to be a black-hearted cynic (at least not yet) but I get a sense that the "normal" participants are in it just for personal gain and popularity as teenage cheerleaders are apt to do. It's just something they do so they can pat themselves on the back and bask in the glow of a highly public act of charity. Much like those movie stars who swarm to third world disasters like vultures spurred on by the scent of carrion.

Even if it's more vanity than charity I do find some solace in the fact that someone's life was improved marginally because of it. Should it ultimately matter then whether or not their intentions were genuine?

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 2:24 am

OK, I went to view that with a cynics eye, expecting to see a lot of patronising of the special needs kids, but that is damn cool.
..Being inclusive and accommodating peoples differences instead of shutting them out, I like.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 5:08 am

I have mixed feeling about that video but it's leaning towards negativity. But I'm happy they're happy and feel as they belong.

:::)