Accoring to PETA apergers is caused by meat...

Page 5 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 12:46 am

do you mean going home like in soylent green? i'm all for that.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Dec 2010, 6:50 pm

Pssst....PETA is caused by meat-heads..... :P

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 7:02 pm

MONKEY wrote:
A lot of veggies I met look like anaemic waifs. I think I'll stick with being an omnivore and eat a balanced diet.
You never met me then! I'm a big sturdy girly, with child bearing hips and a bust and bum to match. Apparently my pre Raphelite looks were once considered de rigour for the lady of the hour, and there are blokes who apparently still like the sturdily rotund woman of substance. But this one is definitively veggie. Anemic waif does not describe me, or most vegetarians I've met. I love food. :)

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 7:05 pm

BroncosRtheBest wrote:
There's a difference between animals as a special interest and animals as a main dish. Most Aspies love animals, but we are able to separate the animal from the meat or learn to love that which is not cooked. Personally I prefer the People Eating Tasty Animals route: when I see a cow, I dream of sirloin.
You do realise that's not as clever as it sounds, don't you? As a vegetarian I hear the "people eating tasty animals" comment regularly, usually by people who think it's terribly witty, and not at all a cliché. It's always better, if you can manage it, to devise your own wit, and not regurgitate some decade's old piece of banter.

whitelightning777
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2010, 11:10 pm

Still don't believe me?

.... really ??

.... sure about that ??

http://petakillsanimals.com/

Read this and weep. For the record, humans are omnivors just like bears.

(who enjoy busting into our trash cans because they eat what we do)

A bear can catch a deer, eat venison, raid a beehive and then "borrow" strawberries from some hapless suburbanite all in one day. Of course, a human who consumed such items is labelled as some sort of right wing nut.

I mean, let's assume that some serial killer has broken into your home. As he raises up his gun, he says "I'm gonna kill you, but don't worry I won't EAT you." Would you honestly care about the eating part at that point in time? This is, of course, too difficult for PETA to understand.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 1:38 am

^ I would not say that we are as omnivorous as we believe. We are very similar to the chimp in biological structure, and chimps have meat as only 5% of our diet. We are not like bears at all. We are actually opportunistic omnivores, we are set up for plant digestion but will eat meat at times. But because of our ability to dominate the other animals in our environment, we eat more meat than we are biologically designed to eat. Our dentition, gut and digestive tract is set up for a diet dominated by plant food, with a small amount of meat, like the chimp. Look at this link, and scroll down to where it talks about the chimp's diet.

http://www.honoluluzoo.org/chimpanzee.htm

Taking a break.

whitelightning777
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Dec 2010, 2:05 am

Here's an interesting article.

http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html

They seem to be omnivors as well as we are. Of course, their weapons aren't quite as efficient as those of a caveman. Having said that, they manage to kill many different types of prey items.

For either chimps or ourselves, a vegan diet is unnatural. I should also note that zoos may well be providing the chimps with an unnatural diet far different then what the chimps want themselves.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 2:29 am

I didnt say that chimps aren't omnivores, or that we aren't. I am saying that we, and chimps are opportunistic omnivores. We eat what we can get hold of. But many people can live without meat- 40% of India's population does, and many others in India eat meat infrequently. I know of an Indian man I met who is vegetarian, and his grandfather, who was also vegetarian, lived till 91. So, clearly his diet did that man no harm.

Taking a break.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 8:20 am

zen_mistress wrote:
I didnt say that chimps aren't omnivores, or that we aren't. I am saying that we, and chimps are opportunistic omnivores. We eat what we can get hold of. But many people can live without meat- 40% of India's population does, and many others in India eat meat infrequently. I know of an Indian man I met who is vegetarian, and his grandfather, who was also vegetarian, lived till 91. So, clearly his diet did that man no harm.

I really wouldn't survive on a vegan diet anyways, considering allergies and all. Plus as a counterpoint to the last part. My family eats PLENTY of meat (We don't do much in the way of fried foods, plus most of the meat we eat is in the way of seafood or white meat, plus yeah, plenty of fruits and vegetables along with it) and my great grandparents are still alive other than one who got black lung from coal mining. (96 for the youngest, 102 for the oldest). The only one in a nursing home is my great grandmother who ended up falling down a flight of steps recently. The rest live on their own with minimal assistance. So I am just gonna make the point that your DNA also plays quite a bit into it. Also how the food is prepped matters. We also don't usually go to a supermarket for food, we usually turn to local farmers and the butcher shop. (my area is big on the open range or whatever its called where the livestock aren't all cooped up either.)

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 11:48 pm

People are probably always going to crave meat. It's just something in their DNA. Humans are omnivores, not herbavores. If we can grow individual organs and skin in a lab, I think we could surely grow steaks or something like a steak. People are also too lazy to get this idea off the drawing board.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 1:40 am

I really don't understand the Animal Rights Activist's whole view on humans and meat. So they think it's OK for lions, tigers, and bears to eat meat but when humans do it it's evil and bad for you? That's just an idiotic double standard. Even apes eat meat, and they're closest animal to humans on this planet.

Then again there's eco-terrorists out there who think humans are the cancer of the earth and that the world would be better off if we all went extinct so plants and animals can take over the planet. So I guess with every good intention you have those fanatics who twist the idea around to do more harm then good. Thus is the nature of humanity. :roll:

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 6:56 pm

GreySun369 wrote:
I really don't understand the Animal Rights Activist's whole view on humans and meat. So they think it's OK for lions, tigers, and bears to eat meat but when humans do it it's evil and bad for you? That's just an idiotic double standard. Even apes eat meat, and they're closest animal to humans on this planet.

Then again there's eco-terrorists out there who think humans are the cancer of the earth and that the world would be better off if we all went extinct so plants and animals can take over the planet. So I guess with every good intention you have those fanatics who twist the idea around to do more harm then good. Thus is the nature of humanity. :roll:

well, humanity really does more harm than good. Less babies pl0x

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 9:12 pm

GreySun369 wrote:

The PETA folks are anti-human.

ruveyn

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 10:51 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
People are probably always going to crave meat. It's just something in their DNA. Humans are omnivores, not herbavores. If we can grow individual organs and skin in a lab, I think we could surely grow steaks or something like a steak. People are also too lazy to get this idea off the drawing board.

I dearly wish we could grow steaks in labs! That would make me very happy. I would actually eat it again if this was the case.

Taking a break.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 8:26 am

ruveyn wrote:
GreySun369 wrote:

The PETA folks are anti-human.

ruveyn

I never felt like I was a person. Perhaps this is why I have always been facinated by PETA and the ALF. I've always been one of those "freaks" who puts animals higher than humans.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 10:13 am

PunkyKat wrote:

I never felt like I was a person. Perhaps this is why I have always been facinated by PETA and the ALF. I've always been one of those "freaks" who puts animals higher than humans.

There is nothing wrong with being humane to animals but put your own interests as a human first.

ruveyn