Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 4:48 pm

Maybe you will if you watch this news clip where a whole town saw, and caught one on camera.
Click CC to get English subtitles.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC-J3q4IN7w&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

IMCarnochan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Dec 2010, 5:28 pm

No such things as ghosts, but there is such a thing as light refraction.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 6:11 pm

Nambo wrote:
Maybe you will if you watch this news clip where a whole town saw, and caught one on camera.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC-J3q4IN7w&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Why a ghost? Why not an alien? Why not a monster? Why not an angel? Why not ball lightening? Why not an artifact of the lens system? Why not a prankster?

I'll tell you why. Most hispanic cultures harbor very strong superstitions, and one of the most prevalent is one about a crying ghost woman, called La Llorona.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 12:42 am

aka Banshee? :p

I don't "believe" per se, in ghosts, but i'm still leaving the door open, just in case. :>

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 1:15 am

you know what shakespear said about there being more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in the philosophies of the "here and now" types.

sillycat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2010, 1:33 am

I'll tell you why. Most hispanic cultures harbor very strong superstitions, and one of the most prevalent is one about a crying ghost woman, called La Llorona.[/quote]

Obviously you haven't experience the ignorance of Rural Asian cultures. They actually think people deserve to me mentally ill, physically deformed, Autistic, poor, and homeless, because they acculumated bad Karma in pervious live times. (example, a mentally ret*d (context: slow development), deserves to be that way because they perhaps squandered a good mind in a past life on hedonism. (If this is true, my dad is in deeeeep s**t, He drinks excessively).Asian Ghosts are vengeful, mean spirited.... In Indo Asia (I forget which country, they believe in disembodied boobs called Bou-Bou, which gives you a fatal facial). In Japan, prostitute ghosts wander around, murdered chicks, disfigured chicks and naturally they target men. There are videos of Chinese Taoists in Singapore on Youtube. Who medidate infront the graves of total strangers... How EWWWWWW. they do this to commune with the sprit, and thus, get a gllimps of hell."
Doctors couldn't operate on Mohammad Suharto former president of Indonesia, because he had so many strange "Muslim-Voodoo" artifacts embedded in his body...Some very very sharp.....

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 2:51 am

in the wizard of oz, the cowardly lion said, "i DO believe in spooks! i DO believe in spooks! i DO i DO i DO i DO i DO i DO i DO!" when i walked out of the theatre showing "the exorcist" way back when, i felt the same way.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 8:59 am

It can be possible. I lost my grandfather several years ago and talk to him still as if he's still around. So far I haven't seen this ghost. A woman told me that her deceased father called her on her phone during the night. She could have been dreaming or maybe he did indeed called.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 12:18 pm

Nambo wrote:

no. just.... no. that's a f***ing lens flare. cell phone cameras have different lens designs than older, larger cameras.

ffs, watch the small light, which is obviously a lens flare, that is right by the streetlight. look at the way the "ghost" is curved. the concave side always faces the light, the convex side always faces away. this is even more painfully obvious as the "ghost" is seen on the other side of the light.

the most annoying part of working in a film lab was listening to superstitious people drone on and on about "wow! there's a ghost in my picture!" and not laughing in their faces.

if you want to believe that's a ghost, close your eyes and press lightly on them with your fingers for about 30 seconds. omg! ghosts! your face is haunted! call the news!! !! !! !

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 12:23 pm

auntblabby wrote:
you know what shakespear said about there being more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in the philosophies of the "here and now" types.

paraphrased as: "we don't know everything."

i agree with the sentiment. however, there are plenty of things that are observed, rather than "dreamt," by those "here and now" types. lens flares are f***ing rad and awesome in and of themselves. i see no reason to paint a golden statue yellow.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 1:40 pm

There are no ghosts.

ruveyn

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 2:13 am

smarter folk than me have said that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. nobody alive can know for a fact that there is nothing beyond the physical universe.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 12:01 pm

auntblabby wrote:
smarter folk than me have said that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. nobody alive can know for a fact that there is nothing beyond the physical universe.

QFT

However I am quite skeptical of that video... Something about it just doesn't feel right. Story sounds a bit too familiar(in regards to fake ghost videos). Video portions are too unclear, movements of said specter appear mechanical and out of synch with video(don't know what is up with the noise), stills are unclear also(figure looks too much like ghost Ring girl; a common copy and paste fake).
Dude needs a better camera. Cellphone cameras don't cut it for this sort of thing. Too low resolution, and their tiny image sensor is prone to artifacting in low light.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 1:47 pm

Zara wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

QFT

However I am quite skeptical of that video... Something about it just doesn't feel right. Story sounds a bit too familiar(in regards to fake ghost videos). Video portions are too unclear, movements of said specter appear mechanical and out of synch with video(don't know what is up with the noise), stills are unclear also(figure looks too much like ghost Ring girl; a common copy and paste fake).
Dude needs a better camera. Cellphone cameras don't cut it for this sort of thing. Too low resolution, and their tiny image sensor is prone to artifacting in low light.

"the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence" but it is the absence of evidence.

the stills don't correspond to the video at all. the video shows a lens flare. so we are left with "the absence of evidence" of a ghost and the evidence that we do have is a lens flare.

the video is of a streetlamp, taken by a crappy cellphone-camera that pans. as the lens turns, the lens flare moves. when the lens stops moving, the lens flare stops. there is a corresponding effect on the other side of the streetlamp, as well.

you might as well show this picture:

as proof of the existence of bigfoot.

edit: "Cellphone cameras don't cut it for this sort of thing." <-if he had been using a decent sized lens, he probably wouldn't have gotten such a "ghosty" image.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 2:26 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Such an assumption leads to propositions that contradict facts. If you accept that there are no contradictions then you will deny the supernatural. Everything that exists is natural although not necessarily solid. For example electromagnetic fields exist and are natural but they are not solid.

ruveyn

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 3:29 pm

There is probably a spiritual realm that co-exists with our own. I used to live in a very old apartment building that I strongly believe was haunted.