Teacher fired for calling her students "lazy whiners&qu

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 12:46 pm

http://www.rgj.com/article/20110216/HOT/110216033

It does seem that the quality of young people has gone way down in the last 15-20 years or so. It must be frustrating for the teachers.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 1:05 pm

Already been posted. The thread is called "Be careful what you post online" and she was suspended, hasn't been fired yet, only suspended with pay and she is fighting to keep her job.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 1:12 pm

It's begs the question; Are teacher's free speech rights limited? If so, why should they be?

You hear about teachers being suspended and fired for rather silly things, venting(no surprise, I imagine the job is incredibly stressful), because they are gay, because they have a sex life, because they had some erotic photos taken ages ago... and students with nothing better to do dig these things up and create "drama"(because teenagers love drama) and to some it is a wet dream to get a teacher fired.

If a student writes out nasty criticism of an instructor on a blog or facebook, do they get suspended? Nope. Because it is assumed to be free speech. If a teacher criticizes her students(without naming them) on a blog, it's suddenly no longer free speech. This does not make sense.

I see no reason why this teacher needs to suspended. I know it doesn't look good on the school, but... It's not a fire-able offense. She didn't identify any of her students and it was just a vent. The school can just tell her not to write about her students anymore, and be done with it.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 1:25 pm

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/t ... ation.html

Some of the comments she wrote. Students noted on the comments that she seemed to have a bad attitude and constantly tried to sabotage her students. I had a couple HS instructors like that, but they were older than dirt and had been around the school for 20-30 years, and were burned out. This woman only had been teaching for FOUR YEARS! That's an awful short time to get burned out.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

19 Feb 2011, 1:30 pm

pezar wrote:
http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/the_intelligencer/the_intelligencer_news_details/article/2504/2011/february/09/cb-east-teacher-suspended-for-blog-investigation.html

Some of the comments she wrote. Students noted on the comments that she seemed to have a bad attitude and constantly tried to sabotage her students. I had a couple HS instructors like that, but they were older than dirt and had been around the school for 20-30 years, and were burned out. This woman only had been teaching for FOUR YEARS! That's an awful short time to get burned out.

You don't have to be "burned out" to observe when people are acting like lazy whiners.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 2:54 pm

Sorry, but I think she deserves to be sacked.

I think it's stupid to post derogatory comments about your work online in general, but as a teacher, she was in a privileged position; she was entrusted to set an example to the kids and was in a position of power over them. Just as I would have no respect for a doctor who posted comments about his or her patients, no matter how obnoxious they were, I have very little sympathy for her.

If you want to vent, do it to your friends at the pub, or write in a diary. Don't b***h so the world (and its parents) can read it!

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

19 Feb 2011, 6:56 pm

Teachers calling anybody else lazy whiners, oh brother... :roll:

I sincerely doubt her union will allow her to be fired. She'll essentially get a free paid vacation for this.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 7:48 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Already been posted. The thread is called "Be careful what you post online" and she was suspended, hasn't been fired yet, only suspended with pay and she is fighting to keep her job.

I could've sworn I started a thread with a similar title.

But in any case this is a really stupid reason to get fired considering that I've heard plenty of teachers and professors tell the students to their faces what whiners they are in high school and college and teacher would never say anything bad about a student unless they deserved it.

I also noticed in the article that she was pregnant during the incident. Teachers are usually at their shittiest towards students when they're pregnant as I can say from personal observation.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

20 Feb 2011, 8:11 am

I have no idea how this is even legal.
Are you allowed free speech except if you're a teacher?
8O

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 1:00 pm

"Free speech" only means the government can't restrict what you say.

If they school felt she was acting in an unprofessional manner in public, it was inevitable that they were going to sack her. It's the same as if she got drunk at a bar, made an ass of herself, and was unfortunate enough to have been observed doing so by her boss. Teachers are supposed to be public servants, and when you are a public servant you are expected to set an example.

Personally, I don't understand why people feel the need to post their every thought on Facebook. Stop airing your dirty laundry on a public website and you won't have this problem.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 2:04 pm

This wasn't on Facebook. It was a blog which she thought was private because she didn't think anyone would find it. And she was the one who always told her students "be careful what you put online" and now it's pot calling the kettle black.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 6:27 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

If the school is public it is a branch of the government.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 9:27 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

I'm sorry...where does the salary of teachers come from?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 11:25 pm

ikorack wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Not relevant. If the same teacher walked into the principal's office and told him to, "go @#$&% himself," she would most likely be fired. You can legally say what you like, but that doesn't mean there won't be consequences for your "free speech." And I work for the government too and I'm not allowed to say whatever I want either. "Free speech" refers to the fact the government can't make a law forbidding you from insulting the president and whatnot. It has nothing to do with whether or not a teacher should be able to act in an unprofessional manner in public.

Quote:
I'm sorry...where does the salary of teachers come from?

My hard-earned tax money.

Quote:
This wasn't on Facebook. It was a blog which she thought was private because she didn't think anyone would find it. And she was the one who always told her students "be careful what you put online" and now it's pot calling the kettle black.

Ah. My bad. I thought I had read "facebook" somewhere in that article.

Anyway, I agree. It's very silly.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 3:31 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
ikorack wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Not relevant. If the same teacher walked into the principal's office and told him to, "go @#$&% himself," she would most likely be fired. You can legally say what you like, but that doesn't mean there won't be consequences for your "free speech." And I work for the government too and I'm not allowed to say whatever I want either. "Free speech" refers to the fact the government can't make a law forbidding you from insulting the president and whatnot. It has nothing to do with whether or not a teacher should be able to act in an unprofessional manner in public.

No very relevant, she didn't say such things at her school she said them at home, and while it was on the internet it was intended to be private, she didn't even use the names of students, which is I think a sign of professionalism even in her private life where she should be able to do as she pleases. She voiced her opinion which she is entitled to and she did so without slandering any student in particular. aka she harmed no student, which is really all a teacher should have to worry about.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 1:03 am

It sounds like the teacher is the one who happens to be the lazy slob.