Texas movie theater makes an example (and a PSA) of a

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 12:18 am

texting audience member

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookou ... 25090.html

And she told them in voice mail she is never coming back to their theater and they were happy to hear that.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 12:59 am

I used to see movies there at the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin. Good to know they're still doing business, and doing it their way.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 2:26 am

What I find interesting is she said she was using it as a flashlight to find her seat and then she was texting. Someone in the comments called it a contradiction. I can't remember which site it was on, the Alamo site or the link I posted. I don't see how that was a contradiction. Do people actually think someone can't do both those things? Even few others have said something about it in the link I posted in their comments but didn't say the word.

I never knew people text in theaters. Either I had never noticed or I don't go to them enough. I don't go to them because the tickets are too expensive.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 4:02 am

That would be annoying to have someone in the movie theater texting with their phones light on. I want to watch the movie not notice people texting.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

09 Jun 2011, 4:25 pm

I heard about this story on the radio yesterday. That's genius for the theater to use her call as a PSA!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 1:03 am

When I go to the movies, that's what I go to see, so why would I concern myself over whether someone else is texting?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 1:47 am

Reading the comments, it turns out the angry caller was a 12 year old girl. I wonder how they knew her age? Maybe that person knows the manager personally and he told that person?

Also I learned that "No talking on your cellphone" also implies no texting and I felt peeved when they said "it's common sense" well I guess I am not the only one who takes things literal. I never realized texting distracts people because of the lit up screen and it's so obvious to people behind them and in front of them and anywhere in the theater. Wow are the cell phones screens that bright?

I guess I am an idiot too for not knowing this lol. Also I bet people view me as an idiot when I don't use my "common sense" because I take things literal. I guess this girl was only told she couldn't talk on her cell phone so she text instead. They never said anything about texting so she did it. Now lot of people are saying what an idiot she is "for not using her common sense."

But sometimes I do wonder if I am just an idiot. Sometimes I wonder if stupidity actually exists or if it's just made up by people. I have noticed that when people have absurd ideas or beliefs people don't agree with or do things they don't like, they say they are stupid. Same as when people "do stupid things" it's because they are "stupid" than thinking they may have a mental condition so it impairs their logic and cognition. My old aspie friend says he thinks 1/4 of the American population is close to being mentally ret*d. He thinks that many people have low IQs so they do stupid things. But we wouldn't know because they all look like normal people so we throw the word "stupid" around because we assume they are normal people. Same as when we hear about it in the media, we assume that person was normal.

Then I sometimes wonder what if we are just stupid and we had to make things into mental disorders. Back in the days those people were called stupid and now we have all these labels for things and now stupid is an insult. What if some things I do is just due to stupidity such as being literal and nothing to do with AS?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 2:30 am

League_Girl wrote:
Also I learned that "No talking on your cellphone" also implies no texting and I felt peeved when they said "it's common sense" well I guess I am not the only one who takes things literal?

"No talking on your cellphones" in a place like a cinema really means "Don't use your cellphone".

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 3:28 am

Tequila wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Also I learned that "No talking on your cellphone" also implies no texting and I felt peeved when they said "it's common sense" well I guess I am not the only one who takes things literal?

"No talking on your cellphones" in a place like a cinema really means "Don't use your cellphone".

Wow I didn't know that, thanks.

ElfMusic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jun 2011, 10:57 am

As someone who has been to the Alamo Draught Houses since the first one opened in downtown Austin, many of the facts the woman claims on the voicemail are simply lies, and some of the commenters are getting facts wrong.

1. Concerning the commenters saying she was 12. The Alamo wouldn't even let her in if she was 12, except for very specific showings for classic kids' movies, and Tuesday morning showings for families with infants- they serve beer at most of their showings, and so they're 18 and up only.

2. Concerning using her cellphone as a flashlight: B.S. Real food is served inside the Alamo by waitstaff, so there is enough tracklighting for the waitstaff to serve people, so there is definitely no need for a flashlight to find her seat.

3. Every showing at the Alamo is preceded by an announcement not to talk or text, and they have done so for years.

4. Alamo usually gives people a verbal warning before just throwing her out, so evidently, she gave them attitude when they first told her to stop. The Alamo states that they already warned her twice.

Aspie tendencies are to be (sometimes brutally) honest and to assume that the rules apply as much to us as everyone else. To many NTs, lying comes easily and these same NTs assume they can use their social skills to get special treatment. The caller strikes me as a spoiled-rotten sorority girl type who is used to getting her way (smile and look cute to get out of traffic ticket), and from the responses to the PSA, it seems that most cinephiles agree that kicking her out only improves the viewing experience.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

10 Jun 2011, 11:47 pm

I am a very bad movie goer cause I am impulsive and usually talk to the charcters on the screen...but luckily for most movie fans, I like the confort of my own home watching a DVD where I CAN talk to the characters on the screen.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 3:55 am

ElfMusic wrote:
2. Concerning using her cellphone as a flashlight: B.S. Real food is served inside the Alamo by waitstaff, so there is enough tracklighting for the waitstaff to serve people, so there is definitely no need for a flashlight to find her seat

The waitstaff serves food in the auditorium?

This sounds like an eccentric movie theater than any normal one I have been too. As someone who has been late to movies, it's been hard to find an empty seat in the theater because it be too dark in there. So we have to wait until the auditorium lit up from the movie when it got bright so we could find an empty seat. And of course I have seen a few families use a flash light and it has distracted me from the movie. But I didn't let it bother me and I just went back to the movie.