Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

14 Jul 2011, 3:28 pm

My mom and I have a debate going on. She believes that a large amount of the american population 30 percent or more, live their lives according to what group they are in and each group wears certain colors. Not just gangs but every major racial group and religious groups as well. She thinks that if people are not mindful of these colors then folks can get other groups upset...example wearing a white t-shirt can upset the black population, but wearing a brown shirt with grey pants can upset the white population. Wearing blue can upset republicans and wearing red can upset dems. I say that people dont really care that much what other wear unless you are in a gang, she seems to think it is a potentially life threatening event to get dressed not knowing who you are offending.

Please tell me what you think in all honesty, even aspie honesty if you must.

Jojo

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 3:34 pm

Do people tend to stay in their own racial group? Yes.

Do white shirts piss off black people? I doubt it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 3:37 pm

You know, I've never given that notion a moment's thought, with the exception of noting that Hasidic Jews dress in black. But what do I know? I have the fashion sense of an Aspie.
But I will make this observation - never once have I seen a red state Republican wearing a red suit. :lol:

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 5:35 pm

Hmm... I've never known of anyone to find a white shirt to be offensive and don't know why they would. Unless it was a long white shirt with a big pointy hood, that happened to look a lot like a KKK outfit, in that case I could understand the concern, haha. I've never been upset by any clothing colors personally, but I do know of people who freak out when someone wears a lot of black clothes. I've had some people ask me why I wear a lot of black, and I've told them the truth: that I like the way black clothes look on me and I find the color to be soothing. Maybe they were expecting me to say "because I'm demonically possessed and I eat children", but nah. :)

72sprint
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jul 2011, 5:42 pm

I think the only ones who care about clothing colors are gang members and super die hard sports fans.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 5:54 pm

jojobean wrote:
My mom and I have a debate going on. She believes that a large amount of the american population 30 percent or more, live their lives according to what group they are in and each group wears certain colors. Not just gangs but every major racial group and religious groups as well. She thinks that if people are not mindful of these colors then folks can get other groups upset...example wearing a white t-shirt can upset the black population, but wearing a brown shirt with grey pants can upset the white population. Wearing blue can upset republicans and wearing red can upset dems. I say that people dont really care that much what other wear unless you are in a gang, she seems to think it is a potentially life threatening event to get dressed not knowing who you are offending.

Jojo

Utter and complete nonsense.

ruveyn

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 7:08 pm

There is cognitive dissonance between your mothers thoughts and reality.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 5:19 pm

jojobean wrote:

Jojo

If she means that wearing certain colors will provoke groups because of conscious branding ( like the Red and Blue for the Bloods and the Crips) thats patently absurd.

Now-if you're a man (regardless of race, religion, or creed) and you arrive at work one day wearing a plaid shirt with a pair of plaid pants you can forget about ever getting a raise or a promotion. But no one's gonna shoot you. Put you in an institution maybe. But not shoot you.
So fashion does count. But not the way your mom says it does.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 9:12 pm

72sprint wrote:
I think the only ones who care about clothing colors are gang members and super die hard sports fans.

Agreed.