Tufted Titmouse

21 Aug 2011, 8:52 pm

He works on the ABC news. Check it out.

His name is bigfoot.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 10:07 pm

There is no valid material evidence to support any claim of clairvoyance or any other alleged "psychic" ability.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2011, 6:38 am

lillyanne wrote:

His name is bigfoot.

You are going to have to post a link as I have no idea how to find such a thing, or show directions on how to get to it.

@Fnord, there is no evidence to support any claim disproving psychic abilities either...simply saying they do not exist is not good enough ;)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 8:57 am

Sparhawke wrote:
@Fnord, there is no evidence to support any claim disproving psychic abilities either...simply saying they do not exist is not good enough ;)

That is "Argument Form Ignorance" - the false assumption that if a claim can not be disproven, then it must be valid. This is fool's logic. Are you a fool?

The non-existence of a thing can never be proven. Only it's existence. So, either psychic ability is real and the supporting evidence is being deliberately concealed by a global conspiracy of believers, or psychic ability is merely a popular myth, and there is no supporting evidence to be found. The simplest answer is usually the correct one.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 11:08 am

When flipping a coin, I call it right, half the time.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 2:02 pm

lillyanne wrote:

His name is bigfoot.

Who is "he"?

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2011, 4:06 pm

this thread is confusing.

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 5:09 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
lillyanne wrote:

His name is bigfoot.

Who is "he"?

Obviously you'd know if you had psychic powers.

Sparhawke wrote:
@Fnord, there is no evidence to support any claim disproving psychic abilities either...simply saying they do not exist is not good enough Wink

Actually, there is plenty of evidence to disprove it. All psychic ability seems to vanish under test conditions, with psychics producing results no different from guesswork. I admit this doesn't prove there are NO psychics, but I've never seen a unicorn either. Does that mean unicorns exist?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 6:47 pm

lillyanne wrote:

His name is bigfoot.

The clairavoyant, or the killer?
Which is one is the "he" we are supposed to check out?

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 1:57 pm

lillyanne wrote:

His name is bigfoot.

This guy?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 6:13 am

Jono wrote:
lillyanne wrote:

His name is bigfoot.

This guy?

Famous pic....surely by now somebody has analysed the image in zoom and worked out it's a monkey suite?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 6:14 am

Thom_Fuleri wrote:
Actually, there is plenty of evidence to disprove it. All psychic ability seems to vanish under test conditions, with psychics producing results no different from guesswork. I admit this doesn't prove there are NO psychics, but I've never seen a unicorn either. Does that mean unicorns exist?

A true psychic avoids scrutiny lest they become the property of the NSA or CIA.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 2:28 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Jono wrote:
lillyanne wrote:

His name is bigfoot.

This guy?

Famous pic....surely by now somebody has analysed the image in zoom and worked out it's a monkey suite?

Its been analyzed by experts who have concluded that its a man in a gorilla suite.
And its been analyzed by experts who have conclded that it could not be a man in a gorilla suite. Both types are quite convincing.

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 5:35 pm

cyberdad wrote:
A true psychic avoids scrutiny lest they become the property of the NSA or CIA.

Ah, the "No True Scotsman" fallacy. I'm not entirely sure if you're serious or not.

I'd like to point out that a true psychic would be able to avoid the NSA/CIA, or more likely end up running them.
I'd also like to point out that you could only be aware of the existence of true psychics if they have failed to avoid scrutiny, which rather belies their psychic ability. You should have seen that coming.

Oh, and the Bigfoot photo - I'm calling fake. It's the most likely explanation. Though some people still think aliens make crop circles...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 5:30 am

Thom_Fuleri wrote:
I'd like to point out that a true psychic would be able to avoid the NSA/CIA, or more likely end up running them.

Interesting point, perhaps they already do?

Thom_Fuleri wrote:
I'd also like to point out that you could only be aware of the existence of true psychics if they have failed to avoid scrutiny, which rather belies their psychic ability. You should have seen that coming.

My understanding of alleged psychic powers is that the users are not in full control of their apparent abilities. Even those who financially exploit their abilities (Jonathan Edward) are not able to get a full picture, more like bits and pieces. I'm still waiting for the Sceptics society to debunk Edwards but nobody seems to have the guts.

Thom_Fuleri wrote:
Though some people still think aliens make crop circles...

A few years ago a group claimed and successfully convinced the media they are responsible for all the crop circles in the UK and USA. Given the variety, speed at which they appear and apparent reports of complexity it seems an extraordinary amount of effort to make a temporary pattern in somebodies cornfield for no financial gain. I'm not 100% convinced they are all fake.

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 11:30 am

cyberdad wrote:
My understanding of alleged psychic powers is that the users are not in full control of their apparent abilities. Even those who financially exploit their abilities (Jonathan Edward) are not able to get a full picture, more like bits and pieces. I'm still waiting for the Sceptics society to debunk Edwards but nobody seems to have the guts.

There are so many "psychics" out there that debunking them would take a long time. Besides which, truth and rational enquiry seldom get as much press attention as good PR; if he *was* debunked, we may never hear of it.

Quote:
Thom_Fuleri wrote:
Though some people still think aliens make crop circles...

A few years ago a group claimed and successfully convinced the media they are responsible for all the crop circles in the UK and USA. Given the variety, speed at which they appear and apparent reports of complexity it seems an extraordinary amount of effort to make a temporary pattern in somebodies cornfield for no financial gain. I'm not 100% convinced they are all fake.

I find it hard to believe that one group made them all. I do not find it hard to believe that other groups/individuals also make them.
And financial gain is not the only reason for doing something - far from it!