Ind. schools no longer required to teach cursive handwriting

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 5:22 pm

Unfortunately I don't have an article link at the moment but it's all over tumblr when I typed "Indiana" in the word search. Ironically I was practicing cursive handwriting as far back as 1st grade but I was not formally taught it till 3rd grade.

Any thoughts on this?

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 5:35 pm

no big loss to the world really. Cursive is downright annoying. :)

JohnOldman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jul 2011, 5:37 pm

Well, I'd say it's no good to see cursive go. I prefer cursive for note-taking, and for letter writing... but the way those things are done in society at large is via a computer, in our times. I've taught myself some more elegant 1900's forms of cursive --- Spencerian for English and Sütterlin for German. The fact that I learned D'Nealian back in elementary school my have helped there, but perhaps what the elementary school kids need more than cursive is touch-typing?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 5:45 pm

I feel glad to see it go. I write with my left hand, though, so I never got very good training and my printing always looked better since it didn't get as smeared.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 7:10 pm

All my teachers always said "if you can't write in cursive, I don't want to try and read it".

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 7:18 pm

Yet another graceful art gone by the boards.

ruveyn

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 7:53 pm

I had a terrible time with cursive writing. My cursive is straight up, huge and messy. I have also preferred printing to handwriting.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 8:14 pm

I find cursive faster to write and more elegant to read.
Schools have already cut out so much....now they can't even be bothered to teach one of the "three Rs"?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

07 Jul 2011, 8:57 pm

Well, I guess there isn't much real world use for cursive anymore and learning to type does. I've always preferred cursive myself, much faster for me. A lot of teachers preferred for students to write in print tho later on since it's easier for them to read.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 9:38 pm

Well, I live in Panama, Central Amerixa, so that does not apply here. My daughter is requested to write papers by hand (painful, because it takes her a looong time), and she uses calligraphy notebooks for all the subjects she takes (about 12). The school emphatizes handwriting. The good thing is my daughter took intetest in calligraphy for the first time in 6 years, and she is trying to improve her handwriting. She is still slow, but her writing looks beautiful. My Aspie husband cried when saw notebooks with her new handwriting.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 10:17 pm

I love cursive writing. It's easier for me to write than it is for me to print.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 10:23 pm

I forgot to mention that reading cursive is a challenge for me. I usually have to ask someone else to read it for me.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

07 Jul 2011, 10:57 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
I forgot to mention that reading cursive is a challenge for me. I usually have to ask someone else to read it for me.

me 2, expecially my mom's cause she does not fully form her letters and it looks like a bunch of squigglies all over the page

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 10:58 pm

^ which is why its so annoying imo. It can look as elegant as it can be.. its still annoying to figure out.

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2011, 3:02 am

No big loss at all with new technology taking over the world. Who really needs to learn old fashioned cursive writing? I personally can not even read cursive writing let alone write it.

Why learn cursive writing that can not be easily deciphered? Computers make writing so much easier. A grammar/spell check can be easily conducted on most MS Word programs.

Text messaging on a cell phone is a more useful skill than writing letters in cursive writing.

Last edited by Dark_Lord_2008 on 08 Jul 2011, 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 3:50 am

If only all schools followed suit. My school was so obsessed with teaching me cursive when I couldn't even print each letter legibly. They put me down on a regular basis and even told me my work looked like 'chicken scratch'. I lost a lot of self esteem because of cursive handwriting :(