Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 10:22 pm

I'm pretty Liberal,but I live in an area with bears,they ate all my raspberries one night.It looked like someone drove a four-wheeler thru the patch.I'm not going to shoot a bear over berries,but if they are trying to kill livestock the farmer really has no choice.You can trap and relocate but who would wait till after they killed the pigs?Bee-Keepers have problems with bears here and they trap and release.
Black Bears have even gotten into houses here,they are usually harmless and shy but I do know a few people who have had bad encounters.
Ordinarily I'm pro-animal,but I also have common sense.
But I am sorry for the bear and cubs.

Stone_Man
Toucan
Toucan

14 Nov 2012, 11:33 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I'm pretty Liberal,but I live in an area with bears,they ate all my raspberries one night.It looked like someone drove a four-wheeler thru the patch.I'm not going to shoot a bear over berries,but if they are trying to kill livestock the farmer really has no choice.You can trap and relocate but who would wait till after they killed the pigs?Bee-Keepers have problems with bears here and they trap and release.
Black Bears have even gotten into houses here,they are usually harmless and shy but I do know a few people who have had bad encounters.
Ordinarily I'm pro-animal,but I also have common sense.
But I am sorry for the bear and cubs.

With all due respect to your raspberries, I will point out again that this was a grizzly, not a black bear, and that there are legitimate reasons to be skeptical about this situation.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 5:42 am

If the bear went after his pigs (which I believe I read in my short skim of the article) then he was perfectly in the right to shoot it. Sure, there was probably a better way to handle the situation, but we don't always think of those better ways in time.

You will reap what you've sown.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 8:42 am

I don't see what the big broo-ha-ha is here.

We've got laws. We've got court systems. Law enforcement's job is to question whether a law may have been broken. The courts are there to answer the question. They're both doing their jobs here. The question hasn't yet been answered, but some here (on both sides of the issue) are drawing conclusions without access to all the evidence.

This is why politics in general brings out the apathy in me. Getting involved in the arguments, to me, is like swimming in a sea of squids pulling in every direction. Sometimes I stand on the shore and watch for a bit, then just shake my head and walk away. The vast majority of these arguments never change anyone's minds, accomplishing nothing.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 10:04 am

The State of New Jersey (where I live) has been vexed and overrun by black bears who raid the trash and garbage dumpsters and can for provender. I applaud every bear killing I hear about. If all the bears in the world disappeared tomorrow nothing would be subtracted from our lives.

We need the birds to eat bugs, but bears have no use to humans.

ruveyn

Stone_Man
Toucan
Toucan

15 Nov 2012, 12:46 pm

abacacus wrote:
If the bear went after his pigs (which I believe I read in my short skim of the article) then he was perfectly in the right to shoot it. Sure, there was probably a better way to handle the situation, but we don't always think of those better ways in time.

The key word being "if".

I will say it one more time ... based on my knowledge of these animals, I am highly skeptical. I think there is just as good a chance that this was someone who wanted to shoot the bear anyway, and when caught concocted this as his reason.

We will never know for sure.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 1:08 pm

ruveyn wrote:
The State of New Jersey (where I live) has been vexed and overrun by black bears who raid the trash and garbage dumpsters and can for provender. I applaud every bear killing I hear about. If all the bears in the world disappeared tomorrow nothing would be subtracted from our lives.

We need the birds to eat bugs, but bears have no use to humans.

ruveyn

A black bear that has been foraging on wild berries will have good meat on it.