What do you remember from September 11?

Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 7:12 am

Regardless of where you were in the world, what do you remember about Septemeber 11? Where were you? What were you doing? How did you find out?

I had decided to not let my kids watch any TV that day (they had been watching too much) so the TV was not on. It was a primary election day in NYC (I still have my Sept 11 voter's guide). I had overslepted that morning so I didn't vote, and my husband had to get himself to work (late). It was an amazingly beautiful day, weather-wise.

Then a lady I know called me hysterically telling me to turn on the TV. I did but there was no reception (we didn't have cable and the antenna had been on the towers). So it was just a fuzzy screen. She kept screaming that 2 planes had flown into the trade center-- I kept imagining very small planes like cessnas. I kept asking her to repeat herself over and over again because I couldn't process it.

Then I started pacing around the house and realized my husband's train goes directly under the trade center (they had evacuated the tunnels by that point but I didn't know that). Then I really began to worry, I called his cell phone and heard it ring in the kitchen-- he had forgotten it. So I kept pacing and he walked in the door around 10am-- they had grounded all the ferries so he had never gone to work. He told me he saw the second tower hit, from across the water.

And for the rest of the day I just heard sirens all day long because we live near a hospital. There was a smell of burnt plastic and vomit in the air.

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 8:15 am

I was in Milan in a movie theatre. When the film ended, I found that somebody had installed a TV near the cashiers. Some people looking. At first i thought it was a SF. Then I understood with some effort. I went home and I said to my janitor, a nice srilankan boy: "after this they will check also our nostrils". I was under eviction from the house in which I had inhabited for 40 years, so I was already tense and I missed a step, fell and fractured my right foot before the srilankan boy.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 8:54 am

paolo wrote:
so I was already tense and I missed a step, fell and fractured my right foot before the srilankan boy.

Omg!! ! 8O :cry:

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 9:17 am

i don't really care. if i lived in new york i wouldn't really care either. im just not that attached to tragic events that happen in the world. i think the media has alot to add to all the "where were you on septemeber 11th syndrome" and if you don't feel it you're either a terrorist, or are unpatriotic :?

Corcovado
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 9:29 am

I came home in the afternoon and turned on the tv. I saw Manhattan burning and the text 'USA at war'. I thougt it was a film or an documentary about an eventual attack on USA in the future.

Then I realised it was for real and at first I thougt New York had ben bombed by planes who drop bombs, and I thought 'How on earth did they do that? And what country?'

It took a while before I understood the whole scenario with the airplanes flying into buildings, and still later I realised there were people in the airplanes as they torpedoed the towers.

Then things went from bad to worse when I saw the towers colaps.
I was reminded of those catatstrophy movies Hollywood is so fund of making.

Unfortunately some people here had the viewpoint that USA deserved it. 'They had it coming' a neighbour said. Because of USA's foreign policy. That shocked me a lot. These were innocent people! It was such an evil thing to do. Nobody desereves that.

So you live in New York en_una_isla? So you've experienced this so much nearer to home and close up. Wow, that cannot have been a nice experience. So glad your husband made it. And you!

alex
Developer
Developer

10 Sep 2006, 9:35 am

I was in French class. We had just finished watching the morning news on the television and when it shut off, we saw the twin towers with holes in them. We wondered what was up so we continued to watch.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 11:02 am

I was at home (living with my mum before I went off to uni two weeks after) just watching some mundane chat show, eating junk food, feeling sluggish. Then it was cut off and all I saw was the twin towers and then the second plane smashing into one of the towers (we didn't see the first plane smash into them). It made us all feel really anxious as it hadn't really sunk in what was going on. And then it did.

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 11:13 am

I was coming home from college, or before going to college, or on a day off from college. Anyways, I was coming in from the front door and turned on the television. to see planes crashing. hollered for my son. we watched. I guess we turned to live news after the first hit and before the second hit-because we watched the second not on the evening news but, you know, when it was going on. It sucked. Just the other day they aired some messed up program showing the people jumping.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 12:48 pm

I watched it on the news before I went to school. I didn't even know there were such towers. :lol: Now when I watch old movies before 2001 that show a view of New York, I say "The twin towers aren't there anymore."

psych
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 1:27 pm

I was playing a video game, some sort of FPS cant remember which one. My sisters botfriend was glued to the TV set about 6m away and called me over. I glanced briefly at the images, made some sort of token comment & quickly returned to my game in the next room.

I dont remember being particularly bothered about the 7/7 bombings either. I think it must be a ADD thing.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 1:33 pm

i was in england working during the foot and mouth outbreak.
i had come back from a days slaughtering of cattle and turned the tv on, they had us all in these posh 5 star hotels as the countryside was abandoned during f and m, the pos hotels reduced their rates to get any business.
so i turned the television on and saw the tower burning....i phoned a gf and told her and she was shocked.
i, like waterdogs will rememebr where i was and what i was doing, but the emotional impact is lost upon me. just cant "get it"
i was undiagnosed then thou so the fact that it didnt register with me wasnt an issue.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 1:45 pm

I was at work, when a technician who had been listening to th eradio came up from th elab to tell us. It was at first reported as an accident, and I recalled that a bomber had flown into the Empire State Building in 1945.

The account of the second strike eliminated that possibility, but I was sad rather than surprised or shocked. I already knew something of that scale was bound to happen sooner or later.

Technology multiplies human strength, for good and ill.

julieme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Sep 2006, 2:16 pm

I was really really happy because I'd just been approved to adopt a dog from rescue. She was a lovely little yellow lab puppy and I was too excited to watch the morning news -

I found out what had happened from our HR rep when I put in for three weeks leave to care for her.

I was all bouncy and happy when the HR lady ask if I had heard the news - I beamed and said yes - I'm adopting a puppy.

She then got very quiet and told me. Actually she made me sit down first as my sister in law works for the same company and was scheduled to be in the world trade center (lucky for her the meeting was at noon). It was a very odd two days before I was able to contact either my sister in law or my brother.

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 2:18 pm

um...I can't remeber XD

Pharmacy Techican is not the pharmacist

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 2:24 pm

I remember my dad waking me up, and telling me to turn on CNN. I saw the planes going into the tower, and I guess since my mind wasn't fully awake yet. It was kind of like, "Yeah right..you've got to be kidding" So I kept saying, nah that's an action film..kind of like when people say, the first time they saw something shocking they refused to belive it was real. Then I realized what was happening, and I watched the news the rest of the day cuz I wanted to know if anything worse might happen. Thank goodness, at least nothing worse did happen.

I also remember thinking, that Sept 11th would be our generation's JFK assasination. Like, when we're older people will ask, "Where were you when you heard the towers fell". That it'd also be something we'd tell our children, like how now our parents try to explain the upset and chaos surrounding JFK's murder.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 3:01 pm

me i was in high school at time, i had got done with 1st class(block scheduling) and when i was still in that class i seen a small corperate jet flying lower then normal(when bush said to land all planes) when i was in hall i went to 2nd then came back to go to lunch then seen the custodians trying to get the tv's in the cafeteria to work. i knew something major happened because the tvs arnt suppose to be on in the reguler cafeteria just the senior one. when i went into the senior cafeteria i sat down to look up to see america under attack on bottom and the towers burning. the death toll was up to about 1500 at time and then after lunch i went to the couty technical school and when i entered lobby i seen tv on a cart in front of main office and same channel, cnn news

i then walked across the school campus to the other building were my class was(building and grounds maintenance) teacher just opened the door and every one was all sad looking. my friend leiloni(pronounced lay-loni) (odd name i know) she was crying and wanting to go home because it was her birthday.

in the class we were in the classroom all day while the teacher did nothing but talk about marines and military. (i suspect he had as) other then that my frind nick was listening to his walkman that had a radio and he told us all when the first tower and the second tower went down.

after spending the day in the classroom and listening to my friend nick and the teacher talk about military and radio, i got on bus and seen that the elementry kids were even sad knowing 2 planes hit some buildings in nyc. i then went home after the route. to my mom even being sad and eating rice and ramen noodle soup. my dad then came home from work like as if nothing ever happened. we told him and he jokingly was saying that we are all going to die of bombs and attacks and when we least expect it making missile drop noises (whistling from high to low) and pounding on couch cushion to sound like muffled machine guns.

after that for next few weeks or months 24 hours a day the skies were quiet and the only sounds were the air force jets flying around looking for any planes violating the no fly order by pres.

about 3 months later someone brought in a tape into the technical school (a documentery) about the events of 9/11 and it was quiete graphic. it showed the firefighters climbing up the stairs to get to the higher floors and some didnt make it. the camera was pointing at window and every 30 seconds you would hear a loud crashing noise and screams. the noise was bodies of people falling on cars below and on street in front of building. they tryed their best to airbrush out the falling bodies but they missed a few :cry:

that night and for about next few months i would stay in bedroom if i wasnt in school i would listen to radio or look at news online.

i stayed awake most of the time fearing another attack even though the military jets were flying over.

sorry i know it was long.