What do you remember from September 11?

Page 2 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2006, 12:36 am

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
rocklobster wrote:
Werbert, you're not really a skinhead are you?

I hate Illinois nazis. Ever parade in front of me and I'll drive my Dodge Monaco thru you bastards :evil: - lol :D

*Quickly cancels planned march through Victoria* You know, hating a person for their beliefs makes you just as big a bigot.

Anyway, I am not a skinhead, and I will spare this board my boring recollections of that terrible day. I will just quote my teacher who announced the attacks to my class at about 8:30AM Central Daylight Time, September 11, 2001.

Werbert's geometry teacher: "This is a terrorist attack, y'all."

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2006, 1:00 am

werbert wrote:
*Quickly cancels planned march through Victoria* You know, hating a person for their beliefs makes you just as big a bigot.

I'm on a mission from God. - Joke from the Blues Brothers for those too young to know the film or if the joke is too subtle. :D I thought everyone knew the Blues Brothers - it was a big cult movie here. In one scene, John Belushi says to Dan Akroyd (Dan's only good movie IMO) "I hate Illinois Nazis" and drives their car (an ex b&w cop car) thru the parade and then the nazis and an ex wife and a cop are all trying to kill them. Great movie. Get it if you haven't seen it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2006, 8:53 pm

I was more touched by the Routemaster's demise, than I was by 911. I'm sorry for appearing to be Anti-US.

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2006, 9:28 pm

I had a birthday party that day. I didn't realize how serious it was for several hours.

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2006, 9:44 pm

I wasn't really sad when it happened.. i felt badly for the people going through it.
I was in my social studies class it was very strange how things happened...I even remember what we were talking about(probably because it had a lot to do with 911)..

i remember it was a sunny morning... the sky got darker for a few days after. even though i was about two hours from where it happened but it still turned like that.. it look like an overcast day.. I know the this was because of towersbecause it was supposed to be sunny but it was darker than it should have been.

when i saw people jumping(not falling) from the buildings i started getting upset and my anxiety was the worst in a while... the jumping was really scary. I came home and saw replays of the towers falling and the planes flying into them. I think that was when i realized what was going on and how big of a deal it was.

I found out when one of the women at the front desk came in and whispered it to my teacher. she was a very loud whisperer.

In german my teacher screamed at the class because the kids in another class of his were making fun of what happened...

The only good thing i remember about that was that we didn't have to take any tests for a while afterwards.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

13 Sep 2006, 9:47 pm

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
werbert wrote:

I'm on a mission from God. - Joke from the Blues Brothers for those too young to know the film or if the joke is too subtle. :D I thought everyone knew the Blues Brothers - it was a big cult movie here. In one scene, John Belushi says to Dan Akroyd (Dan's only good movie IMO) "I hate Illinois Nazis" and drives their car (an ex b&w cop car) thru the parade and then the nazis and an ex wife and a cop are all trying to kill them. Great movie. Get it if you haven't seen it.

I knew what you were talking about I see the movie ten times atleast! :) What about
Chevy Chase when he takes his family to Wally World thats another great movie for
us old timers.

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

13 Sep 2006, 11:34 pm

I was living in New Mexico at the time and had decided I was going to get a "hot tub", having had one for many years before in previous locations. I was going to go down to Alberqueque to take a look at what was available and decided to call a friend in Calif. who had one. At this point I had no idea about the "attacks" until he mentioned that he wouldn't be flying that day and I asked him why.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2006, 11:34 pm

I have never seen that movie, but a local radio station makes liberal use of that quote.

Kamex
Raven
Raven

14 Sep 2006, 9:25 am

I was home, for whatever reason, and my Mom told me to turn on the TV. I turned it on without needing to change the channel and just sat there, completely stunned. I felt like I wasn't inside my own body, like it was a dream...

Then I flipped out and lost it. I started screaming and crying, which was followed by the worst bout of self-injurous behavior I ever had (I still have a single scar from scraping my whole body with my nails, and I had bruises on my head for a while from pounding it).

Finally, I went temporarily insane. I concluded that GOD could never have let such a terrible thing happen, and therefore he couldn't exist - that only Satan existed. I vowed to worship the great Satan because that was all there was (Like I said, insane). I decided to express this, and other very, terribly depressing and/or even more irrational opinions on a forum I frequented (like that an army of fried eggs had hijacked the airplanes, and that a frequent rankless poster had built the towers by herself and had designed them to come down (I didn't even hate this person, and she was scared for me instead of mad)), which got me permanentely banned in 3 hours. This was followed by more screaming and crying, followed by me taking my security blanket out of the closet (I've only done that 4 times in my life since I put it in there) to cuddle it. I was then up the entire night crying with my blanket and stuffed animals, and did not reach a state of emotional normalcy until the afternoon of the next day. After that, I remained quite depressed for about another week.

That can be thought of as a sort of "climax" of my life's fits, since there was noticable permanent improvement in them after that, and they've been getting better ever since (zero progress was ever made prior to 9/11). No idea why. I also cannot understand why this bothered me so much when other events didn't. Perhaps it had something to do with the footage I saw.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2006, 10:07 pm

i was teaching class when the OT came and told me....i really thought she was joking..........

15 Sep 2006, 12:32 am

I was in my room sleeping when my father came in telling me about the planes crashing and I got mad at him because I didn't care becase planes have crashed before, so what. I got out of bed few minutes later and I see the World Trade Centers on fire and dad told me the planes were hijacked and they had crashed in two other places. I still didn't care but was sad it had to be the World Trade Centers. I get ready as usuallike Tuesday was a nomral day. Then i go to school and my chior teacher has the TV on in there and it is showing the World Trade Centers and I don't understand why it's a big deal and my teacher and my rsource teacher aid kept telling me they were hijacked so I fianally asked what it meant because I had never heard that word before. They told me the people from Afganastan had taken over the planes but I still didn't understand because how do you take over a plane. So I kept asking questions until I understood and then I realized the planes crashes were on purpose, not from plane errors. I keep watching the news and the girls in my class are talking about it. Then I notice both of the towers were gone and I kept asking where were they and then they showed a movie of them falling down and I asked why did that happen. It reminded me of the game Rampage. I didn't understand why they collasped all of a sudden. I remember I was mad at the people who did it and I wanted them to fry in the electric chair even though I didn't believe in capital punishment, nor the execution method but I was so angry. Then the girls started to talk about WWIII and I got scared because I thought there were going to be drafts and more of our towns and buildings would get destroyed and I was scared our area be bombed too but my resource teacher kept telling me there is not going to be a WWIII but I was so upset, she took me back to the resource room. My next classes weren't very great either because all the teachers had us do was watch the news so I was taken back to the resource room. There was a TV in there too and the resource teacher had the news on all day too. The whole thing got boring for me quick because it was repeating the story over and over. Adfter telling the whole story, they start it over again and it was redundant. It went on for the next few days and then the classes went back to normal except I didn't have my culinary art teacher because she happened to be in Mexico when the incident happened so she was stranded down there. I felt my frustrations for her because I was imagining me being down there instead of her.
It took me three weeks to get over the incident but I know there are still people out there who aren't but I don't blame them. I didn't lose anyone in the 9/11 and they did.

DaveB78
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2006, 9:33 pm

Regardless of where you were or what you remember of that day, the very same people that carried out that cowardly attack are plotting and planing more attacks here in the US and in Europe, and all over the Globe. Victory in Iraq is essential to the overall effort in this war...look at the geography of the region for one clue as to why. They go by many names and come from many locations but share an ideology. They are Takfiris and Caliphatists and they are serious about what their intentions are. It will be up to us whether we have the will to remain free.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2006, 4:53 am

DaveB78 wrote:
Victory in Iraq is essential to the overall effort in this war....

Iraq was and is a disastrous distraction. Not enough troops for Afghanistan, for one thing.
Creating at least as many terrorists as we are eliminating, for another.

And pretty much our fault. As was and is the Palestinan/Israeli conflict, and the condition of Iran. Research your history to see what the British, Americans, and to a degree the French did to set this up.

Yes, the attacks of 9/11 were terrible and criminal. But please don't pretend they came out of nowhere.

And we will not remain free by the method of killing more of them than they kill of us.

DaveB78
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2006, 7:13 am

Are you related to a fellow named Chamberlain?

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2006, 12:43 pm

I remember being at school (UK) and being told about it and then going home and watching it on holiday.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2006, 1:33 pm

DaveB78 wrote:
Are you related to a fellow named Chamberlain?

That miss didn't even hit the right planet.

I didn't say 9/11 was right, or should be appeased, and I suggested MORE troops should have been committed to Afghanistan.

Please point out the Chamberlain correspondence, if you can.

The terrorist threat should be dealt with in proportion. Currently it is absorbing far too much media, public and political attention, and way too much funding, compared to the things that are killing people prematurely in their hundreds of thousands, which don't make the news in the same way.

A hundred Americans were killed today.

By Americans driving cars.

Not news? Matters less? (Matters just as much to those involved!) Sorry, if you want your death remarked by the world, and reacted to, you'd better die in some newsworthy style.